Distant Worlds -- A new 4x space strategy game

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Distant Worlds -- A new 4x space strategy game

Post by Martok »

Link

Link

I have to admit, I'm super excited about this game. In fact, I suspect this is the most pumped I've been for a space 4x title since the release of Galactic Civilizations 2 back in 2006.

The release of Distant Worlds is just a few days away -- either March 23rd or 24th, depending on how a couple last-minute details work out -- and there's been a virtual frenzy of anticipation for it at a number of other gaming sites I frequent. I don't want to hype it up too much just yet (since I obviously won't have the game in my grubby little paws for another several days), but this one really does look good.

One caveat: Distant Worlds is in real-time; it's not turn-based like most space 4x titles. While this admittedly makes me a little nervous, it doesn't sound like it's going to be a twitchy click-fest -- a number of the game's beta-testers have described DW as being somewhat like the Europa Universalis series set "IN SPACE", which I find encouraging.

I'll try and post my opinion/impressions ASAP (although I anticipate wanting to play it for at least a few days before I do so)!
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

So can we pause the game and issue orders then? On to reading the linkies now.

Also can we buy this game at EB or is it online only?
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

Took a look. WOW, It looks really promising. I see a pause\play icon, so I assume you can pause the game. And you can design your own ships too yeah.

I hope I can buy at EB.

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

yea another war in space game ;) graphics are interesting. although I hope you can choose a way of peaceful exploration, too. most games got a lack of it. but this seems to be the way it is. just build some stuff to blow anything up.

I have to admit that I'm bored of this concept. perhaps this game will be something different. is there a demo version available?
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

To answer your questions, @HsojVvad:

1.) Yes, you can pause the game. And you can do pretty much any/everything while paused (diplomacy, design ships, etc.).

2.) I highly doubt the game will be available at EB. The majority of Matrix's games are only available through their website, although a few of them can also be found on digital-download sites like Impulse and GamersGate. (They're a smaller publisher, so they often don't have the clout to get their titles on the shelves of major retailers. Also, stores tend to eat up a lot of their profits, which I believe is another reason.)

KrazeeXXL wrote:yea another war in space game ;) graphics are interesting. although I hope you can choose a way of peaceful exploration, too. most games got a lack of it. but this seems to be the way it is. just build some stuff to blow anything up.

As I understand it, war & combat in Distant Worlds will be....well maybe not quite a sidebar, but it is the developer's intention to make it less important and to emphasize the game's exploration phase. That's one of the things about it that appeals to me. :)

KrazeeXXL wrote:I have to admit that I'm bored of this concept. perhaps this game will be something different. is there a demo version available?

Unfortunately not. Matrix usually doesn't do demos on their games, for two main reasons:

1.) Creating a demo takes time & resources away from working on the actual game.

2.) They feel that playing a demo simply won't do their games justice, that you'd be getting a very incomplete experience.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Martok wrote:Matrix usually doesn't do demos on their games, for two main reasons:

1.) Creating a demo takes time & resources away from working on the actual game.

2.) They feel that playing a demo simply won't do their games justice, that you'd be getting a very incomplete experience.
With other words, they fear you might get disappointed by the game and won't buy it anymore after having played the demo. :lol:
(cutting down a game to a demo by disabling random galaxies, etc should be straight forward...)

Well, alot promising features the game is introducing. Especially all the automatisation seems to be interesting to me, cause that's one main key to manage such huge maps and I've always missed something the like for botf to better handle the late game.
However, if it's behaving bad, it's useless and with knowing so few about the game, and watching the videos, without playing a demo myself I more expect the bad than the good.

But, when it's out and you've bought it, I'd like to hear some more about it. :)
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Anyway if there's a demo or not. A new 4x space strategy exploration game is always worth a look. So thx for the info Martok.
That there is a new game shows that the scene lives on and that there still is demand for more from it's loyal players :)

I for myself will read a test or review first b4 buying it. The last things I bought w/o reading reviews 'bout were almost disappointing. Best example there is: Galactic Civilizations I.

