Ultimate Dominion Mod III - Beta Info

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Ok, All the suggestions are great, But very overwelming.

As far as all klingons ships having cloak and the early ships, myself and siggi have let some models in from pre TNG in game (klingon raptor). but for the most part we feel game starts in DS9 era not Enterprise era. And that is why all klingon ships have cloak and you will not see many enterprise era ships. But on other hand future ships are more likely to be added to mod.
stardust wrote:Aha, i spy the Titan class returning to battle :D
Yes it is, But I still have not heard siggi's opinion on if it will stay in mod. I gave it the class of Juggernaut.
I am also redoing ships for Uncivil Wars.

thunderchero
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

eber3 wrote:a question. I know that this is a hold over from the Ferengi, but is there a way to make the dominion non aggression act like the other majors? If the Dominion/Ferengi enter a non aggression the other empires worlds are all revealed meaning that you can't now bribe any of the reveled minors. Is there a way to make just the territory reveal itself instead of the systems names and minors? You, know like how the non Dom/Fer majors are when they enter a non aggression
This is similar to the trade routes which the ferengi/dominion can make without a treaty.

Thunder, would a way of settling this be to swap the Federation and the Dominion around. I know this will mean renaming all the files, but then the Feds would have the trade routes which would seem more cannon that the Dominion.
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

@ sean_west

this would have been nice to do, but it is a little more complacated than just changing file names. All sound files, all entries for each name and lexicon.dic, planets and other files. I know I did this in UCW. and had problems for months till I found everything that needs to be changed.

thunderchero
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

sean_west wrote: Thunder, would a way of settling this be to swap the Federation and the Dominion around. I know this will mean renaming all the files, but then the Feds would have the trade routes which would seem more cannon that the Dominion.
But then the problem would just move from the Dom to the Feds. Maybe the files for the Feds could just be copied and used to replace the Ferengi files?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

eber3 wrote:
sean_west wrote: Thunder, would a way of settling this be to swap the Federation and the Dominion around. I know this will mean renaming all the files, but then the Feds would have the trade routes which would seem more cannon that the Dominion.
But then the problem would just move from the Dom to the Feds. Maybe the files for the Feds could just be copied and used to replace the Ferengi files?
The files are not the problem. The trek.exe controls this, and no one has found where it is at in trek.exe yet :wink:

thunderchero
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

@Thunder,

I don't suposse you kept a list of all the files you had to change for UCW?

If you did, can you please mail it to me and I will have a go.
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Modifying trek.exe would be an easier and less error prone way to do it. If we knew how to do it.

There are some values in trek.exe that I found concerning the trading behavior, but I haven't found them all so I never posted this before.

Anyway, here are the values:

Trading with minor races:

0x46DBB - the id of the race that can trade with minor regardless of treaty
0x46E5C - same as above

GUI warning messages (no friendship treaty or higher etc.)

0xD7B6E - race id to be ignored
0xD7AFA - same as above
0xD7B9C - same as above

What is missing is the check for trading with empires. Setting the values above to > 4 will disable trading without treaties, but not between empires.

Basically if you set the message race ids to > 4, a Ferengi player will get a warning if he has no friendship yet and won't be able to trade. But once he has friendship with anyone - he can trade with any empire regardless of treaties.

The AI isn't affected by the messages - so it can trade with empires from the start - but can't trade with minors.

The function that handles empire trading is the one used for trading with minor races, but in case of an empire it's reading dynamic values from memory. One would need to figure out what code writes to that memory to then be able to change that code. I haven't figured out yet how if at all the tools I have can track writes to memory.
thrawn2247
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by thrawn2247 »

Hi, I recently checked back into this site and noticed UDMIII was looking really enticing, so I downloaded and installed. Love the mod, btw. However I'm having significant load lag with battles that I never noticed before. You click to fight the battle manually and if there are more than about half a dozen ships it starts going stutter-stutter-stutter until the camera has panned back to show the entire battlefield. This repeats after every turn in the battle. Just wondering if this is a known problem or if there's something I can do on my own to improve performance. Incase you're wondering:

Installed botf off the iso from the download section
Installed joker's newest patch included with UDMIII and then installed the mod 3.0.h

System specs:
Athlon 64 X2 5400+
2 GBs RAM
Radeon HD 3600
WinXP Pro w/ Service Pack 3
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

@thrawn2247,

there is a new EXE that fixes a few problems with special ships. You can download exe from here;
http://www.4shared.com/file/56930509/6572e87c/trek.html

you just need to copy it to BOTF folder and over write older file.

As far as lag you are talking about I have not seen a long lag until more than 50 ships in same battle but this is due to the high poly ship models in UDMIII. Most player enjoy the seeing the nicer looking ships and will over look lag. :wink: just a note plans for next update are to increase the time to build ships so battles will have fewwer ships.

Also I Have not heard from siggi since last friday not sure if computer is still giving him problems or not, but will be tring to get next update ready soon but will be a week or so before it will be ready.

thunderchero
ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by ZeroChance »

AFAIK, I have the most recent update, but I haven't been able to keep up with this thread as much as I used to thanks to real life getting in the way again...

Tonight I've found time to play a little bit and I've noticed that Attack Fighter III has a galactic speed of 3 and the IV has a galactic speed of 2.
Deano23285
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Deano23285 »

thunder i get a error message when downloading the new exe, it says i don't have mss32.dll when i know i have, ive down a total reinstall, used jokers patch and have the lastest version of UDm3 but am stumped to why its not working
JayJohn85
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Sovereigns?

