How to edit alt.res sounds

How to edit alt.res sounds; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

How to edit alt.res sounds

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

I could use some advise, I know the proper format for the wav files used. This is not my problem. The sound file will play just fine while images slideshow runs. On the last image I hear a beep, So I thought file was too long. So I cropped it this got rid of beep, but image still freezes at that point.

Tethys has been kind enough (with a little blackmail help) to create sound files for UDM3.0.1 (he needed them anyway). It is almost like it has a key in file to end images to go to retire screen? I have tried to hex edit file to match the vanilla file with no luck (header/footer) file will still play in media player 38 sec long. but when in game file plays 44 sec long. I know Tethys did edit file not sure if it was cropped or with time correction. I am sure he will post in morning.

any ideas? I don't think any one has tried to make any yet but if they have please help :wink:

EDIT; I just ran one more test before I went to bed and I may have figured this one out. 8) At least I hope. The test I did was I took vanilla file directly after header wrote all 0's to end of file keeping file exact same size. Then did test run, No sound but it did go to retire screen. So this tells me there is no key to end images. Tomorrow I will test with new file. So Tethys files must be under original length (2 sec silent lead in and out) :wink:

it worked it worked 8) :D

thunderchero
Last edited by thunderchero on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

so your saying that instead of 38 seconds it must be 34 seconds in length?
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

It is best to keep files about same length in time to match image timimg.

file format info;
IMA ADPCM
22.050 KHz
4bit
stereo
21 kb/sec

best to use windows "sound recorder"

thunderchero

Return to “How to edit alt.res sounds”