(Download) ST:BotF Galaxies MOD v0.4.0

Galaxies MOD; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Very nice game indeed...altho I never finished it yet....can't play the larger map 'cause it takes forever to go to the next turn...also...the game crashes when the dominion attacks me with 170+ starships...it cannot compute fast enough I guess.

On the small map, if I don't expand fast, then the dominion and the borg assimilate everything in sight.

And I love the fact that research and development goes beyond level 10.....it makes the game more interesting...too bad the replicators and all don't go past lvl 9.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Army37 wrote:...too bad the replicators and all don't go past lvl 9.
This will be fixed in the next update, which is currently being worked on in spare time.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

sweeet...tks Tethys
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

dont forget to thank DCER for making a UE dev version which allows me to edit the buildings for extra techs ;)
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Tks DCER...awesome work...this game has a new flavour...love the way ships behave....not all generic moves when in battle....it's a pleasure to watch space battles.

Thetys, I noticed that sometimes the game crashes against Dominion ships...don't know which ships make the game crash...thought at first it was due to the # of ships but had no problems with the borgs, klingons or romulans huge fleets.

here's the info:

ST:BOF Sun Jun 13 23:16:01 2010

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\ui\tactical\objview.cpp, Line: 1648, 0
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 1 Starting Seed: 1276462873
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 0
Turn State: 20
Turn Number: 271
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Hmm, this error has become more frequent in my mod, Ill have to look into it.

Can anyone else confirm that this error happens only when Dominion ships are used? On a side note, I DO have the Pakled transport ship in use by Dominion which is a vanilla model.

I do not know why this error happens, I cannot recall seeing it personally :(
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Tethys wrote:Hmm, this error has become more frequent in my mod, Ill have to look into it.

Can anyone else confirm that this error happens only when Dominion ships are used? On a side note, I DO have the Pakled transport ship in use by Dominion which is a vanilla model.

I do not know why this error happens, I cannot recall seeing it personally :(
I'm not sure but I think everytime the game crashes against the dominion, they use the battleship in their fleet.....I should try to change the model for another cardassian or dominion ship from one of the ship pack to see if it's the problem.

I had no problems being attacked by other dominion ships....cardassian ships are working fine so is are dominion destroyers and cruisers....never been able to crush their battleship tho....except with automatic resolve.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Lol, i suppose it could be the battleship is too uber to be bothered with tactical combat. if i remember i did scale the model up as there are 2 versions of it. Is this the normal battleship or the super battleship? Or do they both crash, if both, then its the model itself, since they both use same model.
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

The task force said Battleship not Battleship II...don't know which one it was....I was at lvl 7 or 8 and I think the Dominion was at about the same level at the time.

I have only played the Federation so far...so I'm not aware of the other factions ships and when they become available
bubbajdf
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by bubbajdf »

I also got an error in this mod. It was with random events on, and a random event occured that turned a planet into a lush planet. Then anytime i tried to go to that system to do anything, the game crashed. I do not have the saved game anymore, but I think this is the crash log for it. I just started over for the game and it has not occured again yet.

ST:BOF Wed Jun 2 14:09:54 2010

File: guifile.c, Line: 697, afl.ani
Player Empire: 4 Starting Seed: 1274485045
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 2
Tachyonfang
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Questions re: Galaxies Mod

Post by Tachyonfang »

Well, I finally got it to download correctly (I still don't know what I was doing wrong the first 3 times, but I guess 4th time is the charm?) and I've been playing it and I think it's just as awesome as I thought I would. Amazing job, dude!
I have a few questions, though, about some weird stuff that I haven't been able to find an explanation for. If there has allready been a question about this stuff, I'm sorry-I looked, but I must have missed it.

1) Update: First of all, all I have is the original download of the Galaxies Mod. Has there been any kind of an "update patch" for the mod that I have missed? If there has, I apologize for listing all the stuff below, especially if it has allready been fixed.

2) Bajoran Fighters: These Minor Race ships appear to have a Range of 0 (ZERO) which means that they are unable to move in the normal fashion. How do I change that?

3) TOW: I keep seeing the word (initials?) "Tow" in a lot of strange places, like on the diplomacy screen. What does it signify?

4) Fluidic Space: The minor race of Species???? (I forget the number, sorry) lives in a sector/system called "Fluidic Space." But I found a second sector/system called "Fluidic" (just "Fluidic" not "Fluidic Space"). Is that supposed to happen?

5) The Excalibur Class: On several occaisions, I went up against relatively puny enemies (example: a single Romulan craft, not cloaked) with a task force of 9 Excalibur Class Control Vessels, and I was very surprised that despite the fact that they have a hell of a lot of weapondry on them, A) Very little of it was actually fired at the enemy, B) That which was fired did very little damage, and consequently C) The enemy was able to escape easily. Should these ships always respond like this in battle? I mean, it lists 30-some type-12 phasers and transphasic torpedos, and I was expecting a slightly terrifying massacre.

