What Star Trek books are good to read and why?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

What Star Trek books are good to read and why?

Post by HsojVvad »

What Star Trek books are good to read and why? What ones are to stay away from and why?

I was going to look for my old ST books to read but can't find them at the moment. So I was thinking of getting something new.

Well there is alot to choose from. Some even seem like they are in a series so I am not even shure what is book one to get.

So what books are good to read. Please say if they are part of a series, or a one shot book, like Stangers from the Sky, one of my personal favorites.

So for me, some good reads are:

Strangers from the Sky
Imzadi (the first one, never read the second one yet)
Generations, (just because it explained the movie so much better and the evil Dr, forgot his name, wasn't really so evil, and could understand why he did what he did.

A few I forget the names so hopefully you can remind me,
The one where Kirks father is in it, and is like the Enerprises first voyage.

Where Kirk is resurected and comes back to life, I enjoyed that one as well.

There is more, but forget what they are now
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Are you a fan of DS9? I have been reading and enjoying those books. Here is a link to the books that continue the series (they call it the DS9 relaunch), after the end of the show. You'll also notice that they have pretty detailed lists of the other book series based on tv shows as well as the stand alone book series. It's the best list with descriptions I was able to find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_St ... Space_Nine
Archos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Archos »

Try to avoid ones written by Bill Shatner...most of his represent his ego and desperation to reprise Kirk in one incarnation of another. Star Tre: Destiny trilogy and the 'A Time to' series are amongst the best I've read. the Star Trek Logs series by Alan Dean Foster are also good...

Ummm...The 'Titan' Series is also quite good.
Captain Nathan Dixon
Executive Officer, Starbase Pegasus
Siren Fleet
http://pegasus.siren-fleet.com/forums
Archos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Archos »

Captain Nathan Dixon
Executive Officer, Starbase Pegasus
Siren Fleet
http://pegasus.siren-fleet.com/forums
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

I recommend just about any anything written by Keith R.A. deCandido. His novels focusing on the Klingons are especially good, but I really enjoy his other works as well (Articles of the Federation in particular being an excellent read).
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Also thanks to eber3, for providing the link, so I can see all the ST books written.

Will look at these and decide what I like. I love DS9 tv series, so I think I might start there.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

this list is indeed a big one. thx for the link eber3. Now I'm spoilt for choice :lol:
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

i liked "ship of the line" it had the bozeman crew brought forward in time and captain morgan bateson (FRASIER!)... heh and tells a story of bateson being in command and a conflict with the cardassians, also revisits those evul cardassians camps that picard was once at.

a top read. and a great intro battle between USS Bozeman and a klingon K'Tinga cr
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Star Trek: Destiny trilogy is pretty good but you have to follow the adventures of TNG, Titan and DS9 relaunch which should explain how Dax got a Captain seat.

I really do like the new Star Trek universe book wise...too bad Janeway's dead...or isn't she?....with Q u never know.

If you're clueless maybe buying the last 2-3years of TNG novels would be good for you :)
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

Hopefully you don't mean the "new star trek universe" in terms of the "new star trek movie"? Otherwise I don't know why Janeway would be dead, just her previous future self. The younger self got home. Is Janeway dead according to "book canon"? Amusingly, the books will probably be accepted more as "canon" by real Star Trek fans than the newest monstrosity of a "Star Trek movie".

Speaking of Q and his affinity for the TNG/VOY captains, and fascination with humanity in general, would he really have allowed some idiot warship to destroy the entire timeline? And what about the 29th century Temporal Police or whomever they are, surely they would have at least attempted to stop such a massive change in the timeline? :roll:
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

No, Janeway's Death/Assimilitation by the Borgs is in the Original timeline...not the new movie one...Can't give you any spoilers...you have to read the books...but she's dead and she isn't.....just like Sisko was with the fire caves at the end of DS9 (he was with the Prophets).
Janeway is dead in a way that she cannot be part of the Picard's/Voyager crew/Starfleet life anymore...and there has been funerals...but you know....in Star Trek everything is possible....Q had a huge crush on her.

Btw, Sisko in the relaunch DS9 book series is back from the Prophets and raise his child with his wife...altho he isn't in Command of DS9 any longer...he's on extended leave/his Starfleet status isn't really clear altho he's still a Captain without a Command.

Worf is Enterprise XO...his son took over the Diplomatic duties on Qonos.

Riker and Troi still bodly going where no one has gone before...Troi's pregnant...but she can die if she brings pregnancy to term....something to do about the TNG episode where she gave birth to an alien.
The plot with Titan is closely tied in with the NX 02 Columbia disapearance in Archer's time. Can't say too much...read the books people.

As for the new Star Trek movie, supposedly you have to read the book which solves the mystery about why it's so different from the other TOS. Revew says that you better read the book first then watch the movie and that everything makes sense in the end. Don't know what they're talking about 'cause I haven't bought nor read the book yet....

There maybe no longer any tv series but the books are going strong....
cbosdell
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by cbosdell »

Destiny Trilogy
Enterprise Relaunch
Vanguard
Titan

Return to “General Chat Archive”