The best Borg Cube Model out there ...

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

The best Borg Cube Model out there ...

Post by Chernabog »

Hi,

Who has one and can i borrow it for my mod please :lol:

Doctor_Breens cubes are good but quite low polycount, so I was wondering if someone has a more detailed one that they dont mind letting me use in my mod?

Thanks,

C.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: The best Borg Cube Model out there ...

Post by Dr_Breen »

Chernabog wrote: Doctor_Breens cubes are good but quite low polycount
they have 6 pollygons only :-) they made me the low polly record holder

if there's any general intrest i can do 2 new cube models (a regular and a tactical one). or is there anybody out there who is already making a cube?
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I think Jigalypuff is making some, but I havent heard from him in a while nor seen him around... :(
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

erm, a polygon has to be a triangle, otherwise it won't produce a flat object... so a cube has to be:
12 polygons.

That's going off what I learned as the basic rule of 3D modelling years ago, and I've never had reason to not believe then. *ahem* besides, the guy who modelled the Kelvin from Star Trek 2009 using nothing but the trailer prior to film release confirmed it, and he's a pro.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

@alex as the name polygon sugests you can use diffrent n-gon shapes -- traditionally triangles are use but some times tetragons (4-gons) are used if Dr_breen used tetragons then one tetragon (square) per face of the cube and it can be modeled by using only six polygons. This of course is a question of efficiency but there is no maximum limit on the polygons that can be employed to form a cube just a question of processing power.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

I thought that was merely a function of the latest programs detecting that two polygons that share a line are both on the same flat plane, and so allowing model to be displayed with fewer "polygon"s that it actually has.

As such, as told to me by said professional cg modeller, a model will always have polygons int he shape of triangles, no matter that the latest programs hide such, since it is no longer the days of plotting each start and end point for said polygons' lines.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

it is a fact that all polygons can be broken down into triangles this has been known since ancient times and indeed the principle and programming of 3d modeling software rely upon this simple geometric fact.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Peter1981 wrote:it is a fact that all polygons can be broken down into triangles this has been known since ancient times and indeed the principle and programming of 3d modeling software rely upon this simple geometric fact.
very true, but the conversion process can convert them into any shape as long as they are on same plain. this is the only way to get the 5000 poly models into BOTF.

thunderchero
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

thunderchero wrote: but the conversion process can convert them into any shape as long as they are on same plain. this is the only way to get the 5000 poly models into BOTF.

thunderchero
that step prevented me from being forced to redo the DS9 model again.

about the cube: making the cube was simple, every 3d editor has primitves you can use as a base for you model all i did was using the "qube primitve" which uses tetragons (6 of them) of course i could have broken these tetragons down to triangles (which would result in 12 triangles). but why should i? :wink:
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

Dr_Breen wrote:
Chernabog wrote: Doctor_Breens cubes are good but quite low polycount
they have 6 pollygons only :-) they made me the low polly record holder

if there's any general intrest i can do 2 new cube models (a regular and a tactical one). or is there anybody out there who is already making a cube?
Ahha ... found a good one :)

Its the tactical cube in the Borg Incursion Mod... DCER is this yours or jigalypuff's ?

Its only got the one phaser though and seems to not be able to fire at ships that get behind it (can this be altered easily does anyone know?).

I also found (or potentialy found) another nice looking ferengi model, the D'Kyri in an early version of Dafedz's Ultime Mod (which I cant find a download for, only the lastest version). Would be nice to have another good ferengi model in my mod, has anyone heard from Dafedz recently?

Filling up my pallette count atm, cleaned the whole lot out (got down to 10 essential ones) and am starting from scratch with the ships ... just need some more good cardassian ones and ferengi ones (anyone know of any more available or unreleased models? I've checked almost all of the mods and ship packs on this site :lol: )

Regards,

C.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Chernabog wrote:Its the tactical cube in the Borg Incursion Mod... DCER is this yours or jigalypuff's ?
All new ship models from that mod were made by Jigalypuff.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”