Best strat for declaration of war as Federation

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Midersaw
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Best strat for declaration of war as Federation

Post by Midersaw »

Hi,

I was just wondering what the best strategy is to get other races to declare war on you when you are playing as Federation. I've been using spies and making demands from the Cardassians for about 40-50 turns now but they don't seem to care. I do have a Friendship Treaty with them, could that be making a difference?

I have also been making demands of the Ferengi, but no spy work there. The Ferengi are also in an alliance with the Cardassians. Could that be making a difference?

Well I don't know what else to do, they don't seem to care that I am constantly asking them for dough and space, or spying.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

destroy their ships :twisted:

thunderchero
Midersaw
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Midersaw »

thunderchero wrote:destroy their ships :twisted:

thunderchero
The problem I'm having with that is that I can safely occupy the same space as the Cardassians because of the Friendship Treaty. And the Ferengi aren't flying around in neutral space. Is there another way?
Midersaw
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Midersaw »

Another question off topic but I didn't want to start a new post.

How different are the difficulties in game? I'm playing my first game in about 5 years so I just chose Normal. The AI never builds starbases and doesn't seem too good. If I choose Hard or Impossible, how much harder and therefore better does the game get?
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

It's a matter of resource scaling. The higher difficulties the AIs can do all sorts of insane crap that you can't and have credits left over. Oh and with the same planet space they can do better than double you research and intel.
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

AI unfortunately is still useless on even impossible setting im afraid.

For feds......to upset the AI

Colonise a system very close to the AI

Intel them even if u aint gonna get anything.

Use this with ship destroying and will take no time to recieve that war declaration.

JBL
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

That's the annoying thing I've found as the Federation. The few times I've gone out of my way to provoke a war my target has suddenly been endowed with the patience of a saint. :evil:

I've had plenty of times where I've done nothing and had all four empires at war with me by turn 19 though.

As for provacation.

Intel the feck out of them.

Randomly wander into their space and blow up starships, bases etc.

Send them constant money demands.

And seeing as you want a war with them anyway, if you have no treaties with your target, then feel free to scout out and bribe away all their minors.

You'll have range then, and you'll have weakened them without firing a shot :twisted:

Once they've declared war on you, all you need to do is balance the crummy morale you'll be getting by subjujating and bombing them with liberating subjugated minors, colonisation, constantly winning ship battles, and treaties with other empires.

Whatever you do though.
Don't declare war on them yourself. Make them do it.

And if they offer you peace treates once you're at war with them, ignore them. Don't go in and press 'reject' because you'll have rebellion in no time
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Midersaw wrote: I was just wondering what the best strategy is to get other races to declare war on you when you are playing as Federation
Scrap some of your ships and become weak, if the AI feels powerful enough they will declare war on you in short time.

Anoy them and/or be weak. Demand money from them. Ask (Cardis or Fergs) for peace and don't give them money for it. They'll reject (and lose 5 moral points...) Ask for money again. They'll hate you and declare war on you - sooner or later ;)
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

jonboylondon wrote:AI unfortunately is still useless on even impossible setting im afraid.
Uh, not everyone has maximum experience, efficiency and strategy. Even Average can be hard if you don't do things properly. Personally I still play on Hard because I'm STILL learning things even after many games.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

TurboC wrote:
jonboylondon wrote:AI unfortunately is still useless on even impossible setting im afraid.
Uh, not everyone has maximum experience, efficiency and strategy. Even Average can be hard if you don't do things properly. Personally I still play on Hard because I'm STILL learning things even after many games.
JBL says this because he playes his games with all other empires at tech 5 and he at tech 4 :twisted:

My 4shared folder
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

stardust wrote:And seeing as you want a war with them anyway, if you have no treaties with your target, then feel free to scout out and bribe away all their minors.
My personal favorite. :)
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

I would agree with the poster who said show/be weak. The ai knows when you're weak, ie you don't have many ships in relation to him. Many a time as fed I've tried to provoke war by intelling or killing his ships or colonizing close to him, etc etc. to no avail as I was just too strong. Of course you'd most likely only want to be weak at the start of the game.
smallaxe0217
Ensign
Ensign

Post by smallaxe0217 »

If you as the Feds are at a particular level of strength, then they won't declare war on you...they only do it when you're in a weaker position than them.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

marhawkman wrote:
stardust wrote:And seeing as you want a war with them anyway, if you have no treaties with your target, then feel free to scout out and bribe away all their minors.
My personal favorite. :)
That's right...feel the inner Ferengi... :lol:

Seriously though, it is sadisdically funny to dismantle an empire in this way.

I once had a war with the Dominion, took their home system only before they begged me for peace. So I signed it, then systematically nicked all their minos, as without their home system the only dilithium they had left were their minors :twisted:

Needless to say when the second war borke out they didn't last long against me :roll:

My 4shared folder
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

When I play as Feds, I don't care if other empires declare war or not. Either way I don't declare war (unless there are subjugated minors to liberate) as this wouldn't be the Federation way, but instead, I try to colonize as quick as possible, especially systems around the AI home and I try to get all minors to join.

This sometimes means bribing them away, but that is always do-able, and if minors are subjugated, even better, you then have the only viable excuse as the Feds to declare war (I still try to provoke the other empire into declaring war on me though).

If you do all of this quick enough and make sure your fleet destroy as many enemy ships as possible, particularly colony ships and TTs, you should eventually get to situation where you effectively choke the AI empires almost to death and depending on which mod, on a large galaxy they'll only have maybe 5 systems each and will be paralyzed.

It's quite easy to reach point where AI surrenders without ever declaring war on anyone and without bombing any systems.

For what it's worth, that's how I like to play the Feds.

Regards

Pigman

Return to “General Chat Archive”