Vista problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Also make sure there's no space in the BotF installationpath:

Example:

c:\program files\botf\

:arrow: the space between program & files causes trouble as you describe.

EDIT: As Flocke mentioned below I misread the posting.
Last edited by Spocks-cuddly-tribble on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

the space has only been a problem with warzone as far I remember...
and as far I understand Destroyerofsenses just wants to play a local LAN game using DirectIP.
So the problem might be having a different botf version or some firewall issues.
open the necessary ports for the other pc, each.
that are 2300 to 2400 + 47624 both TCP/UDP (better some more than less)
you may create a trusted zone in your firewall
if you're using windows firewall you have to open ports single by single
ports 2300 TCP, 2350 UDP and 47624 TCP + 47624 UDP should be enough
at least the host needs to accept incoming messages on these ports
you may try cutting off internet and disabling all your firewalls afterwards

additionally vista is having some special security preferences for network
you should have a look to "network and acceptance center" or "Netzwerk- und Freigabecenter" in german
you might have to change to public network or something

although you're sure there are no different botf versions installed, you might just try to reinstall the game on both machines

good luck
Destroyerofsenses
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Destroyerofsenses »

Just re-installed game on both computers, the installation path on both pc's had a space in it, thanks Flocke for letting me in on this little secret :) .

In anycase I reinstalled w/ the same version of botf and the bop mod, gonna test it out right now.

To answer other q's, currently my pc doesn't have any anti-virus, using windows firewall (turned off when im testing it out) my dads is running Norton, but im going to disable it when we test it out tonight.

Both computers are on the same workgroup, on the same router, and we were attempting to use direct ip method, I'm going to give it a shot with the new installs, I'll let you guys know if it works =D.
Destroyerofsenses
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

:x So.... still having a problem! Gonna go through the steps i took to get it to where im a now. Hopefully one of you guys has a hint.

I switched both machines to vista. One using vista ultimate x64(host), other using vista home premium 32bit. I opened all ports on the router firewall that you guys indicated.

Host:
Disable windows firewall.
Disable windows defender.
Start botf in compatability mode win2k, administrator rights.
Select new mp game
Select tcp/ip
Enter host tcp/ip (192.168.2.68, I'm pretty sure I don't have to do this step as the host, but one of you suggested it so I'm doing it just in case)
Enter game name
Enter player name
Enter game parameters/options
Select klingon empire, wait for non-host to join.
Everything seems to work properly on the host computer.

Non host:
Disable live one care completely. Firewall disabled
Start botf in compatability mode for win2k, admin rights.
Select new mp game
Select tcp/ip
Enter host tcp/ip
Enter player name
Select the game on the list
Click on the game and click join.

(here's where it gets strange) The non-host will act as if its about to join, having the join button highlighted, but withing a few seconds the game name will dissapear and the game freezes. Going over to the host, the host game has frozen as well.

I decided to try using WarZone for MP since my dad will be taking the 32bit machine with him on his business trips and it would be nice to kick his butt in the game from anywhere he's at. Here are the steps i took with that:

Host:
Disable windows firewall.
Disable windows defender.
Start WarZone
Create a room
Wait for non-host to join.
Launch
Enter game parameters/options
Select klingon empire, wait for non-host to join.
Everything seems to work properly on the host computer.

Non host:
Disable live one care completely. Firewall disabled
Start WarZone
Enter the newly created room
Click on new mp game.
The game will then freeze on the non host unit.

I used warzone with routing everything around the firewalls/routers and the non-host will get as far as the race selection menu, but when you go to select the race, it doesn't permanently highlight the race you selected. You select the race, and any mouse movement will un-highlight the race name. When the host attempts to start the game it gives the error that not all players have selected a race and it cannot continue until everyone has done so.

I'm gonna check in the forumz about WarZone settings and issues, because it seems to get the game farther then direct tcp/ip for whatever reason.

If you have any suggestiong or have seen this before let me know!

And sorry about taking so lone to post again, fell asleep next to a sleepy girlfriend lol.
barracuda231
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by barracuda231 »

hi

i have installed botf on my vista laptop but it wont run.

it cuts to desktop with the error trek.ICD has topped working??

anyone help please
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

barracuda231,

have you installed joker's patch?

viewtopic.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewd ... ls&lid=120

thunderchero
barracuda231
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

thanks

Post by barracuda231 »

i have installed the jokers patch and it works fine

thanks dude.

this is the first time i have played it on vista, do you know if the cheats are the same as in xp???

thanks again
Destroyerofsenses
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Fixed, yay!

Yeah so I decided to try just using cross over cable to connect my computers. Just to eliminate all other variables and bam it works! I headed down to work and grabbed the dgl-4500 for like $140us replaces all of our switches and lan card with gigabit (just because I could) and now everything works.

Moral of the story? Don't use a busted microsoft router that's older then god. Thanks for all your help guys.
Eudaimonia
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Screen Flicker

Post by Eudaimonia »

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. I'm running Vista 64-bit and whenever I start BOTF, the cursor leaves a trail and elements of the screen constantly flicker. If I start a game, again, icons and text flicker in and out, sometimes disappearing altogether. It's pretty much unplayable; what can I do? I've installed Joker's patch.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I am not sure if this will help, but is it possible to run BOTF in like a 32bit compatability mode? I am not sure if anyone has gotten BOTF to work on 64 bit system. also this could be video problem from how you discribe problem.

other option would be to try multi installer but if 64 bit problem I doubt if it would work either but might be worth a try.

thunderchero
Eudaimonia
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Eudaimonia »

Thanks, thunderchero! I'll try a 32-bit compatibility mode if I can find one; failing that, I'll set up a windows 95 virtual machine.
jha5as
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jha5as »

I've been having the same problem as eudamimonia. Did anyone ever figure out a way to fix this?
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

I'm not too sure if this has been resolved before but I do remember somebody had a problem once when they tried to mount botf.iso onto a virtual drive. Autorun trys to initiate setup.exe but nothing happens, setup.exe is listed in running process's but doesnt actually run. Well I just bought a new laptop with, of course, vista home premium pre-installed and I'm not a vista fan. I had this same problem and my solution was to disable that annoying UAC. Not sure how it fixed it but autorun can run setup without being interrupted by Vista asking you if you want to run setup.exe :lol:

To disable the User Account Control type msconfig in your windows start button search bar. Then click the tools tab and launch the command to disable UAC. After the command prompt screen flashes reboot your computer.

If this has already been resolved let me know......new computers always take some tweaking to get them to run properly :-)

@thunderchero This new laptop is 64 bit and runs botf fine, it automatically runs it in 32 bit.....that is a strange error he's having maybe try re-installing the game from scratch???
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
jha5as
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jha5as »

Still having the same problems with the trailing cursor/display: even after freshly installing the game and fiddling with the compatibility settings. Has anyone found a way around this? I'm gutted cos I miss playing this game!
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Have you tried dulling down what's displayed on the screen like turning off trade routes and population, system names and defence bonuses?
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:

Return to “Support Archive”