BOTF 2

BOTF2; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Should BOTF be remade whilst keeping its charm?

I think a renewed BOTF will deffinately show gamers that this game is the best game that has ever been made
91%
I either like the original BOTF and spend my time just remodding it continuously or just give up with trying to keep up with 21st century gaming tech
9%

Total votes: 67

eprahsnada
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

BOTF 2

Post by eprahsnada »

Come on guys, with all the absolutely breathtaking work that you have all done to rejuvenate this game and keep its spirit soaring to the 21st Century and beyond, I feel like this could be a new start to BOTF, by combining as much of every mod you have and as many ship packs as possible into a brand new BOTF, with so much more going on.

More major empires (Bringing in the Borg and the Dominion, while keeping the original 5)

More minor races, such as those from the delta quadrant and others that appeared in the original trek history

New technology Such as transwarp drives and ship armour.

More ships for each empire, including relevant minor race ships, making the gameplay more diverse and deadlier, especially if combined with a smarter AI who sometimes do leave things quite open for an armada.

There is so much that can be done to the original BOTF by making it all over again, whilst keeping it in its original turn based fashion that we have all come to worship. Come on I think we should either get Bethesda to see that it would be a real money maker, or do it as a combined project of this Forum.

after Legacy failed to impress, and the new films removing us of our childhood trek, by bringing it out for the next generation, I feel we need to bring our trek back in the for of a redesigned turn-based strategy game with more wow factor than any game combined....

....at least....that's my opinion anyway.

KEEP ON TREKKIN' BIRTH OF THE FEDERATION FORUM, DO NOT STOP UNTIL THE BIRTH OF THE FEDERATION!
Do you think starships have industrial window wipers? I mean, a space-bug hitting the viewscreen at warp 5 will make one HELL of a mess!
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

erm, I don't want to lessen your enthusiasm, but I think Bethesda already failed enough :lol:
combining the botf mods and using it for a remake wouldn't work either, cause they are code dependent and use arts that bethesda wouldn't be able nor willing to use that easily.

you don't seem to know much about programming, so instead of requesting others to do the work, maybe you should start learning about yourself :)

Btw, have you ever heared of Supremacy or BotE?

p.s. I bet, just a few months and we'll have the next one with such a surreal vision :roll:
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I either like the original BOTF and spend my time just remodding it continuously or just give up with trying to keep up with 21st century gaming tech
I dislike this choices I have to choose from...

First I like BotF modding

Second I like BotE and Supremacy.

I can't choose.

The origin is BotF. But on the other side I'd also like to see a brand new game.

but in between. nothing to choose from. so, if I've got no other choice I choose BotF. (10.09.10.) ;)
eprahsnada
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by eprahsnada »

Once my new laptop comes I will get to training to do botf modding properly, but as of this time my computer is rather extremely lame. I feel it wouldnt hurt for a new mod that completely updates the game in terms of full scale graphics and better ships without exceeding the texture limit, unless that can be altered.

I will definitely get to work with trying to do as good a job as possible when i get my new piece of technology, but until then im stuck just talking about things without being able to actually do anything about it.

Right then change of Poll thingy then:

Would anybody want a complete graphic overhaul of the game, effectively making it like a BOTF 2?

It probably would take me a BLOODY LONG TIME seeing as I have no experience, but i will try and get to grips with it so i can make you all proud and earm my place on this forum.

I appreciate the posts my Borg friends :)

Keep on trekkin'
Do you think starships have industrial window wipers? I mean, a space-bug hitting the viewscreen at warp 5 will make one HELL of a mess!
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

I do really like your enthusiasm Eprahsnada, i thougt the same a few years ago, "how to contribute to this game", and well, after three years studying in a private institute 3Dmax among other graphic editors, well here i am, making new models and fullfilling a dream, integrating the ships i like and making for others, and as i know a little bit of coding, i think i´ll start to investigate those roads.
Just make that jump you need and start with basic tutos about coding or 3d modelling, there´s a lot in youtube or other forums. And you know, i never stop learning new things, if i have a problem that don´t know how to solve it, always have Dady Google to solve it.
I don´t know what machine do you have, but for coding you don´t need a core2 duo, and with a few 3D programms neither.

