Tournament For Hardcore Gamers???

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

FATIGUES
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Tournament For Hardcore Gamers???

Post by FATIGUES »

Ok yes Im new but from what ive seen of the way tournament games are played I think a lot of the beauty of the game is being lost to starting empires at higher levels and being develloped. All people do is build Dreadnaughts and strike in force at a single opponent which in my mind takes all of the strategy out of the game and makes it completely dependent upon which minor races you start near. For instance a player who finds Benzites and Cordairans is obviously going to be able to make more ships than his neighbor who found Baku and Risa. My suggestion is that some tounaments start with tech levels at 3 (begining empire) to force players to use destroyers, cruisers, ect. allowing races to devellop more realisticly and enhanceing the historical context of the game in my oppinion. This in turn is going to make for a longer game however with a small map in early rounds it shouldnt take that long. Perhaps it can be a second kind of tournament while leaving the original in place as well. Like two different sports in the Olympics. You have your sprinters and your marathon runners. In the interests of competition I ask you to please consider this idea and for those who read the forum please leave your comments and oppinions here so that the Adminisraitors KNOW you want to see this as well. Or let me know if you if you dissagree with my idea, so I can find you.... (just kidding :) ) I will also be running a poll on this post and please feel free to PM me annytime.
FATIGUES
Duty, Honor, and Dedication
"Give'em Hell..."
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

this topic has been moved to multiplayer games fourm

thunderchero
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Fatigues,

I agree with you that starting at high tech levels takes some of the strategy out of the game as structures are just given to you. I also enjoy games at the lower techs as I'm in control of what structures I make. If I want to concentrate on research I will make more research buildings, etc.

I disagree with you on having minors at lower tech games as these games are the luck of the minors. Personally, I prefer lower tech games to be without minor. When you have minor all you have do do is wait til they 'pop', get membership, then enjoy a huge production and research advantage over your opponent. You win the game because of the minor and not because you are better than your opponent. And at lower tech with a popped minor, you can quickly jump levels and levels of research and make huge fleets that your opponent without popped minor can never compete against. Tournaments should be skill games hopfully removing most of the luck factors.

I would enjoy a lower tech game with you but without any minor. We could agree to no fighting for 100 turn if you want. That way we can both enjoy the 'building an empire' aspects of the game.

Note, there will come a time where we have to fight, that's the nature of this game and the person with the biggest and/or strongest fleet will win.
FATIGUES
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re-Mckar's Comment

Post by FATIGUES »

Please everyone dont misunderstand what iIm saying her in my post. I completely understand the time factor involved in playing this game may not be convinient for some. And I also can appreciate and respect the fact that others may have preferences as far as start conditions for private games held on the net regularly. I have no problem conforming to other peoples wishes in this matter as before a game is started normaly the start conditions are discussed between the players in the room and agreed upon jointly annyway. I am happy to oblige peoples personal preferances most of the time. This post is for the subscribers here at the website to hopefuly consider the IDEA of another type of tounament with a different set of conditions than the ones put forth in the current tournament style. Again look at this idea as opening up a new competition in the Olympic Games. I realy want to know what everyone here at the site thinks about this so if you read this post please discuss the matter with your regular gaming partners and bring the issue to their attention and where they can comment. You may find there are more people interested than you'ed hoped! I pesonaly think you all should also tell the people who are not regular BOTF players about this game and people you meet inside the lobbys of the staging areas where you play about this site and its content to increase our membership #s. Finaly I belive it may be a catalyst for more involvment here at the site, hopefuly generating new players online, increased room occupancy and perhaps even donations to keep the site going strong for years to come. Thank you for your interest in this matter everyone.
FATIGUES
"Give'em Hell..."
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

I believe there has been tournament rounds starting at t3 already. Read my post, I agreed with you except taking out minor, ie removing a luck factor.
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

