TOURNAMENT 4 2009 "VANILLA" - NOW OFFICIAL!!

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

TOURNAMENT 4 2009 "VANILLA" - NOW OFFICIAL!!

Post by jonboylondon »

Hi all.... :P

Vanilla MP Season 09/10 - Tornament 1

--------------------------------------------

Tornament is played, done and re-starts immediately with Tournament 2 - season 09/10 continues.....all welcome!

Win = 3 Points
loss = 1 point

withdrawal = -1 point and loss of any prior points achieved in the tornament only (ranking points not lost from prior tornaments)

1st tourny finishes points board will be in place, next torny same again and points added to the first creating a ongoing ranking.

This ranking as it goes on will form the seeding for the position of start in next torny in same way as Wimbledon or US Open in tennis.

So top of the Bracket will be 1st seed, 2nd seed at bottom etc.... very simple and easy format. (Prob max of 6-8 seeds) Unseeded players or seeded players playing a higher seed will get choice of game settings and first choice of race. This will ensure a sporting chance to the underdogs but will still keep the pros away from eachother in early draws.. (supposedly!) It will also vary the games. :D (a slight tweak on RSE)

Klingons may not be selected at T5...period. :wink:

2 Weeks per round no extensions should time expire counts as a withdrawal....

--------------------------------------------

Also results from this tornament can easily be incorporated into a future Ladder/Pyramid...

Also this tornament is theoretically infinite in numbers who can play....(though im guessing 16-24 per torny) and can incorporate a wildcard if any older players want to join who may return.

I would be Happy to run the first tornament and continue but in any change its such a simple format and can be maintained amongst the community and will cause no debatable results or rankings.

First 16 sign up and lets get the ball rolling once thats done ill draw up Bracket (few days grace between so if additional numbers request it can expand but no more than a few days!

Names please below and please include your timezones... :wink:

Good Luck to all

JBL

:P :P :P :P

Signup list as follows:

Jonboylondon
Fatigues
Severenth
Carcher
Dissy
Chris
Pigman
Mickar
Jiggypuff
dxchaos
kimino (enterprise)
ruthlessferengi
abunaiAite
CptPugwash
Lupus
Tum
Last edited by jonboylondon on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
FATIGUES
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

RE-??

Post by FATIGUES »

Okay this is my attempt at signing up for the tourny. Hope Im doin it right!
Pacific Standard Daylight time.
Last edited by FATIGUES on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
FATIGUES
Duty, Honor, and Dedication
"Give'em Hell..."
severenth
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by severenth »

I'm in, lets get a vanilla shakes n vanilla ice creams n well, you know the rest :P
Last Multiplayer Game :-
update pending
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

(Cough cough... puts on his best vorlon voice...)

"...and so it begins...."
[bonk!]
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Hi JBL

A couple (sorry it was three) of questions before I throw my hat in the ring.

First, when you say Vanilla, do you mean true unadulterated v1.02, straight as it comes on the disk but with the official 1.02 patch?

Second, I take it you're proposing to continually roll out same, competition after competition?

Third, is this tournament sanctioned by admins and as such will the winner be crowned Multiplayer Vanilla Champion?

Regards

Pigman
carcher
Commander
Commander

Post by carcher »

yep i'm up for it .102 or 103?
my tz is british summertime ( supposedly)
Last edited by carcher on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky....and one day mickar.....one day.....one sweet day......HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY DAYS :D
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

Pigman wrote:Hi JBL

A couple (sorry it was three) of questions before I throw my hat in the ring.

First, when you say Vanilla, do you mean true unadulterated v1.02, straight as it comes on the disk but with the official 1.02 patch?

Second, I take it you're proposing to continually roll out same, competition after competition?

Third, is this tournament sanctioned by admins and as such will the winner be crowned Multiplayer Vanilla Champion?

Regards

Pigman
- No probs will be 1.02 with bug fixes... Old skool as many asked for....

- Yes it will be a rolling tournament (but not all im sure will be signing up each time :wink: ) but there enough players i believe to make a tourny going on most of the time. :D

I think as well that it would be best to run maybe between the rotating mods tourny to avoid clash and also there always seems to be a swing back to vanilla after a period of Mod playing.... :wink:

- Admins have advised that anyone may run a tourny... :D but this is seperate from Thunders Rotating Mod Tourny and no there will be MP champion as the tournament will create seedings and more data for ladder/pyramid to be accurate...Its a simple format that will allow the MP community to have something going on pretty much all the time. Also you will be able to get a good idea of the good players very shortly after a few tournaments. You could also bring in the rankings system between (whichever one you choose) and just before new tournament use that to help the seedings.