6) Minor Race Name Mixups: I keep seeing races being referred to incorrectly; The Kazon are often listed as the Anticans, for example, especially on the Summary screen; It appears to happen only with new Minor Races (the Vulcans are always listed as the Vulcans, at least so far)

7) Hostility: I read a little about this in an earlier post, but I just wanted to ask a simple question-when playing on the "impossible" setting, are all races suppossed to begin as "hostile" to the Federation?

8) Strange Planet Attributes: I had a really weird planet crop up-
System=Galorndon Core II Growth Rate=0.5%
Planet Description=Hostile Terraforming Required=6625
Max Pop=500 Size Indicator=S
Is this normal? I mean, it will take forever to terraform this planet!

9) Tech Levels: First off, I love that you have expanded the Tech Levels all the way to 15 to include some way-cool tech advances. However, I end up seeing "Future Tech" levels referred to with an incorrect number-apparrently there is some part of the engine that doesn't realize that Future Tech doesn't begin until Level 17, with Future Tech 1 (it refers to Tech Level 10 as Future Tech 1, all the way to Level 15, which is referred to as Future Tech 6)

10) Confusion about Empire Growth: I don't know if I can explain this issue properly, but I will try. I didn't meet one of the other 5 empires until approx. Turn 175, when I ran into the Romulans. So, I checked our empire comparisons and found that somehow, they had already explored 3x as many systems, had 2x my economy, 2x my military, and had 8 minor races in comparison to my 2
Am I just a slow player? Will the AI always expand and grow that quickly? Or only when playing on the "Impossible" setting?

Anyway, that's all for now. I hope I don't sound like an ass for asking alll these questions. I love this mod-any answers you could give me would be great!
--Tachyonfang
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Questions re: Galaxies Mod

Post by Tethys »

Tachyonfang wrote: 1) Update: First of all, all I have is the original download of the Galaxies Mod. Has there been any kind of an "update patch" for the mod that I have missed? If there has, I apologize for listing all the stuff below, especially if it has allready been fixed.
The latest version as of date is 0.2.4 it can be found on the first page of this thread - it is a multi installer file, so any previous version would need uninstalling and reinstall with this version.
Tachyonfang wrote: 2) Bajoran Fighters: These Minor Race ships appear to have a Range of 0 (ZERO) which means that they are unable to move in the normal fashion. How do I change that?
As per canon, the Bajoran fighters were sublight fighters with no warp capability, so thats why they *dont* (not supposed to) move (but they do when retreating, which at this time is unfixable). A simple UE edit of the ship stats would alleviate this if it is unbearable for you.
Tachyonfang wrote: 3) TOW: I keep seeing the word (initials?) "Tow" in a lot of strange places, like on the diplomacy screen. What does it signify?
Lexicon for this slot is used by both ship map range as well as diplomacy screen. It has no other meaning than stating that the ship is Towable, however I am thinking until I can correctly solve this (switching lexicon pointers), I will rename it to None in the next GM update.
Tachyonfang wrote: 4) Fluidic Space: The minor race of Species???? (I forget the number, sorry) lives in a sector/system called "Fluidic Space." But I found a second sector/system called "Fluidic" (just "Fluidic" not "Fluidic Space"). Is that supposed to happen?
This is an error I should have fixed a while ago, but have been too lazy and too tied up with other things in the mod like the GUI and ship stats editing. Ill get it done by the next update ;)
Tachyonfang wrote: 5) The Excalibur Class: On several occaisions, I went up against relatively puny enemies (example: a single Romulan craft, not cloaked) with a task force of 9 Excalibur Class Control Vessels, and I was very surprised that despite the fact that they have a hell of a lot of weapondry on them, A) Very little of it was actually fired at the enemy, B) That which was fired did very little damage, and consequently C) The enemy was able to escape easily. Should these ships always respond like this in battle? I mean, it lists 30-some type-12 phasers and transphasic torpedos, and I was expecting a slightly terrifying massacre.
This could be 2 things: During my experiments with longer distances in between fleets of ships, Ive noticed that many beams/torpedoes miss during combat. This may be due to the large distances between enemy ships now... so I am in the process of changing all the 'Maximum beam' and Maximum torpedo' ranges on all ships to see if this has any effect: this is still in testing. On the other hand, it could just be the agility value of the Romulan ship (i am assuming it was a scout or destroyer) and the Excaliburs are too slow/bulky to hit such a small/agile craft.
Tachyonfang wrote: 6) Minor Race Name Mixups: I keep seeing races being referred to incorrectly; The Kazon are often listed as the Anticans, for example, especially on the Summary screen; It appears to happen only with new Minor Races (the Vulcans are always listed as the Vulcans, at least so far)
This has been said before, Will be corrected when i go thru the Lexicon and change stuff - been too lazy as of late lol
Tachyonfang wrote: 7) Hostility: I read a little about this in an earlier post, but I just wanted to ask a simple question-when playing on the "impossible" setting, are all races suppossed to begin as "hostile" to the Federation?
Not ALL races? If I am correct, i thought hostilities dont chance no matter the setting? Might be a bug..
Tachyonfang wrote: 8) Strange Planet Attributes: I had a really weird planet crop up-
System=Galorndon Core II Growth Rate=0.5%
Planet Description=Hostile Terraforming Required=6625
Max Pop=500 Size Indicator=S
Is this normal? I mean, it will take forever to terraform this planet!
This is because i wanted Species 8472 to use a single planet animation in their system, with a high population, so now this 500 population randomly pops up every now and then. Think of it as an easter egg :P (tho i am thinking of making the growth rate higher)
Tachyonfang wrote: 9) Tech Levels: First off, I love that you have expanded the Tech Levels all the way to 15 to include some way-cool tech advances. However, I end up seeing "Future Tech" levels referred to with an incorrect number-apparrently there is some part of the engine that doesn't realize that Future Tech doesn't begin until Level 17, with Future Tech 1 (it refers to Tech Level 10 as Future Tech 1, all the way to Level 15, which is referred to as Future Tech 6)
I thought this had been resolved. What version are you running? Is this in the notifications screens (ie Federation discovered Neurolytics at the top says Future Tech? I think this was solved, tho not 100%)
Tachyonfang wrote: 10) Confusion about Empire Growth: I don't know if I can explain this issue properly, but I will try. I didn't meet one of the other 5 empires until approx. Turn 175, when I ran into the Romulans. So, I checked our empire comparisons and found that somehow, they had already explored 3x as many systems, had 2x my economy, 2x my military, and had 8 minor races in comparison to my 2
Am I just a slow player? Will the AI always expand and grow that quickly? Or only when playing on the "Impossible" setting?
Ive been tinkering with things like Colony values and stuff like that and having buildings already built in home systems (ie enough food for the population, enough other main structures to make it so the empire doesnt build any structure in home system, only begins immediately on ships) this seems to allow the empires to expand more, and editing the colony values seems to make them go for specific colonies which they explore (ie if Dilithium is the highest value, they will colonize the nearest dilithium system with the best of each attribute to the lowest one, f.e. if Dilithium set to 5 and Good/High Industry is set to 4, Distance set to 0: Dilithium 3 sectors and 4 sectors from Home, the AI will colonize the further Dilithium system if it has better industry (higher pop i assume?) since distance is not a factor to them, then they will go for the lesser pop Dil system, unless they have found another one with a higher pop. This is mostly speculation, but this is how ive seen it to work during tests.

