XP problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

Dnuhd
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dnuhd »

Thank you all for the links and your help, but sadly nothing work. Just the error message changed. Instead of shut down, the Windows Media Player and the Windows Movie Maker say, that they cant open this type of file. I'm really confused now ^^

*edit*
Okay i install the "ACE Mega CoDecS" again matress_of_evil posted. Now i can play the extracted botf sounds with Windows Movie Maker but i cant import any Videos. Whats going on there???
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

Hmm can't anyone address my crashing problems? I pretty much stopped playing cause I got tired of crashing out of BotF and losing progress...
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

In the last days I tried many settings of my graphics card to avoid crashes. I have an ATI by the way and I'm using the "ATI Tray Tools", because of its many settings, to do this. Everyone hates the crashes, but they're "normal" in this game. maybe you'll find something out. there are many reasons of why it crashes. I dont really know where to start. just try something out and give some resonance about your results, even if the frequency rised up or down, anything would help!
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

This information needs to be re-posted here.

If you want to stop the crashing-while-saving problem, simply hit the Enter key instead of clicking Accept.

This WORKS. Thanks again to Krazee for this vital information.
Hrenvam
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Hrenvam »

Hi , i have cursor problem . In research screen and for exampel game start screen it desapear and i can see cursor only then catch some button . In reseach screen its pain to change needed amount in right research tree.
My system xpSP3+amd
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

That's usualy caused by draging in the bars of the research screen. Go to the research screen then move the mouse left/right a bit without clicking. If one of the bars is changing values click on it and the cursor should reappear.
Gallo
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

can't play

Post by Gallo »

Hi, I just installed the game. I use daemon tool to read the .ccd file in order to play but the game doesn't start anyway. I used the .img files too but nothing better.
I runned the trek.exe file in xp, windows 95, 98, or 2000 compatibility but no way, I can't play.
Can someone help me?
Lord_Zath
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Lord_Zath »

I just recently installed BOTF on my M1730 (Dell). The system FAR beats all requirements. I'm on XP SP3.

My problem is that there's a ton of lag/choppy gameplay when moving the mouse around. The game is almost unplayable showing the large map, and clicking and moving ships takes FOREVER, especially if I need to scroll using the arrow keys. Has anyone else had this problem? I installed Botf-102-W2K-XP-9x-English-German as well as the tactical combat fix...
Lord_Zath
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Lord_Zath »

ok so I tried changing my video card drivers, and the lag's mostly gone! I'm going to mess around with this some more - I can run in SLi, so I'm going to give that a shot.
AdmiralBlood
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by AdmiralBlood »

Hello!

It seems that I am having a problem I have not been able to identify or correct from internet accounts. Myself and a friend just recently installed BoTF to start playing again. Unfortunately, I do not know if it's because we're playing Vista to Windows or something else is happening here.

Basically the scenario is as follows:
Installed game, installed Joker patch.

Game single-player is fine. Played several hours myself, have had no problems.

Go into multiplayer, TCP/IP to play over network. Make game, he joins, client crashes.

He hosts game same way, same thing happens.

Attempt to play the game through Kali II, game crashes no matter who is hosting.

Attempting to play through eWarzone, game crashes, no matter who is hosting.

Basically, we have not been able to find any way to play this game multiplayer successfully and I have not been able to find any explanation through google or even here. I really hope somebody has an answer because we'd really like to start playing again!

Thanks!
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Sounds like you're either having different botf versions, or a firewall is blocking the connection (partially).
You should try reinstalling botf + disabling all firewalls, including windows firewall. Just unplug your internet connection to keep safe, you don't need it for playing botf through network.
If that's still not enough, try disabling the windows defender or what else you have running.

Getting botf to work through network should be an easy task.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Transparency + BotF = §$%&/()#.

I installed Windows 7 Transformation Pack and it kicked me out of the game.

At first it kicked me while playing the intro. I disabled some of the "features" and it ran for some turns. As I thought that it is running properly it suddenly switched back to the desktop... again... and I wasnt able to switch into BotF...again.

after disabling of the whole transparency stuff it seems to work.
at least I can use the better taskbar ;) (thx @captaindusk again)
Makinus
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Makinus »

After year away from BOTF i found this site and tryed to install the game agaisn, but i´m getting a strange error:

The game install normally, starts ok, but thew screen is "off center", with a small bit of the top screen at the botton and a bit of the leftw side at the right.... i can click everytinhg, and play the game, but with the screen in this condition it´s unplayable... any ideas? I´m using XP sp3...

Edit: i tried to get a screen capture of the problem with "Print Screen" but the capture looks perfect.... any ideas?
randallw
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by randallw »

I dusted off the game recently and tried to install it on a XP puter; it may have used to work in the past, can't fully remember ( pretty sure the Microprose patch would crash ). Installation attempt today resulted in this a few times:

Error Starting Star Trek: Birth Of The Federation
The system cannot find the file specified

In other attempts, nothing happens. The setup file appears in the Windows process list, taking no CPU use; other than that the computer acts unaffected as if my setup attempt didn't happen.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

try out thundercheros multi installer. Had the same problem as you and they solved it for me.

1. go to download section and download main multi 1.02. I suggest you to use a download manager to do so.

2. download multi mods
3. install just multi mods with multi mods

voilá

Return to “Support Archive”