----------------------

In example the results from the first tournament will give you a pyramid or a ladder should you choose. Then its up to the system you choose (say ladders with its rules of challenge or pyramid with its!! :wink: ) You could if you so choose continue to utilise the 3 points win 1 point loss points for you ladder/pyramid or just switch around up to you. Its a simple sports based system thats simple easy and always tends to create a fair idea of who is good and whos not using simple math.

Also seedings make tornaments much more fun :wink: :wink: :wink: especially when they fall which happens sometimes!!

Tournaments as well are more fun every now and then as i think they will draw in one or two new players each time... :D More of an event i think...!! :P

JBL
[bonk!]
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Hi JBL

Sorry to keep asking questions, but I'm a kinda dot the "I"s and cross the "T"s person and want to know exactly what I'm signing up for.

I want to do this openly on forum, just to help everyone know exactly what the format is.

OK, to use you analogy, I take it that this is a ranking tournament, but not a Grand Slam event? Winner won't be champion, but just tournament winner.

Regarding use of 1.02 (with bug fixes), can someone identify which bug fixes exactly are being incorporated, as some consider that some things that have been called bugs are in fact aspects of the game that can be exploited tactically.

I only want to know so that all have a clear idea on what now will work and what won't.

No Klingons at T5!!

OK, I understand the reason why, but at T5 this will only leave one cloaked empire and I suspect that with their Intel advantage on top of cloaking, the Romulans will become the new Klingons. Therefore, although I would prefer to leave 1.02 as it is, if it means banning a complete empire choice is it beyond the wit of man to reduce the strength of the K'Vort to balance the gameplay?

Are there rules banning any so called exploits? i.e. Training using the EDO guardian. BTW, if you ban the Klings at T5, it's only the Roms that can take advantage of this (or an empire that's stolen a hatful of cloakables).

Observation regarding number of tournaments/competitions.

This competition may be a really good idea. Number of sign-ups will dictate it's success, but I know there has been interest from some of the die-hards (I probably include myself) in running a hierarchy based system (hierarchy being my speak for ladder/pyramid), and I wonder if running this alongside thunderchero's Rotating Mod tournaments and a hierarchy based competition can all sit together.

Maybe they'll all be supported, but maybe they'll all be watered down?

Once I really know what I'm in for, I'll decide if I want to be involved, that way you'll know I'm really committed. Better than me signing up and later deciding to pull out. I hate that and I think everyone else does too.

If that means I miss out on sign up by the time I decide to enter then ces't la vie.

Sorry if I'm being a real pain.

Regards

Pigman
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

Sorry to keep asking questions, but I'm a kinda dot the "I"s and cross the "T"s person and want to know exactly what I'm signing up for.

I want to do this openly on forum, just to help everyone know exactly what the format is.
No probs... :D
Pigman wrote:OK, to use you analogy, I take it that this is a ranking tournament, but not a Grand Slam event? Winner won't be champion, but just tournament winner.
Spot on... think of it like the ATP tour rather than the Grand Slams.... I think a few players have been angling for a more ongoing ranking system and this will fill the data to create this whichever system is used as its based on simple math. Also seedings gives a similar feel to a rank as its a judgement on how you may perform rather than how you have and really helps keep it balenced.
Pigman wrote:Regarding use of 1.02 (with bug fixes), can someone identify which bug fixes exactly are being incorporated, as some consider that some things that have been called bugs are in fact aspects of the game that can be exploited tactically.

I only want to know so that all have a clear idea on what now will work and what won't.
Fair enough its 1.02 as downloaded from the multi installer - straight out... Edo training is not acceptable but phantom dill is if you know how. I cant think of any other cheats worth mentioning....
Pigman wrote:No Klingons at T5!!

