1.0.3 (ECM) original release post

Error Correction Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

mickar wrote:What is the phantom dilithium 'fix'. What was 'fixed'?
you don't want to know.

thunderhero
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

notice to the 5 member who have already downloaded 1.0.3a

I found error in ship training code and have replaced installer.

here is new link

link removed

Uninstall prior release before installing replacement file

thunderchero
Last edited by thunderchero on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DOT
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by DOT »

There is a "bug" on F1 screen few (only part of galaxy) with large map:
The ship icons are so large that I cannot direct a ship to a sector where other ships already are. sending a ship to a sector with an outpost is no problem at all.
Is it possible to rescale the ship icons?

And a question:
What is the ship training code error? Can you post a code to investigate?

And a idea for 1.0.4.:
Since large galaxies leads to bigger empires with more solar systems and so to increased number of total pop, is it possible to edit per round income of empires to nonlinear function as Gowron did with BoP? Lets say the first 1000 pop gives linear money, but pop over 1000 is calculated as square root (and after square root operation the result added to the first 1000 pop)?

And a comment to the "ship scrap" whatever:
IMHO I prefer the use of changed code, because by changing only one byte it is possible to get 100% return of building costs or only 50% or 25% or whatever a modder likes to have.

If in multiplayer the players agree to use the 50% code and one cheates by using 100% return then most likely this player will be most likely exposed by brave klingon warriors or raided by money-grubbing ferengis or sabotated by thievish cardassians or ambushed by cloaced romulan forces or acused by federation layers...
Maybe one develop a tools to crosscheck checksums of exe and res-files before launching a mp game?
life long and prosper
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

DOT wrote:There is a "bug" on F1 screen few (only part of galaxy) with large map:
The ship icons are so large that I cannot direct a ship to a sector where other ships already are. sending a ship to a sector with an outpost is no problem at all.
Is it possible to rescale the ship icons?
more info is needed to look at possible problem there are 12 different trek.exe's within installer. (only 2 used when installed depended on options selected).

is this problem on small map view or large map view?
Did you install with extended view?
Is this with or without ship pack?
english or german?
DOT wrote:And a question:
What is the ship training code error? Can you post a code to investigate?
no this was input error and has been fixed.

As for other questions no tools will be added. User may edit as they wish for personal use.

thunderchero
DOT
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by DOT »

-german,
-without ship pack
-extended view
-on small map view
(on large map view this behavore is normal, isn't it?)
life long and prosper
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

thunderchero wrote:
mickar wrote:What is the phantom dilithium 'fix'. What was 'fixed'?
you don't want to know.

thunderhero
Seriously, what was 'fixed'? I didn't realized anything needed 'fixing'.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Dot,

thank you for reporting this I forgot to edit trek.exe for smaller icons on map for ships. replacment installer has been uploaded.

same link as before.

link has been removed

Mickar,

For more info on phantom dilithium 'fix' read this post

link removed

thunderchero
Last edited by thunderchero on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

It's crashed twice on same turn. Turn 4. Not sure what is wrong. I'm not in any battles and haven't met anyone. Says trek.exe has stopped working.

Edit: Through process of elimination, I found out why it's crashing. When I deploy my tt and colony together it crashes. I guess in this version you can't terr in 1 turn. Although the vanilla version is better since a ship loaded with troops should speed up the terr process. Oh well, I guess some ppl complained about terr in 1 turn so they felt the need to 'fix' it.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

mickar you may have been downloading as I was updateing and got corupt download.

thunderchero
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Ok, I now see the so-called phantom dill 'fix. And in my opinion, the so-called 'fix' is stupid.

I played as fed and started with 2 dill. I made my buildings then put ships into production. Much to my surprise, the turns required did not decrease by 1 each turn. In fact all 3 stayed the same. This is stupid. Now, instead of being able to make 2 ships I can't make even 1.

Let's look at the dilithium question: A ship only needs dilithium to make it go. Everyone knows this. I can still build my ship but without dill it won't go anywhere, ie no power for the engine. The vanilla version was correct. I should still be able to build ships on all my systems but only able to pop out a ship if I have the required dill. In my game above, I should be able to pop out 2 ships per turn.

This so-called 'fix' needs to be un-'fixed'.

Edit: Since the so-called 'fixes' in this mod only cater to the nOOb player, we should rename the mod to the 'nOOb-fix-so-the-nOOb-can-compete-with-the-vet-player-mod'. In my game above I am now stuck making orbs, like the nOOb would, until or if I ever find more dill.
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

i agree with mickar, there were no problems with diliithium to begin this... i suggest we get rid of this change.
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

all links have been removed due to error in code

thunderchero
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

I'm not an expert in Star Trek but isn't it true that you only require dilithium for warp speed? I can still use impulse power if I don't have dilithium, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm correct, dilithium should have no influence on my shipbuilding capacity.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

There is a problem with dilithium as you need to use a trick to convince botf to build more ships at the same time. That's not strategy, it's just exploiting a bug in the code. Don't remember what the dilithium fix does, but I'd welcome anything that makes botf's behaviour consistent. Either allow building multiple ships (ok with me) or don't.

In vanilla you have to make sure not to get the message saying there's a dilithium shortage to be able to build more than one ship at a time. But if memory serves me correctly only as many as you have dilithium can be completed per turn.
Last edited by DCER on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Hello everyone, thanks for your great efforts thunderchero, I'm looking forward to your next fix! :D

The so named 'shadow dilithium' in fact is a bug or at least has a bug, there can be no doubt about! Remember, it's only working when you're having the right build order, does that make sense? Does it make sense to get the dilithium shortage warnings all the time? NO!! That does make no sense and it really is a BUG. You only can talk about keeping it for balancing issues, disregarding the fact that it's a bug!

I wonder why people always have to complain the bad, shouldn't we thank for all the hard work before complaining little details? There's no reason to be that rude mickar, you've always stated that you want no changes and you still can keep playing v1.0.2, the original one.
Changes made can be changed back and of course some decisions might be bad sometimes, but that's something normal with modding. Either you want improvements, and I believe thunderchero is doing a great job on this, and accept it to deploy and to evolve, or you just shut up. There is no self-evidence for thunder doing all that work.

Maybe someone finds a better way to fix that 'shadow dilithium'-bug, I'm fine with the current solution, but also have no big problem with keeping it.

cheers ;)

Return to “Error Correction Mod”