Why are there so few multiplayer game

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Why are you not playing

Poll ended at Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:22 am

Connection problems
18%
I did not know you could multi-player game
9%
not enough players at my skill level
5%
You enjoy single player game more
14%
I don't have the time to play
27%
other reasons
27%

Total votes: 22

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Why are there so few multiplayer game

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed over the last year many players are no longer playing multi-player games. Why?
Last edited by thunderchero on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

I love the single player because I can go out at my pace.

I clicked on other though. I have never tried multiplayer, and not even shure how to start a game. Also, I don't want to start a multiplayer game if it will not be finished.

Always afraid the connection will be lost or the other person just leaves and then it's a wasted game. Guess I would try it, if anyone had the patince with me, for playing for a first time.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

My main reason would be lack of time, on second thougt I also missed Star Trek feeling and some kind of typical behaviour of Major Empires in most MP games. Of course, this would mean I do prefer a Roleplayed Botf, .... and even if I'd play it 4xgame style, I would prefer it work like a 4xgame, not like vanilla is played in MP atm.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Me? I've just given up on getting my junk heap of a computer/ internet to connect. :evil: :o :cry:
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Can you please add the option of playing?

I play multi all the time and I love it. It's much more challenging and fun than playing against the binary AI. Every single game seems like a clone of the previous as the AI does the same thing in the same order every time.

Time? Most med/small map multi games will take a couple hrs only. Surely those who use that excuse play more than that in single.
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

I am still struggling with warzone.

I can only connect for 60 - 90 seconds before it disconnects.

It only started since my wife got her new vista laptop last year.

My firewall and anti-virus are configured correctly, I have forwarded the ports, but still no joy.

The last game I played was with carcher. I loved it, he sent his entire fleet to attack me, not seeing my 2 fleets hiding the otherside of his territory.
I miss MP.

I am hoping to upgrade to windows 7 soon, so hopefully I may have more luck.
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

For me, a big part of it is time constraints. I keep some fairly odd hours with my job, and I don't always know when I'll be free to play on any given day. And in general, I just like being able to play when I want to play; there's something to be said for not having to try and coordinate schedules with other people.

That being said, there's another issue for me, which Mentat has summed up fairly well....
Mentat wrote:My main reason would be lack of time, on second thougt I also missed Star Trek feeling and some kind of typical behaviour of Major Empires in most MP games. Of course, this would mean I do prefer a Roleplayed Botf, .... and even if I'd play it 4xgame style, I would prefer it work like a 4xgame, not like vanilla is played in MP atm.

My feelings run pretty closely to yours, Mentat.

I did a (very brief) stint in a BOTF MP clan back in the day, and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Almost no one was playing just to have fun; everyone was simply playing to *win*. There was virtually no role-playing at all: People would merely spam ships/fleets, mercilessly launch intel attacks, and overall just "game" their way to victory. To me, at least, it barely felt like Star Trek at all....and more importantly, I didn't find it very fun.

In fairness, I probably just have the wrong mindset for MP games: While of course I want to win, I lack that go-for-the-throat mentality that seems to be necessary for online play. However, if there was (as you put it) more role-playing in MP matches, I'd likely find that more enjoyable.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by ZeroChance »

I haven't had the time in the past year or two, too much school and social things going on in my world. BOTF needed to be dusted off this summer after being stored away for over a year...

I enjoy the added challenge of MP, but I also lack that "go for the throat" mentality that seems to pervade a lot of MP games.

That being said, if someone wants to organize a role-playing MP game I'd make time for that!
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Had the most brilliant fun with captaindusk as we played for a whole week and more in february. The fun and Star-Trek-Factor wasn't comparable to anything else.

I remember that we checked out every multi mod which was available.

It was a time full of (Star Trek) jokes and we often used the chat function no matter if the game crashed (and one of us had to reboot).
It was that much fun I never had again in all further games.

They were just about to win. Stupidly spamming out more ships in 20 turns then the opposite, blackmailing the foolish AI at most, etc.

Not my style to play. If I play then for fun.

some ppl I promised a game:

Flocke, captaindusk, carcher and dx if I remember right.

But now that I have some days to play - I'm not feeling well. :/
Sorry Flocke we talked about it for quite some times. Perhaps in 1 or 2 days.

But at the moment I feel like a Pakled. (not funny)
carcher
Commander
Commander

Post by carcher »

i'm all alone in there at the moment :( rse chris popped in a few minutes ago, to test windows 7 and it worked fine, which is good news, but im all on my lonesome again :(

but one day.....one sweet day.......lol
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky....and one day mickar.....one day.....one sweet day......HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY DAYS :D
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Botf isnt really a 'role playing' game. Try warcraft. It's very fun, realtime and you get to roleplay ur ... off.

I know what you mean, though, and all you guys need is to find the right partner to play with. I've played games before where we agreed at the beginning to not fight for 100 turns.

Just find the right partner and agree on what 'role' you want. Seriously, mp is just so much more fun than single.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

Well if anyone wants to try a game with me, I am willing to give it a shot. Just be patient with me, since I nver tried multiplayer before.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
29BQ
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 29BQ »

HsojVvad wrote:Well if anyone wants to try a game with me, I am willing to give it a shot. Just be patient with me, since I nver tried multiplayer before.

Me too!!

Just PM me if you want to play a game with me. Making an arrangement in advance would be very helpful. ;)
garek
Ensign
Ensign

Post by garek »

Time and my slow verizon broadband connection is my excuse. I do miss my online conversations with carcher and jon boy london
Check your 6 a sqadron of K'vorts is decloaking
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

garek wrote:Time and my slow verizon broadband connection is my excuse. I do miss my online conversations with carcher and jon boy london
Miss you too Garek.... :lol:
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]

Return to “General Chat Archive”