Whether it is good or not feel free to post your impressions Martok. As we're all 4x players here I count more on your opinions then on anyone else's.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

I called my local EB store, they will not be selling it. How the heck can I buy this? Does it mean I have to get one of those pre paid credit cards?

Can anyone please post a link where to buy this game?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Flocke wrote:But, when it's out and you've bought it, I'd like to hear some more about it. :)
KrazeeXXL wrote:Whether it is good or not feel free to post your impressions Martok. As we're all 4x players here I count more on your opinions then on anyone else's.

'Twill me my pleasure to share my thoughts on the game with you gentlemen, whatever they may end up being. Good, bad, or somewhere in between, I'll let you guys know my feelings on it. :)

HsojVvad wrote:I called my local EB store, they will not be selling it. How the heck can I buy this? Does it mean I have to get one of those pre paid credit cards?

Can anyone please post a link where to buy this game?

You can buy the game here when it's ready. However, Matrix doesn't do pre-orders on their games, so the actual purchase option won't show up on that page until Distant Worlds has actually been released (which is supposed to be in the next day or so).

Fear not; I'll let you know when the game is available for sale as soon I find out. I'm checking about every couple hours at this point. 8)
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

This game caught my eye as well.
However I was very disappointed when I found out it had no multiplayer options whatsoever. :(
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

I love games that don't have multiplayer. I find that they concentrate on the multiplayer aspect and not enough on the single player aspect.

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
sanityfreezone
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sanityfreezone »

its on piratebay allready :D
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

I'm certainly looking forward more descriptions of the game after ppl have played it. I do hope the game offers great battles. I love to blow things up.8) 8) 8)

While looking at things (exploration) appeals to some, I find it quite boring. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Just taking a short break from playing to (very quickly) post my thoughts & observations thus far....

What I like: I love the amount of information available to the player (even if it can be a bit overwhelming at first). Similarly, the "Galactopedia" is a godsend -- if you have a question about something, odds are good you can find the answer there. There's a lot of details you can get into, but you don't have to if you don't want, as the AI automation and AI "adviser/suggester" is generally good and actually useful. More so than most 4x games I've played, the various races seem like they have some actual personality. Ship design is quite deep & involving, but (again) you don't have to bother with it if you don't wish to; the AI automation appears to handle it pretty well. Support has been excellent, with two patches having already been released. Generally speaking, the pace isn't overwhelming, especially on the slower speeds.

What I don't like: A fairly major bug that caused your economy to inexplicably crash into the red (it involved the distribution of resources); it's since been fixed, but was very annoying at the time. The UI isn't laid out very well IMO -- trying to remember where/how to call up certain screens & information can be a real pain sometimes. Even with all the tools & info at your disposal (and the ability to pause), trying to keep track of everything can be difficult; admittedly, however, this may be due more to my own relative inexperience with RTS games. Finally, the soundtrack is one of the most irritating I've ever heard in a game; I've got to overcome my technical incompetence and find a way to import my own music. (My only other choices are to either play with the sound off, or puncture my ear drums).

Overall, my initial impressions are pretty favorable. It's certainly not perfect, of course, but I'm definitely enjoying myself so far. Also (and for what it's worth), the game's comparison to the EU series seems to be quite apt; whether you consider that a good or bad thing, I leave to you.

Now back to my game! 8)
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

I like the music. You really can't say the music is bad. I find it quite good.

That is like someone saying Rap is great, while I don't like Rap at all, and I like hard rock, heavy metal. One might say Classical is great and someone can say Pop Sucks. Everyone likes a certian type of music. Each type is good for someone.

Give CodeForce credit, they fixed a big bug in 2 days. It just shows you how they are willing to fix this game and they don't abondon it like major companies do.

Combat is nothing really exciting. I was let down by it. Just tell ship to attack this or that ship and see the ships do thier little dance and pwee pwee each other.

But I love this game so far. Zooming in from your planet all the way out to the galaxy is nicely well done. Gives you a great feel how huge the galaxy you are in really is.

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?

Return to “General Chat Archive”