Whats happened to the mods?

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

tutankhaten
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Whats happened to the mods?

Post by tutankhaten »

I recently saw a mod entitled 'Project Broken Bow', i posted 2 replies under that topic and recieved no reply in about 2 weeks. i checked and the last update was at the beginning of the year.

Has work stopped?

Please reply, i was very interested in this particular mod.

T
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

why start a new post? If the user has not replyed to his mod thread why would you think he would reply to this one?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

perhaps merge this topic into that thread TC
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Maybe because the person who was working on his mod/project realized that it was toooo much to handle.

Maybe he still works on it.

As I recalled....I've been following the Supremacy thread for years now and I go check what's new every 6 months...things evolve but those are huge tasks to complete....I have no modding skills whatesoever but still even for professionals, it requires a lot of time and dedication.....those mods here haven't been created in a year....those are ongoing process that started like 8-9 years ago....remember the phaser code cracking from years ago and how the modders were exctatic about that huge breakthrough.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

I think that some mod get posted to wet the whisle and some GUI and concepts are posted and then the modder either gets bored or just has to change their priorities. I myself have been working on and off on a Mod that if i ever complete it i will post for everyone to try, but one thing I have no intention of opening up a lenghty debate or dialogue for other people to tell me what they want in it or how i should build my mod.

I think that some projects like 'broken bow' suffered from over ambitious concepts and time frames.

I remember one mod that claimed to be tos era and would be here for Christmas (2008?) new ships playable Gorn and Tholian races (i drooled). Well maybe I should have remembered what people were saying at the start of the Great War.

Recently that project had a post from one of the developers saying the project had stalled when the team broke up and that he might if he had enought time finish it.

This neatly brings me on to anothewr slight grip:-
noob modders who endlessly request the impossible; the following are examples:-
1. is it possible to add extra minors? (NO!)
2. is it possible to add a sixth major? (NO!)
3. is it possible to make a 3d combat testing program by chopping up parts of trek.exe? (NO!)
4. Is it possible to increase the resolution of the game to 1920x1080? (NO!)
5. can someone explain really indepth machine code concepts? (NO! - use google!)
6. why does my game always crash on ship science screen/tactical combat? (Because you haven't read what Hades is about!)

some of my discoveries took hours pouring over hexadecimal numbers, asm code and asm flow charts. It took me 4 years studing a Masters degree in mathematics at the universities of birmingham and hull, 18 years of learning computer programming with Oric-1 BBC Amstrads and Atmos computers. Quite simply noobs try and learn a little before posting! The forum search engine is really helpful to find infomation.

I spent a week reading every single page posted on this forum about 10 months ago. I went to bed dreaming of BotF and asm code and hex editing, I woke with question and ideas on my mind.-- AND I DID NOT POST ENDLESS QUESTIONs -- i tested learned from my mistakes and occasionally bugged the codemaster when I got stuck.

Anyway this has become a bit rantting not my original intention i was hoping to encourage noobs and inexperianced modders to use the search feature to find infomation within the forums.

:D thanks for reading.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Peter1981 wrote::D thanks for reading.
Haha, with recent happenings, I think it had to be spoken out, thank you for this greatful article! :D

On the other hand, I know myself how disturbing it can be to be ignored.
I'm sure a simple 'no' has been all tutankhaten wanted to get, but who should tell so if the responsible modder isn't available?
Noone knows what he's actually doing. ;)

Oh, and I believe it lies in the nature of human being to require the impossible. :lol:

However, I'd like to hear more about the mod you're trying to create Peter,
not claiming to get anything. :P

cheers
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

my lips are sealed until release -- no backseat modding sorry Flocke :)

@tutankhaten sorry to rant in your post with my concerns please don't take it personally I am NOT having a go at you or anyone else just trying a bit of stick rather than carrot today ;)
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Whats happened to the mods?

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I liked Army37's post. it can indeed take some time to get some progress. relax tutankhaten... do some hexediting... then time will fly ;)

In Peter1981's post there were too much "NO"'s imo. I mean 2-6 were understandable... but point 1... thats the most important one! so don't say NO too fast dude.

btw you're not the only one who actually plans a mod and keeps it hidden... but I won't tell you more. Had to kill you otherwise :lol:
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

putting 2 and 2 together, i think KrazeeXXL has a mod *is quickly subdued by Tal'Shiar operative*
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Tethys wrote:putting 2 and 2 together, i think KrazeeXXL has a mod *is quickly subdued by Tal'Shiar operative*
So that's the Galaxies mod killed stone dead as surely as it's creator then. :P
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

point one needs alot of recoding to get it to work.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

sure but everything BotF-related has to do with lots of work...

for me it's one project amongst a dozen. Have also to say that priorities change from time to time and BotF isn't in the top10 of these projects for quite a while.

Perhaps this'll change but atm there are so many other things that require my attention.

I actually could use some holographic versions of me to get things done. Time is the keyword...
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Tethys wrote:putting 2 and 2 together, i think KrazeeXXL has a mod *is quickly subdued by Tal'Shiar operative*
Ha, this liar, I'd know about, wouldn't I? :lol:

And who the hell did invoke that Tal'Shiar connection? Now everybody is informed! Damnit!
*points them to instead observe Tethys on speeding up his next mod release* :twisted:

Btw, has anybody ever counted all the mods we have? Do they even work? Has anybody tried them all??
I mean I've maybe tried seven or eight, but what's with all those old and outdated ones?
Is there any great old mod that doesn't have a multi-installer yet, which is worth to play? :roll:

Or are all those non-multi ones just old dead corpses?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Flocke wrote:Or are all those non-multi ones just old dead corpses?
I dunno poke one and see if it moves lmao

Return to “Modding Information Archive”