windowed mode

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Pawleus
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year
Location: USS Achilles, on the way to Deep Space 6, destination: Zakdorn Military Academy

windowed mode

Post by Pawleus »

Does anybody know whether or not there is a way to start BotF in windowed mode with Windows XP as a system? I have a slight problem with full screen as it is stretched running BotF on my laptop with 1280x800 screen. It doesn't help if I change resolution in Windows.

Any suggestions?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

captaindusk maybe found a solution to this problem to use applications like BotF in windowed mode.

the program is called DxWnd. I had no time to try it out as yet but I will do.
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

I tried it and BotF startet out fine with it but I haven't found a way to switch from Fullscreen to Window Mode. I hope it's possible anyhow though.
Pawleus
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year
Location: USS Achilles, on the way to Deep Space 6, destination: Zakdorn Military Academy

Post by Pawleus »

Wow! I've just made it work!

If anybody needs to try it out you have to download D3DWindower. It's eg. here
You need to copy D3DHook.dll into the trek.exe folder, start D3DWindower, click add program, choose trek.exe, set in settings 800x600 and click Run Program. BotF will start in windowed mod and all you need is to place the window in the upper left corner of your screen as to allow Botf to read the position of your pointer properly.

You will probably need to change the resolution in Windows as in-game details will be too small. :smile:
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Yeah you're right it works just fine. The curser must be moved slightly under the buttons/squares of the map but I bet that one will get used to it very quickly. If it doesn't crash I can finally browse the web/change song titles etc. while waiting for Krazee to finish his turn. :wink: But first my Warzone Ports have to work again. :(

Nice Job.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

some of us doing micro-management and are building big fleets cd ;) :P ;)

yea the thing with the cursor needs some time to get used to it.

btw the program looks a "lil" bit cryptic somehow. but nethertheless it works fine so far.
We will see if the game will crash more often as it does normally.

edit: switch off the sieve again or should I say the windoofs firewall ;)
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Ok so I'm not the only one thinking I was high when I saw the menu in the prog. :D

The sieve IS turned of dude, and things won't start out at all :-(
Pawleus
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Pawleus »

Try to drag the upper window bar as up as possible - it'll help with the cursor problem.
zorkedup
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zorkedup »

What is your laptops specs?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

btw, I will try out DxWnd. If it works with warzone, that would be great.

D3DWindower wont work with the warzone client I guess, because you have to start BotF from itself. The Lobbyclient also starts BotF, so I see no way to use D3DWindower in multiplayer games over EWarzone-Client.

But atm I have some struggles here with my system. Need to fix them at first. :roll:

post scriptum: Laptop specs?
lillena
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by lillena »

Whether the AIDS which is very fast spreading disease can be cured and diagnosed at the initial level? AIDS is almost incurable disease. Most peoples dies due to diagnosis of the patient at the secondary stage. For prevention of it, use of genuine and reliable condoms and other safety measures has to be taken. If there is proper diagnosis of the probable patient at the initial stage, then he will be cured at the stage before going into the dangerous or secondary level. Also using of reusable syringe through blood donation or curing the disease of the patient, there are more chances of causing AIDS to the patient. So it is always said that "Prevention is Better than Cure". Most peoples move away from AIDS patients due to fear of infection. But it is the wrong way to escape from ourselves. The proper way is to take care of the patient by using good types of handgloves.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

@lillena,

while most subjects are welcome here, I do not understand your post here on this subject, Aids has nothing to do with "BOTF in windows mode"

Please try to keep your post star trek releated and on topic,

thunderchero
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

thunderchero wrote:@lillena,

while most subjects are welcome here, I do not understand your post here on this subject, Aids has nothing to do with "BOTF in windows mode"

Please try to keep your post star trek releated and on topic,

thunderchero
Come on Thunderchero, everybody knows that Aids started by having unprotected sex with Klingons. :wink:

On a more serious note, can anyone confirm that this windowed mode actually works? If so, does it slow down game play?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

tunderchero wrote:I do not understand your post here on this subject, Aids has nothing to do with "BOTF in windows mode"
I guess lillena refered to my signature.
eber3 wrote:On a more serious note, can anyone confirm that this windowed mode actually works?
yes, it does.
eber3 wrote: If so, does it slow down game play?
nope, but if it does you could try to set up it's priority to high or even realtime if you still have a P54C. ;)

@ lillena

I hope that every desease is curable. And not only in one way. But cure one and discover two new ones. You've spoken to some very important things.

But as Star Trek Fan I think that technology and science is the answer to deseases like AIDS. The big grids in which almost 2 million ppl share their "computerpower" and contributed together some million years of calculated time, as yet, are an attempt of a worldwide community to help universities to get some big and cheap computerpower for good.

Supercomputers are very expensive and universities have to share them with each others the same way they have to do f.e. with telescopes.

So the facts you mentioned are very important but only a reaction and no answer on a long term sight and humans strive for answers. That's in our nature and the biggest supercomputer on earth in which my computer participates in and my signature tells about is an attempt to get those answers. There are many more projects to mention.

the fightAIDS@home hp:

http://fightaidsathome.scripps.edu/

heres a list of all projects:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... id=1818634

Some of them look for prime numbers or help calculating for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). Oh and they do it all in windowed mode. ;) Btw, I can play every computergame while running BOINC in the background. Whether it is Fallout 3 or the good ten year old BotF and even Tetris!
exceL
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by exceL »

Does anyone know if the window mode works with Vista? I've been looking for a window-mode option for BOTF for quite some time, as wait times can get quite boring...

Return to “General Chat Archive”