What caused the Romulan isolation?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

AFAIK

Earth lies exactly on the border between the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

Most of the Klingon Empire and all of the Romulan Empire are in the beta quadrants.

I find in Star Trek it's easier to just presume when they say Alpha Quadrant they mean Alpha+Beta Quadrant
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I second Dissy here.

Space is dang big and the galaxy changes all the time. The human characteristic to draw lines and build fences anywhere doesn't fit here.

The other fact is, that it doesn't really matter. ;)
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

Interesting. There's an article here which goes into detail:

http://www.stdimension.org/int/Cartography/mwdiv.htm
...in the last years it has become obvious that the script authors more and more disregard the quadrant system, which is still valid according to all recent official publications. At the beginning, this problem mainly concerned awkward, but individual errors by the authors, who simply mixed up Alpha and Beta Quadrant ([VOY] Message in a Bottle) and therefore mistakenly indicated a counter-clockwise quadrant arrangement, but now, in ST:DS9 as well as in ST:VOY, the Beta Quadrant is completely ignored, which is fatal especially concerning the Klingons and the Borg, which originally had nothing to with the Alpha Quadrant.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I don't blame the writers. In Star Trek they did great work most of the time and I don't expect from every writer that he/she knows Star Trek exactly the same way as we geeks do ;)

It makes discussions like this one here harder and demonstrates us the failures of our favourite shows. Somehow ST loses its magic a bit in fact that we put it into pieces this and that way.

Many things in ST sound conclusive if you watch it the first time and you begin to recognize the errors if you watch it again and again and again.

So I guess it would be interesting to keep the magic alive somehow. I don't mean to stop watching ST. There must be another way ;)
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Hmm... that's getting a bit off topic.

But yeah it does seem most likely to have been some sort of social reorganization.

Return to “General Chat Archive”