Star Trek 90210, is it a rental or a buy?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Star Trek 90210, is it a rental or a buy?

Post by HsojVvad »

I see that new Star Trek movie will be released on DVD and Blue Ray. (What is it called? Star Trek XI?)

Is this a rental or a buy? I am thinking of renting it first, since most movies I have been getting on Blue Ray, suck. I should have saved myself some money and just got it on regular DVD.

So as a person who didn't like Nemisis, Insurection and thought First Contact was ok. I really enjoyed Generations, and all the others of the original cast, should I bother getting this on Blue Ray or wait till it gets into the cheapie section and get it previously used?

I have seen the comercials, got a bit excited for it, but then it looks all pizzaz and no substance. I never bothered going to see it in the cinemas.

I just don't want to be wasting anymore money on garbage. So what do you guys think? As you can see from my title, this looks like a cast from the GW tv shows, and I am thinking if my wife will like this, (she hasn't like any other Star Trek) then for shure, I might not like it lol.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

All I can say is you'll have to watch it and make your own mind up.

I'm a huge Star Trek fan but I shocked my parents the other day by telling them that if they got me the movie on DVD for Xmas I'll burn it because I can't stand to see it again.

Then you have the other camp who'll say it's the best thing ever.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

personally i did not like what they did to the Enterprise... yeah but what settled me down a bit is when i found out the plot, then it was ok.. i guess... it has a pretty good story and it does have action points... so overall i wouldnt rank it as great as Nemesis or FC, but its worth watching... I would say rent it firs and if u like it buy it
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

Since Abrams did not like to see it as part of the previous continuity, something I can understand after seeing it, it is called "Star Trek (2009)".
It has some weak points, or a friend of mine said:
"this is the story of the young James T. ...well...no...let's do something different"
I'd say it is worth seeing at least once and then a few weeks or even months digesting it and then perhaps seeing it again.
So I'm with Tethys: rent, watch and then...well let's find out. :wink:
As for the ships I like the Kelvin, she's a nice example of what was before and what would still make sense in the unchanged (prime) universe.
She's a pretty and probably precursor to ships like the Saladin/Hermes.
The new Enterprise...I've come to accept her as a freak Warp-optimized Constitution variant that's still ugly. :)
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

I'm with stardust in the "I will burn/destroy any copy of the movie I receive" camp. :x

As he said, however, you should really just watch it and decide for yourself. Rent it first; if you like it, you can always then purchase it.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

You still haven't watched "the reboot" as yet? 8O

Go on and be a good fan: rent it, watch it, bring it back and when you like it then buy it...
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

Thanks guys, so it's a rental then. I was thinking of blue ray, but I see that blue ray is such a freaking joke right now. Most companies don't put anything extra for blue ray, but charge blue ray prices for the bloody thing. I swear just buying regular DVD's is the way to go. Seems like 1 out of 10 or so blue rays I buy are actually worth it.

So I rent first, and then make up my mind.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

lol Blu-ray. :lol: I probasbly won't buy into that until just before they announce the next new and exciting way to watch movies .... just like I did with the now humble DVD.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

I can't buy DVDs after having Blu-Rays. The difference in quality is like VHS to DVD. Providing you have a HD TV of course.

Yeah I'd rent it if you have not yet seen, it seems to get very mixed opinions. I liked it and I will buy it on Blu-Ray at some point. :)
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

Star Terk XI -- great film...

...Just not Star Trek!
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

RSE_Chris wrote:I can't buy DVDs after having Blu-Rays. The difference in quality is like VHS to DVD. Providing you have a HD TV of course.

:)
Yes I have an HD TV, and using the HDMI cables. Problem is, most Blue rays don't have the difference in quality. For one thing, (maybe this is a PS3 thing) is that I can't stretch the movies to fill the whole screen, like regular cd's (on my xbox 360.)

For instance, got Underworld Rise of the Lycans, (wich I only watched half way, never finished it yet) was the quality was crap. Really Crap. What a waste of money that was.

I hate renting first, then buying after, since the money that went to renting could have gone to buying it in the frist place lol.

But I guess ST XI will be a rental first. Thanks guys, from what you say, I will have to rent it frist, then decide if I buy it or not.

Just so I know, did anyone get it for blue ray yet? How is it on blue ray? Is there any extras that you don't get on the DVD?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Don't expect too much from the special disc. Deleted scenes/commentary on it and something 'bout the cast. I have to admit that I've seen better special discs.

Also, I can't tell if there's a difference in the content between normal dvd and bluray disc. Just compare it in your video rental shop.

btw I've agree to Peter1981...
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

HsojVvad wrote: For one thing, (maybe this is a PS3 thing) is that I can't stretch the movies to fill the whole screen, like regular cd's (on my xbox 360.)
I use the PS3 for Blu-ray and have no problems fitting the screen. There is an option to select full screen in the video settings I believe.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

RSE_Chris wrote:
HsojVvad wrote: For one thing, (maybe this is a PS3 thing) is that I can't stretch the movies to fill the whole screen, like regular cd's (on my xbox 360.)
I use the PS3 for Blu-ray and have no problems fitting the screen. There is an option to select full screen in the video settings I believe.
I have checked, but will check again. Do you know where the settings are? I will check again. Thanks, maybe they added it in in the update.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Well, I don't want to get into it all again.... so suffice to say I didn't like it. I own every series or movie ever officially released on dvd for Star Trek as well as one fan made movie. I will not buy the Abrams movie. I will not ever even watch it again. That said, you have a right to your own opinion. I'd suggest watching it online, as it isn't even worth a rental fee, IMO. Definitely make sure you like it before you buy it.

Return to “General Chat Archive”