AI colony value in ue

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Turner
Ensign
Ensign

AI colony value in ue

Post by Turner »

The AI is still a major weakness of this game, so I am interested in every possibility to improve it. I am still asking me how exactly the "AI Colony value" mechanism works and I would be greatful for any help to explore this feature.

In UE you could find these attributes with values between 0 and 2, which are all the same for every empire:
  • Worthless
    Dilithium
    Food
    Energy
    Poor Industry
    Average Industry
    Prime Industry
    Distance
    Trade
    Near Minor
    Galaxy Density
    Military
    Random
Basically, I would think that higher values makes the colony more interesting for the AI. I would understand this connection with the values Dilithium, Food, Energy and Near Minor. But the other values...

- Is worthless a kind of threshold, which will be applied on the average ratings from the other values?
- Does the AI allocate a system to one of these three Industry Types before colonization?
- Makes the high value in the distance attribute, systems, which are far away, more or less attractive for the AI?
- Which influences do the other attributes have?
- Do these settings only have influence of decisions regarding colonization or even conquering?
Turner
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Turner »

Is there noone with any knowledge about this feature? :(
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I always though of it like this:
Tethys wrote:Ive been tinkering with things like Colony values and stuff like that and having buildings already built in home systems (ie enough food for the population, enough other main structures to make it so the empire doesnt build any structure in home system, only begins immediately on ships) this seems to allow the empires to expand more, and editing the colony values seems to make them go for specific colonies which they explore (ie if Dilithium is the highest value, they will colonize the nearest dilithium system with the best of each attribute to the lowest one, f.e. if Dilithium set to 5 and Good/High Industry is set to 4, Distance set to 0: Dilithium 3 sectors and 4 sectors from Home, the AI will colonize the further Dilithium system if it has better industry (higher pop i assume?) since distance is not a factor to them, then they will go for the lesser pop Dil system, unless they have found another one with a higher pop. This is mostly speculation, but this is how ive seen it to work during tests.
viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=21501#21501
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I think Gowron tested these files at 1 point, But can not find the post about it. (may have been lost when forum was restored)

I think the files are needed or will cause crash (part of file check) But even if all values are set to (0) it has no effect on game play. The AI control was very messed up since it started as files but seemed to be changed to trek.exe so many files are not used like the combat.bin.

But, I could be wrong this was many years ago.

thunderchero
Turner
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Turner »

Thank you for your posts. Its interesing that there are public mods, which use modded colony values. Did you make any observations that the AI uses this values even for conquering (ie conquering enemy system with dilithium, even if there was another system, which was closer to the front lines)?

Especially the factor distance could be interesting in this context, because I've made the experience, that the AI has big problems conquering enemy systems, which are far away from the front lines (Although they build outpost, they need a very long time to decide, if they should attack the system or not). Changing the distance value could bring a little bit more resolution in the decisions of the AI.

I still hope these settings aren't useless...
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I have noticed actually quite a difference when dealing with Distance and Dilithium, if Dilithium is high and distance is high (i believe), they will try to find the closest system with dilithium, if distance is low or 0, distance has no bearing on their colonization and they will colonize any Dilithium system within range (or if there are none, i think they will 'get' to it)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version

Return to “Modding Information Archive”