Live long and prosper
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

I would like a variable number of races represented. Always having exactly five is tedious and dull.
eprahsnada
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by eprahsnada »

Its not that my machine hasn't got the spec for doing it, it is just my machine is unbelievably crap and wont actually let me do much, it easily crashes over the slightest little thing and i dont want to risk it just seizing up on me, as i havnt backed everything up ready to transfer when the new 1 arrives.

As soon as I'm sorted i will start to learn how to sort out ships and other coding and try to live my ideas out, and with the aid of my good pal anjel and possibly other forummers it may possibly come into light

If anybody has any ideas as to what could be done then feel free to list, such as which races they want or minor races or ships or any other little things.

Keep on Trekkin'
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

botf was never a 'real money maker'.

If there was any money to make, another botf would already have been made and by real programmers too. 8) 8) 8)
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

mickar wrote:botf was never a 'real money maker'.

If there was any money to make, another botf would already have been made and by real programmers too. 8) 8) 8)

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far myself (although I certainly understand why you'd say that).

I suspect that BOTF probably *did* make money....just not enough for them to feel they could justify creating a sequel. My impression is that -- with certain notable exceptions like the Civilization series -- TBS games these days tend to be a bit of a niche market, and don't have a supremely high profit margin.

There is definitely money to be made in them still, but not to the extent where most AAA game companies would want to foot the bill for developing/publishing them. That's why so many TBS titles now are produced by smaller companies like Matrix, AGEOD (before the merger), Shrapnel, Stardock, and Paradox (although admittedly you could argue the latter two aren't that "small").
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

dang where does this lead to? I have agree to mickar again. And I'm not kidding :lol:
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Browser based MMO 4x games....

no expenses other than maintaining the server and developing the software
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Martok wrote:
mickar wrote:botf was never a 'real money maker'.

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far myself (although I certainly understand why you'd say that).

I suspect that BOTF probably *did* make money....just not enough for them to feel they could justify creating a sequel. My impression is that -- with certain notable exceptions like the Civilization series -- TBS games these days tend to be a bit of a niche market, and don't have a supremely high profit margin.

There is definitely money to be made in them still, but not to the extent where most AAA game companies would want to foot the bill for developing/publishing them. That's why so many TBS titles now are produced by smaller companies like Matrix, AGEOD (before the merger), Shrapnel, Stardock, and Paradox (although admittedly you could argue the latter two aren't that "small").
Geeez...they still make adventure games like Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie and the likes...this isn't a big market either but they still make them and they are actually quite good.

I've always wanted to see a game like A Final Unity or the Star Trek 25th anniversary or even DS9:Harbinger....used to love those games.

In STO we have a lil bit of that at least.

In my mind, the Franchise just being offered to one gaming company sucks....they should spread apart to different gaming companies and to what they are good at. Away missions should go to the Adventure Gaming Company, Bethesda with the shoot to kill in space and so one.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

What does Bethesda have to do with this? I don't understand why Bethesda's name was mentioned twice.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

HsojVvad wrote:What does Bethesda have to do with this? I don't understand why Bethesda's name was mentioned twice.
been thinking that for a while now too.. lol, the game was made by Microprose which is no longer a company, changed hands twice and is now owned by Atari, and they are total dicks. They dont even respond to emails.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
eprahsnada
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by eprahsnada »

Thats true, atari do not know what to do when it comes to gaming of this caibre. Star Trek games now are really more along the works of Bethesda, who do try but they will never be Microprose really. It really is a shame Microprose got bought really, we might have gotten some more awesome games. :(

Return to “BOTF2”