Ultimate Dominion Mod III - Beta Info

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

Thanks to Thundercheros great effort we have another incarnation of UDM at our hands. Cheers Thunder!!!

What is needed now, before a full release of this version?
Testing and feedback!!!

Please friends, go ahead, play the game and enjoy it, but keep an eye out on bugs and unbalanced settings. We can all contribute to make UDM better. Consider all settings, Single player, Multiplayer, any size, race and difficulty.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

looking forward to re-enacting epic battles with DS9 :)

good work guys. I am downloading now and will start a single player game as feds!
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
MrCoffee
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrCoffee »

I was redoing my Excel Ship Spred sheets for my quick ref when i play and i noticed that all of the new Heavy Colony Ships have stats that are lower than the Colony ship I's Now im thinking this was a mistake but if it auto upgrades you from Colony Ship II's to this, this will be a huge problem.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

heavy colony ship is new class and yes it is weaker than colony 1 and 2 this is due to it will give 100 popualation and 10 farms and 10 industry when used to coloinze.

this is not an upgrade.

thunderchero
MrCoffee
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrCoffee »

I see, thanks for that. I'll add it to the data sheet then. :)
MrCoffee
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrCoffee »

Just had my first Combat crash. I use the Vallina mod.

When a Colony Ship fire's a torpedo, the torp just sits there and dosn't move. Then after the enemy ship leaves, before it gives you to option to hit the end turn key it crashes.
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

As I have played two campaigns already, a quick summary:

I nearly lost my first SP campaign(started with a pre-version of this). Probably I had a weak strategy, but I managed to get a hold on the game with some luck, but not before turn 230.

Seeting: UDM
Techlevel: 1
Galaxy: Large; irregular
Difficulty: Impossible
Minors: Many
Random events: OFF
Race: Romulans

Around turn 150 all major empires had declared war on me, each of ther fleets outnumbered me at least about 10:1, two planets were taken by the Federation. Dominion, Cardassian and Federation Intel was doing heavy damage on me, stealing money & ships, destroying many buildings. Federation allies like the Andorians and Vulcans were sending several fleets to bomb my colonies
What brought the turn of the tide then? The Breen!!!
It took me ages to align this closest minor to me, but it was all worth while.

So now one would think I did a better job on my second game? Not at all.

Seeting: UDML
Techlevel: 2
Galaxy: Large; spiral
Difficulty: Impossible
Minors: Many
Random events: OFF
Race: Romulans

At turn 163 and having lost 3 colonies I may savely say that I have lost!!!
This said, with some 10 years experience on BOTF, I havent lost a game versus the AI since 1999. Of course again I had used the wrong strategy. When I conceded the game, the Dominion, who had the crappiest starting area in this game, on the south tip of my galaxy arm(no minors there), was lurking over Romulus with 100 ships, while I had practically no fleet left and no defenses to keep it from taking my planets. Saying this, they had no contact to any other Empire, and I was in a frienship treaty with the Federation. I had Bajor and Denobula as members, while Risa, Trill and the Ferenginar on friendly or allied terms. But Terok Nor, that saved my defenses south of Romulus for quite some time, was turned to dust by 80 Dominion ships, while itself didnt even destroy one of their ships. The game might have a change to turn, if I manage to massproduce some ships, the problem though is, that in pretty every aspect the Dominion is far more advanced, and its intel litteraly blew me away from first contact on. Not even the Tal'shiar buildings that I finally researched did any good.

Facit: I sure need a better strategy, ... being outnumbered 5:1 or even worse at first contact, simply doesn't go well. Research seems still to fast for Epic games from T1 on. Battles are gorgeous, and the Dominion is really a force to reconed with.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

MrCoffee wrote:Just had my first Combat crash. I use the Vallina mod.

When a Colony Ship fire's a torpedo, the torp just sits there and dosn't move. Then after the enemy ship leaves, before it gives you to option to hit the end turn key it crashes.
By vanilla I guess you mean normal map size?

also what races and ships were involed?

could this error be duplacted?

crash log?

and last what command did you give?

thunderchero
Max_Sparta
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Max_Sparta »

Hi chaps. Its been a while since i played BOTF and seeing as a few tweeks have been done since last time i figured id see whats new.

Now, Ive DLd and installed the multi installer at the bottom of thunders posts which seems to give me basic Vanilla version and i also installed the 1.03 patch as well for good measure. My question is (A probably daft one i know) where's the actual Dominion mod files? the link in post one doesn't work anymore and was wondering if it had either been moved or there was something in the multi installer I should have ticked/dropped down during the install.

Ta
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

@max_sparta:
The Downloadlink on page 70 works well for me!
The 1.0.3 patch is not needed for any mod as far as I know. UDM should make a seperate install in your botf path!

The multi installer installs vanilla botf, and allows multiple botf mods installed!
Dominion Wars - Scenario
Max_Sparta
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Max_Sparta »

Mentat, You are the man!

*Chuck norris style thumbs up*
MrCoffee
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrCoffee »

thunderchero wrote:
MrCoffee wrote:Just had my first Combat crash. I use the Vallina mod.

By vanilla I guess you mean normal map size?

also what races and ships were involed?

could this error be duplacted?

crash log?

and last what command did you give?

thunderchero
No, I mean when i installed BOTF i did that option, and i play the large ver of UDM,

I have played the rom's and evey time a colony ship fire's it then crashes. I can get around this by makeing the colony shps just withdraw from combat and let the other ships go at it, for some reason when the colony ship fire's its top's they dont even move, but the ship moves and the torp is still right where the colony ship was. Then as soon as all ships have moved out of view it crashes to desktop. I did the same install option as before and i never had any crashes in combatmode. Till this new mod.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

MrCoffee,

just tested with no errors. you said you installed main installer with vanilla option. did you uninstall everything first? Main installer and all mods?

If it crashes to desktop you should have crash log in C:\botf\UDML\crash.log
please post

thunderchero
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

@MrCoffee
Hi, if crashes continue with Mods, check out your video settings in the stbof.ini

Every video-card needs a specific setting.
I deeem you should try Vanilla install and 3D=SOFTWARE
or even a Hades 2.2
with 3D=SOFTWARE

Give it a try, this saved any troubles for me at least.

To test if your stbof.ini video settings are responsible, you can easily fire up UDM; start a game and go into the research view of the vessels.
Browse through them, if you crash change your ini settings. e.g. My laptop here crashes when I browse to the new Romulan Advanced Strike Cruiser .....
Dominion Wars - Scenario
MrCoffee
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrCoffee »

Hmm, just checked the Crash log, and its blank. When it dose this it just locks the game up and i alt tab out and then it crashes. I didnt uninstall eveything. Ill try that and see what happns.

I did just do a rom game and went to turn 200 with no problems, had 3 fights, but none of them involved a colony ship. torp problems as i said earlyer.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”