Hmm, I do understand your points well Fatigues, but what I miss in the MP is the flavor of Star Trek. As soon as we can provide a MP savefile with a canon map, I will be happlily playing the Dominion War with those interested in. This though also on a Roleplay level, not only as a strategy game. Maybe with nice AAR after each encounter, and from all sides of the front.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !
FATIGUES
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re-Mentat

Post by FATIGUES »

Mentat wrote:Hmm, I do understand your points well Fatigues, but what I miss in the MP is the flavor of Star Trek. As soon as we can provide a MP savefile with a canon map, I will be happlily playing the Dominion War with those interested in. This though also on a Roleplay level, not only as a strategy game. Maybe with nice AAR after each encounter, and from all sides of the front.
You'll pardon my ignorance as I'm rather new to the site and dont understand all of the abreviations people use when they're messaging. Im affraid I dont understand what an AAR is. Im also rather puzzeled as to what a canon map is. youre help in deciphering these terms would be appreciated. But as far as the section of your reponse I did understand I would be more than willing to endulge in a role playing game based on a more historicaly accurate point of veiw. I personaly think that would bring an interesting twist to the game. However because of the random nature of the game I simply find it hard to see this idea manifesting successfully. I find it more feasible to have a game starting with Dominion/Cardassian begining the game as one team and Klingon/Federation as another team with a computor controlled Romulan Empire. This would enable a fair playing field with a nutral AI empire to tip the scales through diplomacy as in the TV series. Romulans being what they are could float either way based on how the war is going. Remember the eppisode of DS9 when the Romulan fleet uncloaked at the station to join the war effort against Dminion and her allies? Picture a scenario in which the Romulan fleet uncloaks and deals a devistating blow to the combined Klingon/Federation fleet. Pretty cool huh? Deffinetly it can be done but this kind of tournament would be more like playing Doubles in Tennis with again(to reitterate) a team of two designated partners at the start of the match to the finnish. Thank you very much for your interest in this topic! This should also fix the problems associated with the question surronding the question of th so called "BORG COLLECTIVE" which seems to be causing quite the controversy here at the site. I personally think what they are doing in the tournaments is unsportsmanlike and I call foul. If you want to gang up on somebody you should at least be willing to make it a fair fight in some way. Not while hes already fighting for his life in another direction. So if you wanna team up make sure thats everones intentions from the very begining.
Last edited by FATIGUES on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FATIGUES
"Give'em Hell..."
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

@FATIGUES,

why quote without a comment, and against rules of spaming

are you asking him to explain?

thunderchero
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

@Fatigues:

My appologies Fatigues, you are quite right to a point here, I should have been more clearly.

AAR - "After Action Report" is a commonly known term used in the gaming comunity, especially in turn based strategy games to describe a summary of the events that have taken place throughout a campaign from the view of one player. Can have intense Roleplay content.

RP - "Roleplay" A late 20th century innovation giving a person control over a fictious being, often with unnatural or supernatural abilities. The entity is then played according to its abilties and character outline with at least a bit of "acting" by the player. For having a stage, the player needs a so called Dungeon Master (DM) who makes up a story with a destinct plot in which the player has to overcome obstacles. Sometimes the often erratic behavior of the player though directs the DM into a completely new situation, so that he has to alter his story accordingly. To make it a more enjoyable interaction other players often take part in this story. ;)

Canon - Canon (fiction) a body of works considered genuine or official within a fictional universe (-> from wikipedia)
Thus a canon Map would be a BOTF Map that shows the stars, spacial phenomenae and planets where they are said to appear on offical (So called "canon") Star Trek Maps and other Ressources.

If you check the forum for my Domion Wars thread, you will find my first Effort to create such a map(not compatible anymore). This still came with some complications, of which though most have been sorted out with help of Thunderchero, and thus with any luck, the next scheduled, non testing version of UDM might come with just such maps available to play in. Be it SP or MP, or MP in Roleplay style.

And as for your doubts that this can work out; I just can tell you, it does. Its just the hell of a work. ;)
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !

Return to “Multiplayer Games”