Hope this clears some things up?
bubbajdf wrote: I also got an error in this mod. It was with random events on, and a random event occured that turned a planet into a lush planet. Then anytime i tried to go to that system to do anything, the game crashed. I do not have the saved game anymore, but I think this is the crash log for it. I just started over for the game and it has not occured again yet.

ST:BOF Wed Jun 2 14:09:54 2010

File: guifile.c, Line: 697, afl.ani
Player Empire: 4 Starting Seed: 1274485045
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 2
This means that the game cannot find the specified graphics animation afl.ani. It seems i might have named it incorrectly in trek.exe, it should read afn.ani not afl.ani, will be changed in next version of GM. To change this you need to hex edit trek.exe do a search for afl.ani and change it to afn.ani - save. this should fix if you know how to hex edit, if not just wait for update :)

EDIT: I just checked, but i couldnt find afl.ani anywhere in trek.exe nor in stbof.res, which is really weird. perhaps it is looking for a large version of the animation, which I do not have. The only animations are afn.ani and afs.ani which are the only 2 that should be showing up. As for changing to a Lush planet, no asteroids should be appearing here. It should be a Jungle planet animation. I dont know why you get this error :(

Ill see if i can do something about it, but it seems to work fine for me.
Last edited by Tethys on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

mrpp wrote:
Flocke wrote:(not sure if the galaxy background image might interfere when playing though)
I agree with Flocke - Although the map looks stunning when zoomed out, the large amount of black means it blends in so you can't see unexplored sectors you may have missed.

The Mod does look amazing. :D
Hey there,
just have played some turns giving the borg a shot.
The mod really is interresting, will have to play some more to see how well it goes, but so far, really great work! :D

But as mrpp told, the galaxy map background really is impractible when playing the borg. But instead of demanding a new one I just solved it myself and played some little with gimp.
Here's my result:

Download tga at: http://img98.com/show.php/93813_fmglmap.tga.html

:roll: Oh and sorry for not asking for permission of the derived artwork Tethys, I hope you can live with it. :lol:
Use it at your wish. :)

cheers

p.s. @Tethys, if you want, I'll send you the xcf (or converted psd) file

Edit: damn, I just realized, the other races' ones all have large amounts of black as well. :roll:
I'll stick with playing the borg for now! :lol:
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Questions re: Galaxies Mod

Post by Dr_Breen »

Tachyonfang wrote: Turn 175, when I ran into the Romulans. So, I checked our empire comparisons and found that somehow, they had already explored 3x as many systems, had 2x my economy, 2x my military, and had 8 minor races in comparison to my 2
Am I just a slow player?
*cough* yes *cough*
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Flocke, could you do the other races like that as well? Only thing I would want differently then what you did, is keep the color of the wording (Borg Collective was green I think)

But it looks very nice and practical. I didnt know how to approach the background so I made it black, was going to return to it later. You do nice work tho, go on ;)

Ill add it to next GM update and give credits PM with links when you do them :P

Return to “Galaxies MOD”