How can BOF be installed on an XP machine?

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

anton90125
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

How can BOF be installed on an XP machine?

Post by anton90125 »

I have downloaded BOF 1.0 from your down load section. How can I install and run this on an XP machine. Is it possible?

Thank you

anton :D
eber3
Captain
Captain

Re: How can BOF be installed on an XP machine?

Post by eber3 »

anton90125 wrote:I have downloaded BOF 1.0 from your down load section. How can I install and run this on an XP machine. Is it possible?

Thank you

anton :D
Just go to Downloads, then New Multi Installers, then download the "Main Multi Installer 1.0.2 Must Have!!!!"

Then all you have to do is unzip it and run the exe file.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Agreed, the Multi Installer makes BotF life much easier, on all platforms. Ive had no problems with XP sp1,2,3, Vista sp1,2, and Win7 sp1
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
anton90125
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by anton90125 »

Hi there,

Thanks for the information. I just tried it. While it was installing I got a message from my virus checker (Bitdefender) that there was a Trogan which was isolated by Bitdefender.

Gen.trogan.heur.Szw@@xdM4eg

This is not good. I am currently deleting the BOTF_1.02_English_German_b as it has been compromised.

Please advise

Anton
anton90125
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by anton90125 »

timmy wrote:
anton90125 wrote:Hi there,

Thanks for the information. I just tried it. While it was installing I got a message from my virus checker (Bitdefender) that there was a Trogan which was isolated by Bitdefender.

This is not good. I am currently deleting the BOTF_1.02_English_German_b as it has been compromised.

Please advise

Anton
lol i doubt the virus has anything to do with the download from here i d be very suprised. :lol:
The file was the only thing I downloaded. My machine is scanned every night.
I have just completed a deepscan with no infection. I do believe that the BOF1.02 file has been compromised. It would be worth the website people doing a scan of the file themselves. It would no harm after all. 8O
anton90125
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by anton90125 »

timmy wrote:

Please advise

Anton
lol i doubt the virus has anything to do with the download from here i d be very suprised. :lol:
Sorry I downloaded 2 files but the Bof1.02 was certainly the source. My Bitdefender log :

is-9AU95.tmp in C:\botf\ (The folder I chose for the installation) contains

Gen:Trojan.Heur.SzW@@xsM4eg (now Quarantined)

You may lol but this is what Bitdefender is telling me. :? :(
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

extremely odd, i do believe this is the *very* first time ive heard of a virus in the Multi installer, or any file hosted on AFC for that matter... so it can only be one of a few things (since AFC does not allow virus infested files, each file is scanned thoroughly with the latest definitions at the time of publishing):

1. Your virus scanner is detecting something that *IT* sees as a virus. This is most likely what has happened in your case.

2. Your definitions are out of date, or are corrupted. This is usually not the case, but it can happen.

3. You are a liar. This is almost never the case, unless you are a liar. lol :P

Being serious now, I would check to make sure that your definitions are up to date and that your web browser is free of viruses (how to scan a web browser, i have no idea)

Do a full computer scan, which could take several hours. In the meantime I will talk to the Admin here and see if he will scan the Multi (actually I just redownloaded it like 2 days ago too, so I will do a scan as well.)

thanks for posting
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Ok I just scanned my copy which is 4 days old, and no virus.

First of all, i googled your *antivirus* and it is definitely not the *best* on the market, as far as free versions are concerned anyway.

I would definitely go with AVG Free version, its the best, strongest, and most trusted by millions. Definitions updates daily. I would link you, but Im sure you can just go to download.com and search for AVG Free and you will find it.

The latest version is 9.5 i believe

Good luck, and I think Thunderchero will be around in a few mins to speak as well.
Last edited by Tethys on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

I would recommend you change your Antivirus Program, Bitdefender is known to cause problems and hasn't even got a good protection. Get another "free" Antivirus product, its worth it.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Please advise

Anton
Hi Anton,

Looked for more info about "Gen.trogan.heur.Szw@@xdM4eg" and there was nothing listed on Bitdefender.

Are you sure this is info it gave you?

I am guessing Bitdefender will give this notice to any installer they do not know develeper. (microsoft, sun, java, microprose ect).

it is more than likely warning you that installer is about to edit your registry from unknown develeper (all game do this).

I just downloaded fresh from site and tested with avast and nortons with no warnings.

so I suggest getting a better antivirus to protect your system.

thunderchero
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

anton90125 wrote:While it was installing I got a message from my virus checker (Bitdefender) that there was a Trogan which was isolated by Bitdefender.

it's just the heuristic scan method... means some structures of this file are alike to some data your av-programm has in its big database.

Heuristic scan method means some algorithms compare structures of known threats to detect new unknown threats (high bit error rate included). I got this with a few botf-mods as well but never had any problem. (these files are outdated now and I never read that anyone ever had a problem)

so in this exe much things are included (for a scanner it is an odd file). just think about the stbof.res (zip) file with its tons of jpgs, hobs, libs and whatnot. That is why it is logical that the scanners heuristic methods detect it. For the scanner it looks like an packed file with tons of crap in it - could be everything - so you get this heuristic warning.

:arrow: the content of the exe file (which is a zip in a zip in a zip with a few zips around it) hits the criteria of the heuristic algorithms in perhaps a hundred ways at a time

so you got a false alarm :!:
bradlington
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by bradlington »

Thanks. I was searching this forum because my virus scanner which is not free and provided by my ISP Virgin Media also picked up the same virus. Its in quarantine now so I suppose I should unpack it.

Thanks for the info
Im not lazy, just energy efficient

Return to “Modding Information Archive”