Befriending Gomtuu

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Befriending Gomtuu

Post by ZeroChance »

This is a continuation of my only post from the old forum... there was a discussion going on in a thread where I mentioned how after you hail a number of times in tactical combat with the random event Gomtuu he will "befriend" you (so you no longer have to choose between "hail, auto, or fight" every time he crosses paths with one of your fleets or outposts).

No one had experienced it... so I did some exploring and took screenshots.

From what I remember, you have to enter into the tactical combat screen and select hail from there three times for Gomtuu to "befriend" you. On the third hail attempt he will also hail instead of retreating.

I successfully got "befriended" by Gomtuu as every major race (vanilla botf) using the same hailing technique.

Now, being befriended is almost completely useless. The only satisfaction you get from being befriended by Gomtuu is knowing that when he decides to reside in the same sector as one of your outposts for 20 turns, you don't notice.

In short, you can be friends with Gomtuu. Unless you'd rather just destroy it.
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

Ha, that's hilarious. :lol: It would be funnier if Gomtuu pushed your ships out of the system the first time:

"Danger. Gomtuu. Do... not... allow!" (whooossshhh)

Sadly I don't get to see the roaming entities, as I always play with random events off, due to the Borg being totally ridiculous and game-ending 95% of the time.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

TurboC wrote:Ha, that's hilarious. :lol: It would be funnier if Gomtuu pushed your ships out of the system the first time:

Sadly I don't get to see the roaming entities, as I always play with random events off, due to the Borg being totally ridiculous and game-ending 95% of the time.
You can play random events with the borg turned off you know ;)

Find your botf folder, within there's a file called stbof.ini , a notepad file ....somewhere there's a line starting 'borg=' It can be set to on, or off then you can close the documaent (saving it first) then then you can play with the random events on but safe in he knowledge the Borg will never show up :)

As for taking on Gomtuu ...not wise ... He's wiped out a fleet of 50 K't'inga's before when I've tried :evil: ...he'll even attack with that shockwave we see on screen
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
chestermike
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by chestermike »

TurboC wrote:Ha, that's hilarious. :lol: It would be funnier if Gomtuu pushed your ships out of the system the first time:

I've never had a problem with the Borg on this game. The big game I had on 'All the ages' seen the borg win the game for me, they wiped out the firengi, klingons and romulans leaving me and the feds in a race to colonise the rest of the battered galaxy, and I won the race and won the game with less than 10 battles in the entire 500 turns of the game. And half of those were me beating the Borg.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

chestermike wrote:
TurboC wrote:Ha, that's hilarious. :lol: It would
I've never had a problem with the Borg on this game. The big game I had on 'All the ages' seen the borg win the game for me, they wiped out the firengi, klingons and romulans leaving me and the feds in a race to colonise the rest of the battered galaxy, and I won the race and won the game with less than 10 battles in the entire 500 turns of the game. And half of those were me beating the Borg.
Don't expect the Borg to win the game for you on that mod every time ...especially when the AI is on a high tech and a big battlefleet ...they're more than capable of taking down a cube now.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

I've faced the Borg in Stock many a time and Never had them beat me. The Ais? I've seen them get almost totally wiped out. They can't even handle the Calamarain. they seem to not understand massed fleet formations.
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

This is a question for Thunder / DCRE,

Would it be possible to add a Race Entry for the random event ships, so that you can make a truce with the borg like Voyager did.
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

You can always accept Gomtuus advances and see where it leads...

Last edited by eber3 on Sat May 15, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

:lol:

not to mention that Gomtuu's are polygamously. Had 4 of them in one game at the same time! ;)
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

ah, yeah, I've seen that too. apparently the game just doesn't care how many get spawned on the map.
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

Just because Starfleet has only seen one, does not mean that it's the only one.
Picard and Sisko have only ever met 1 Q, but as Voyager found, they are a whole race.
I know this is emplied by Q (like when his powers are taken), but then for their to be 1 Gomtu, their must have been parents/creators, it's only logical

I have returned
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Well, it might be the same species as Gomtuu, but Gomtuu is a personal name.
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

Does anyone remember Tosk from DS9, the first vistor from Gama Quad, who is being hunted for sport.

He refers to himself and his species as Tosk. This may also be true for Gomtu.

I have returned
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I think that he (Tam Elbrun or whatever his name was) not just only said "Gomtuu" to it. There was another word he said to it before it literally 'went nuts' ;)

(dunno if you can get the joke - in german it's "durchdrehen" - same as rotate - what it literally did...)

btw.
ZeroChance wrote:On the third hail attempt he will also hail instead of retreating
had to hail Gomtuu in some cases for 5 times and more until I was able to marry it. In one case it even was a lighning wedding! I would call it love at first sight ;)

Would be brilliant if you could use it as a ship after befriending it!
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

ah, that's a good point I suppose. It could be that Gomtuu had decided to use it's species name because the others died or something.

Return to “General Chat Archive”