The Borg

BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

SWJ06
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

The Borg

Post by SWJ06 »

I was recently playing a tech level one game (all) on impossible as the Cardassians which had gotten in rather far. I was subjucating minors left and right and the Romulan Star Empire had been the early target of the other computers finding itself eliminated by turn 192. I then fought off large Frengi and Klingon fleets for a good 50 turns before the Federation also decided to join in. I was holding well though with orbitals keeping the federation from advancing at my southern holdings (like 30-40 per planet) and my fleet slowly killing off the Frengi fleet.
Suddenly I get a non agression treaty offer from the Klingons of all people. So I am thinking ok cool, they don't want to fight I can finally finish the Frengi off. Then a few turns later I get an alliance offer from the Klingons for 50 turns to help them destroy the Borg! I accept but am worried about sending my fleet into Klingon territory and having it trapped if they cancel the alliance (which they did in about 16 turns) so I just keep building up ships wondering what it will take for me to take out the Borg. At this point we are in the 300's on the turns and my tech levels are about 7-8's across the board. I moniter from afar as the Borg rip apart the Klingon empire and extinct some minor races, they also apparently are doing a number to the Frengi as well. Eventually they get near my space and my fleet ventures out killing a few cubes and then killing a few more in defense (I believe I have killed five of them to date). Anyway I've noticed they are rather painful to fight and was wondering if there is a magic number of big warships needed to shoot them before they can fire at you. My fleet always kills them in the first round but after taking heavy damage. The only way to lessen my losses that I have found is making a starbase in sector as the Cube always targets the starbase in its destructive round of firing lessening my losses of key ships. Anyway I am in a bit of a bind at the moment with still enough ships to kill a few more cubes but being hit from two areas by the Cubes, one of which I might lose a planet in. The Frengi were recently killed off completely by the Borg on turn 342. I saved and loaded in cheat mode, setting view entire map and noted there are currently 15 borg cubes...and I am down to about 15 big ships so its not looking good at the moment. Though at least all the computers are in worse shape :lol:. I've also noticed cubes are fast (2-3 sector movement per turn sometimes) and they always do the heaviest population damage the first round they fire at a world and then slow down after that.

After all this I can see why a few strategy guides suggested turning off random events to avoid the borg potentially "ruining" your game.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

try using some fast attack ships and set them to avoid to "confuse" the Borg and they will target them in tactical combat first - while you wipe out the cube in the meantime with your bigger ships.

Visit http://www.ewarzone.com and download free warzone client for big/small/little/tall - even more challenging or just for fun games against human players!
you'll find us in #Other Games -> Login=Registration -> Remember your Password

c u there ;)

QAPLA'
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

15 cubes 8O

Even the most stubborn Klingon would have to admit defeat to that.

That said, as you're the Cardassians, build a shed load of fast attack ships and ram the cubes as and when they show up. You'll still lose a lot of ships but destroyers and scouts are easy to replace and i'm guessing you've got plenty of shipyards at that point in the game.

AND by raming you bypass the borg sheilds the damage you do goes onto their hull points :twisted:

And if you don't fancy ramming then KrazeeXXL's strategy is a sound one i've used about a million times.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
SWJ06
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by SWJ06 »

Yea, I guess I better start pumping out fast attacks again, I lost all of mine in the initial couple borg skirmishes...didn't think to have them set on avoid/evade. I don't think any of my ships would survive to get close enough to ram? I mean the distance between a fleet and a cube seems enough you can't really ram on the first round.

Thanks for the advice guys, and keep posting if anyone has other ideas to lessen the losses against the Borg.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

I've noticed with the AI in general they'll take out scouts and destroyers first before taking on cruisers.

And in the Borg's case if you have a large fleet of destroyers on evade it'll waste it's firepowrer trying to gun them down while your cruisers are busy ramming torpedoes where nanoprobes'd rather not go :lol:

Ramming does work but the borg will pick off a lot of ships on the run in that you'd have lost anyway if you'd fought fair against it.

760 hull points or there abouts. In Cardie terms that's two battleships, compared to knocking out 6000 shield points with weapons.

My 4shared folder
zorkedup
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zorkedup »

I tend to use the romulans and it take's 1cloaked fleet(9ships) of scouts and destroyers each to take out 1 Borg cube . that is a total of 18 ships altogether though for one Borg ship with no losses.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

I've used 3 wings of klingon b'rel scouts under cloak to take cubes out before, mind in Vanilla there wasn't much you couldn't take on and win with a wing of b'rels :)

My 4shared folder
randallw
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by randallw »

I believe the Borg kill a specific percentage of a system's populace per turn, rather than a set amount; that's why the largest killing is on the first turn.
Killer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Killer »

I have never had a problem with Borg. Just bring enough cruisers and set them to head straight towards the cube/sphere. It is even better if they have some experience so their phasers do really hit (I still have no idea how can someone miss a Borg cube though :) ).
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

randallw wrote:I believe the Borg kill a specific percentage of a system's populace per turn, rather than a set amount; that's why the largest killing is on the first turn.
Seems so. For ASM-address of the corresponding value see HERE.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
skullmster
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by skullmster »

How the heck did you get 15 cubes?! I only get one per game if that
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

Why is this in the Strategy Guide section? I don't play with Borg anymore. I was playing on a super huge map, finally around turn 200, I finally met my first major empire, the Cardassians. After not fighting them, I put the cheat mode on, and found out the Borg almost destroyed them.

It was no fun, so I restarted a new game and made shure no more Borg.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Elim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Elim »

Such negativity! I dare say that one might consider the Borg to merely represent a more interesting challenge than more conventional foes or random events. Specifically, when the Borg are attacking one's neighbors, then one has the additional challenge of contriving, by way of diplomacy, guile, or force, the means to send a fleet into the besieged territory (if for no other reason than to maintain balance). After all, the destruction of all life in system after system is hardly conducive to efficient empire building, even if you are the only empire left standing when the dust settles. Likewise, if the Borg begin to cleanse an empire that another empire is in a better position to exploit, it can be to your benefit to rush to the rescue, if only to keep an enemy from suddenly gaining access to vast, newly depopulated territories.
Just plain, simple, Garak.
BBob
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by BBob »

Hey guys,

strategie question for UDMIII:

1. How to destroy a Borgsphere best (7777Hull/7777Shields)?

I read about ramming maneuvers but is there an good and sufficient combination/number of ships (T4)? What is your standart combination at T4?

I'm in a super interesting MP game but now the Borg seem to be undefetable and we can abort this one... if there isn't a good tactic from one of you. :D
thx for every answer!
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

i must agree with Elim, i put aside all hostilitis, and help as much as i can, usually distroying the borg for everyone sake, ramming with everything i´ve got.

Live long and prosper

PS: BTW 15 borg cubes, you are doom... but if you survived, then tell me how you did it

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”