Post by JayJohn85 »

Man I cant build bloody dreadnoughts as feds with that ultimate dominion mod I have downloaded latest one that came with its own installer and joker patch....I can play the sides the rest seem fine but with the feds I cant build bloody sovereigns I dont give a fook about constitutions I want my sovereigns!

PS> I am download a exe hopefully that will fix it, Excuse my brash manner but not having access to capital ships when the carddies have behemoths like the hutet running about was most perplexing.
siggi
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by siggi »

Hello everyone!

Sorry for my prolonged absence, but once my PC was back up at the start of this weak, my health gave in and I spent some nice cozy days in bed... As a wise Doctor from Georgia once said: It never rains, but it pours. ;-)

I have to very much thank thunderchero for taking over and keeping things roling and also for constantly keeping up the great work he's doing for both our Mod and this forum and its community.

Since both me and my PC have returned to full health now, I would like to reply to all the suggestions you guys made regarding new ship additions for UDM III. (Forgive me if I do not answer everyone's suggestions individually ;-))

As thunderchero has quoted and I have written back on page ten, there are some serious considerations to take regarding what and how many ships we may want to add. Canonicity of the design is only one, and for most of the races in the game it is certainly not the most important one, since there are too few canon designs for them to make up a full-fledged shiplist. The Federation is the big exception here and that is why the limitation to canon ships should apply to them first and foremost.

Another, much more important aspect regarding the addition of new ships are the complexities of the shiplist. Especially for the Feds, the shiplist will be getting really cramped already if we limit the additions to canon ships. The question is, when does much become too much? As much as I love the ships of Trek and love to see them in game, we still need to consider what actual purpose would a new ship serve in the context of the game.

Unfortunately, BotF is quite limited in this regard as there are as little as six distinct categories of ships (cruisers, commands, fast-attacks, strikers, colony ships, transports). Thus, by adding more and more individual ship classes, redundancies are bound to appear which will be increasingly difficult to counter-act with distinct ship stats. Put simple: What reason is there for the player to build a certain ship class apart from looking at a nice new model?

This problem is aggravated by the limitations of the AI shipbuilding routine, limiting most of the ships to be added to human players only. No problem there in multiplayer games but single player games won't profit as much.

Of course, this problem is probably worst for the Feds, which have the largest number of different ships. As of UDM 3.0.h, there are three different classes of scout ships, four different classes of destroyers, four distinct cruisers, three distinct command ships and two distinct strikers. Even if we stretch the tech levels and play around with stats and speeds and ranges, I feel that adding any more classes into any of the categories above creates a redundancy, i.e. the new ship is not really adding new capabilities or provides a distinct advantage.

To rationalize the addition of canon ships such as the Norway, we will eventually introduce a new category, which are frigates. They are basically the strikers among the fast attack ships. Typically lighter shielded and armoured, the have superior torpedo weapons and increased agility in combat. Their galactic range is not as large as those of destroyers or cruisers, and they are not as fast. The purpose is defending and patroling the borders and inner systems of the Federation (that could serve as a canon explanation why they are so seldomnly seen in Trek... ;-)).

Some other classes may upgrade or replace non-canon models in the game, meaning we re-introduce auto-upgrades in a limited fashion, to enable the AI to build the new ships and to reduce the level of redundancy.

Here is a preliminary list of canon Federation ships which can be added to the game in this fashion:

Soyuz-class Frigate (around tech 3, between Miranda I and II)
New Orleans-class Heavy Frigate (around tech 6 or 7)
Norway-class Assault Frigate (around tech 9 or 10)

Cheyenne-class Heavy Destroyer II (possibly upgrading the Constellation?)

As for the Scouts / Surveyors, we can re-order their designations and upgrade patterns in the following fashion.

Surveyor I - Oberth-class
Surveyor II - Nova-class (new ship!)

Heavy Surveyor I - Centaur-class
Heavy Surveyor II - Intrepid-class

Another addition would be the Curry- (Shelley-) class as a military transport, which is pretty much its canon role.

This sums up to six new ships added and expanding the Federation fleet by five new classes (taking into account that the Curry replaces the London-class).

This Mod is not so much about adding whatever ships we can, but to blend new and fine looking models with decent stats and functions to generate improved gameplay and a new feel to the game.

For much the same reason, UDM III will remain focussed on the late 23rd to late 24th century era of Trek. To clarify this once and for all: There will be no addition of ships predating the refit Constitution-class, much less of any ships from the 22nd century. To consequently implement this policy, the Klingon Raptor-class Scout will also be dropped from the game.

UDM III is not so much about how the Federation came to be canonically, but how it would hold up in a galaxy filled with really fearsome enemies and confronted with superior adversaries. The premise of UDM III and related considerations can be found on the early pages of this thread.

But even neglecting the early days of the Trek timeline, there is still much in store and many things to add, so stay tuned... ;-)

Cheers,
Siggi
...of course, this was also true at the Birth of the Federation...

http://www.4shared.com/dir/2718319/cd23df1/sharing.html
Watcher66
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Watcher66 »

This looks just great. Thanks a lot for the work guys. I think this might just fix all the little things that are wrong with this, in general great, game.

May Zeus bless the Modding Community! ^_^
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

I don't know if this has been brought up before but I got the Xepolites to join me at turn 144 and they had no industry structures.

They're at tech 8 and I can build type 8 assembly yards but there are none currently built. Do the minors scrap structures or is this a bug with the Xepolites?

SCREENIE1
SCREENIE2

They've been fully colonized for a good 40 or 50 turns. They were isolated so I waited before bringing them in.
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:

Return to “Modding Information Archive”