OK, I understand the reason why, but at T5 this will only leave one cloaked empire and I suspect that with their Intel advantage on top of cloaking, the Romulans will become the new Klingons. Therefore, although I would prefer to leave 1.02 as it is, if it means banning a complete empire choice is it beyond the wit of man to reduce the strength of the K'Vort to balance the gameplay?
Sorry - (i'll maybe ok T5 small ok for klings but thats only if all in tornament agree and certainly not at T5 med/large....) Please dont forget though lower ranked players get choice of settings and map. Id be happy to play vs roms as cards at t5 personally but if you are not you have a choice! :wink:
Pigman wrote:Are there rules banning any so called exploits? i.e. Training using the EDO guardian. BTW, if you ban the Klings at T5, it's only the Roms that can take advantage of this (or an empire that's stolen a hatful of cloakables).
See above Edo training is a no no.... :!:
Pigman wrote:Observation regarding number of tournaments/competitions.

This competition may be a really good idea. Number of sign-ups will dictate it's success, but I know there has been interest from some of the die-hards (I probably include myself) in running a hierarchy based system (hierarchy being my speak for ladder/pyramid), and I wonder if running this alongside thunderchero's Rotating Mod tournaments and a hierarchy based competition can all sit together.

Maybe they'll all be supported, but maybe they'll all be watered down?

Once I really know what I'm in for, I'll decide if I want to be involved, that way you'll know I'm really committed. Better than me signing up and later deciding to pull out. I hate that and I think everyone else does too.

If that means I miss out on sign up by the time I decide to enter then ces't la vie.

Sorry if I'm being a real pain.

Regards

Pigman
I do hope it will and im sure it will too... :D :D :D We have got a good crew here for mp now - we just need to make it happen ourselves!! We also pick up players each tornament it seems which will only help.

Also to run any kind of ranking system you are going to need data - at present wz is a quiet place really with regulars but when there is a tourny the numbers swell..... :D Also as and you suspected too, the die hards as you call them will play in any tornament mostly, are most deserving of the rankings on offer, and look to achieve them. 1.02 is a tested and working mp in almost every sense and familiar to all.

JBL
[bonk!]
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Hi JBL

OK, I'm happy with most of what you've said, maybe Klingon T5 issue aside, so how you going to monitor if the Romulan player is "cheating" by using the EDO Guardian training cheat, or is that just down to honour?

I.02 as installed on Multi-installer presumably allows decent raiding, ship scrapping to maintain large fleet etc.

If you're going to allow lower ranked player to choose conditions, how wide a choice do they have?

Regards

Pigman
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

Klingon should be allowed on t5, just kvort shud not cloak!

DISSY THE CONQUER HEREBY SIGNS UP FOR VANILLA PWNAGE.

FEAR MY WRATH WHETHER I PLAY FERGS OR KLINGS THOE WILL FEEL THE BITTER TASTE OF DEFEAT AGAISNT MY MINIONS!

you all better get practicing.
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

OK, I'm happy with most of what you've said, maybe Klingon T5 issue aside, so how you going to monitor if the Romulan player is "cheating" by using the EDO Guardian training cheat, or is that just down to honour?

I.02 as installed on Multi-installer presumably allows decent raiding, ship scrapping to maintain large fleet etc.

If you're going to allow lower ranked player to choose conditions, how wide a choice do they have?

Regards

Pigman
Yeah scrapping and raiding so all familiar - as for Edo - Honour has always worked but often you can tell :wink:

As for settings as RSE Dissy said anything goes - creates more variety and will mean hopefully underdog will have more of a chance... However I suspect the more familiar and expected names will rise to the top, I just hope they may have to work a little harder... :D (I remember one RSE who was excellent at lower techs so choosing that may not help!!) 8O

JBL
[bonk!]
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Hi The ever patient JBL

You said
As for settings as RSE Dissy said anything goes
I'm all for higher ranked player having to play out of their comfort zone, so that's fine, except lower ranked player could decide on T1 large and the game lasts forever?

Is that what we all want, no limits on choice of settings. Also, what about randoms/borg on or off?

RSE_Dissy said
Klingon should be allowed on t5, just kvort shud not cloak!
I think that would solve the Klingon T5 issue, as if I've got this right,the only ship they could cloak would be the B'Rel scout.

Can we go with RSE_Dissy's suggestion and take it one further and just edit the K'Vort so it can't cloak?

Sorry yet more questions, but at least now they've come to an end,I think!

Regards

Pigman
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

Id be happy to set the kvort rule as no cloak.... :D

As for the No T1 large a fair point in which i would agree...

However there may well be a T1 expert who would bemoan me doing this. :wink:

If all agree before tournament starts though I will ammend. Not a biggie really....

JBL
[bonk!]
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

102! Sign me up please.

I agree no cloak for the K'vort sounds good.

Return to “Multiplayer Games”