Mount botf.iso on a Virtual Drive old posts

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Mount botf.iso on a Virtual Drive old posts

Post by thunderchero »

trevtones wrote:Well I noticed that we lost this thread from the old site. Cleantoe said he would do up another tutorial but that was his only post, so I've decided to do it. I only use daemon tools so if you want to use alcohol 120% or another mounting software just substitute.

Before starting you should also make sure you don't have BotF installed and that the BotF folder is deleted off your hard-drive.

Step 1: Download BOTF.ISO from this site (you'll have to be logged in to do so) and save it in a new folder on your hard-drive, BotF ISO sounds like a fitting name for the folder. Then unzip botfiso.zip using winzip or winrar, google them incase you don't have one installed. You should have botf.iso in that folder now.

Step 2: Download DAEMON TOOLS LITE 3.47 and install it on your computer.

Note: The first version, Daemon tools lite, didnt work for me so scroll down and get the 3.47 version.

Step 3: Once daemon tools is installed you should see a red lightning icon in your notification area. Right click it --> go to VIRTUAL CD/DVD-ROM --> go to Device 0: [*:] No Media --> go to mount image --> find the folder that contains BOTF.ISO and select it. If everything is done properly this should run setup and botf should start to install.

Note: The [*:] is [F:] for me yours may be different.

Step 4: Now all that's left to do is go to the botf folder and create a short-cut for trek.exe and send it to your desktop. At least that's what I do. Now take your CD out of your drive and put it away, it'll be a collectors item soon afterall!!! :lol:

Note: I did this on an XP Pro computer but it should work the same for all versions of XP and Vista. If you have a problem or if it didn't work feel free to PM me. Also I'm sure I've left something out so feel free to add what I've missed.

yeah you forgot install jokers patch from HERE in download section.

thunderchero
Last edited by thunderchero on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Location: South Wales - Not The Australian One, The Other One!

Post by matress_of_evil »

Shouldn't this thread be stickied?
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

"Anyone without a sense of humour is truly at the mercy of the rest of us."
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

thought I did when I posted but was in hurry at work :lol:

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

An alternative to daemon tools is SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive (Freeware).
English: http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html
German: http://www.slysoft.com/de/download.html

works very well for me 8)
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

Has anyone noticed that when you mount botf to deamon tools, it auto plays, a pain if you are modding, but I found the way to disable this.

run the tools, and right click on the system tray icon.
goto virtual cd/dvd rom
then hover over the device listing which appears
the click set device paramaters
the uncheck Auto Insert notification.

Now when you mount an iso, it will not auto play.
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
Anansi
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

A little confused here about running BoTF

Post by Anansi »

So I'm seeing this discussion about using this daemon program. I downloaded it, but it wants to restart my computer. Any particular reason?(just being careful here). Also, I lost my BoTF disc a coupla years ago so I just downloaded the game from this site. From what i've read you need to have the original disc to work with daemon? Or something else? Sorry if this has been asked about many times. I beg your indulgence.
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Daemon tools wants to restart your computer to finish the installation, it's perfectly normal. You should reboot your computer anytime you install new software.

The whole point of using daemon tools is so that you don't need to use a disk while playing. So just follow the instructions in this thread and it should work fine with the ISO.

Have fun playing!
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
Anansi
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Anansi »

trevtones wrote:Daemon tools wants to restart your computer to finish the installation, it's perfectly normal. You should reboot your computer anytime you install new software.

The whole point of using daemon tools is so that you don't need to use a disk while playing. So just follow the instructions in this thread and it should work fine with the ISO.

Have fun playing!
I followed the directions, but after i selected the BOTFISO.ZIP nothing happened. Do I need to unzip to run it? Or go into the zip and select the setup file? Setupe.exe or possible autoplay.exe? And this talk of virtual drive. I haven't created one. I don't know how, I could probably look up instructions. Do I need to do this as well?

Thanks much for any help you can offer! :)
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Oh yes unzip it first and then it will turn into BOTF.ISO

Then you can use daemon tools to launch the ISO.

(I think I'll edit that step into my instructions.)
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

I have a slight problem with this

Have a variety of systems at home from 98se, through XP and Vista (I thought I hated XP until Vista came along, but that's another story!)

On my XP system I used a product now owned by Microsoft but no longer supported called VirtualCD (I think) and this worked fine, following instructions found in this thread

I have Vanilla, UDM 3.0 and UCW installed on my systems and rename folders to switch between versions. The only problem on my XP system was that after installing Joker's patch (I tried various versions) the system was asking for CD when trying to load the game

Can't remember how I got around it, but I think it was by editing the STBOF.INI file. For some reason CD path had to be C:\ and not Z:\ (Z: is my virtual CD drive on this machine)

Now to the problem

On one of my 98se systems I have used Daemon tools (I think 3.47 as newer versions only work on XP forwards) and VirtualCD also doesn't work on 98se either

Again, it works fine, until you use any of the versions of Joker's 1.02 patch and after that the system asks for CD to be inserted. This time I couldn't get around it by editing STBOF.INI and the only way I could get system to work without original CD was to install the 1.02 update that was shipped by Hasbro/Microprose shortly after the game was released

Using this 1.02 update the system seems to work fine with the Daemon virtual drive

Can anyone tell me why and whether this would create any problems, particularly in multiplayer games?

Regards

Pigman
Anansi
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Anansi »

trevtones wrote:Oh yes unzip it first and then it will turn into BOTF.ISO

Then you can use daemon tools to launch the ISO.

(I think I'll edit that step into my instructions.)
Huzzah! It worked, thanks. :) Now only if I can remember how I regularly beat the game at impossible.
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Anansi wrote:Huzzah! It worked, thanks. :) Now only if I can remember how I regularly beat the game at impossible.
Focus on shipbuilding and blitzkrieg the stupid AI!!! :twisted:
chumey
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by chumey »

can't seem to get botf installed ive fallowed
every step but when the image is mouted I get
a message error _setup.dll error 103 ?
can sombody help ?
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Which OS do you use, XP, Vista???

Did you use winrar or winzip to unzip the file?
chumey
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by chumey »

trevtones wrote:Which OS do you use, XP, Vista???

Did you use winrar or winzip to unzip the file?
I use xp pro !
and use winrar to unzip
ill try winzip but I did not think it made a difference?
ill post the result!

Return to “General Chat Archive”