The Borg

BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

BBob
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by BBob »

Anyone a good combination to destroy a Borgsphere in UDM II?
Mumby
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mumby »

A Cloaking Device is your best friend when dealing with the borq... I'd even go as far as to say 15 borq cubes can be dealt with about 27-54 klingon type 2(T3 in UDM) scouts or 18-36 romulan (heavy UDM)destroyers T2... Obivously it's better to have two seperate cloaked fleets capable of destroying the borq(to protect both flanks of your empire) or else your planets will lose alot of population...

Non-cloaking Empires
Defaint class fast attacks are also deadly against the borq when put to evade. I forget the specific number needed to destroy a borq but I remember it being less than 9(maybe 5)(offer not valid in UDM)

As others have mentioned a large fast attack fleet with a complementary command fleet are also effective against the borq. Depending on the tech level its either more effective to evade(higher tech level) or ram the borq(lower levels). I believe all fast attack ships can ram the borq on the first combat turn(command cannot); if doing this it's important to remember the borq will destroy alot of fast attack ships before they ram. I dont recommend using less than 35 scouts to ram a cube(does anybody remember the actual number of type 1 scouts needed to ram a cube?)
Last edited by Mumby on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

35 scouts1/tt1 to destroy a cube sounds good to me but I didn't play vanilla for a very long time
Mumby
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mumby »

There would be afew survivors I believe... It's been awhile since I did a t1 scout bomb on the borq...

The trick is always getting that first cube... Unless you got a huge cloaked fleet and can keep there numbers down
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Mumby wrote:The trick is always getting that first cube.
affirmative. with normal large maps it always was doable for me. not a big challenge except they came under turn 100. (sometimes nasty but mostly balanced)

but now with the huge maps its different. they have the time to wipe out 20 or more systems until you get to them and this messes things up :mrgreen: (and I loved to save the minors/majors)

last game I played, I remember at least 16 cubes in my neighbourhood. That wasn't funny! ;) (especially after wasting 2 days into micromanagement!)

it's all about the borg counter. when it says: turn 50 then the borg show up at turn 50, and when it says "250" then they show up at 250. SCT wrote a big post somewhere here about this counter.

Guess I have to edit it to make it more suitable. I mean in a t1 game under turn 100... thats bs
Mumby
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mumby »

affirmative. with normal large maps it always was doable for me. not a big challenge except they came under turn 100. (sometimes nasty but mostly balanced)
Wish I've played these huge maps of yours(mod?)... But I agree completely pre turn 100 borq is BS in vanilla... I consider myself a Picard Ahab when it comes to the borq in botf and the only time I wished I could shoot my beating heart as a cannon; was in a T2 game game with the feds(turn 76ish)... I let them eat a planet until it was nearly gone then attacked... 18 hits points and the cube lived(one of the few I ever lost to the god damn AI :(
Last edited by Mumby on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mumby
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mumby »

BTW I just try to make 35 T1 scouts in a T1 game before turn 100 and it's not easy(won the game at 294 with a dual fergeni and fed alliance;I was the romulans)... Without the mizarians surrending after I declared war on them early on, it might not have been as easy... No borq showed up tho :(
hutch
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by hutch »

When do the borg ever show up...I have never encountered them...
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

edit stbof.ini and set

RANDOMEVENTS=ON
BORG=ON
hutch
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by hutch »

Thank you KrazeeXXL.

I checked and those were already set.

I am on turn 661 on one saved game and not a sign of the borg yet...I am in an alliance with the Cardassians...I destroyed the other ones...I am playing as the federation....
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

In addition to what Krazee said, make sure that Random Events are enabled in BOTH the main menu's Options screen, and in the configuration screen (where you set the difficulty setting, map size, etc. for new games). I believe you'll need to start a new campaign in order for the changes to take effect, however.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

IIRC you can turn off random events mid game by entering the option's menu, but AFAIK there is a problem with reactivation or the random events -- something to do with the save game being loaded in conjunction with BORG=ON/OFF. I thing there is a thread somewhere on this forum.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

sometimes the BORG just don't show up in a game. had lots of them where they didn't :/

you might find this great thread useful:

Scheme of the Random Events
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

sometimes the BORG just don't show up in a game. had lots of them where they didn't :/

you might find this great thread useful:

Scheme of the Random Events

according by another very interesting post by our Code-Master Spocks-cuddly-tribble a cube should spawn if you've got more then 50% of the overall population

Domination victory conditions

check also:

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=10788#10788
iron420
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: The Borg

Post by iron420 »

Story: I once played a vanilla game as Cardassians vs a galaxy of Borg! lol The game started off with Klingons in the bottom left, Me in bottom middle, Ferengi in Bottom right, Feds in top Right and Romulans in top left. Early in the game (I was around tech 4) Ferengi started getting really friendly. I was at war with Klingons so I didn't pay too much attention. Long story short the Borg had spawned in Ferengi space. After they wiped them out they moved on to the Federation and then the Romulans. By the time the game ended It was only the Cardassians and the Klingons. The only reason the Klingons were still alive is because I had pacified them but didn't have time to destroy them. My space wrapped around their tiny corner of the map like a big "C" shape so they were safe from the Borg because of me. Along with the Klingons I owned 25% of the map. The rest of the map was a barren J class wasteland. Cubes were everywhere (I couldn't even count because I didn't cheat but easily over 2 dozen). The borders of my space had a "fence" of starbases at each system and I had 2 veteran fleets of command and several groups of fast attack. My strategy was to ram with all fast attack every fight and collect XP for my commands. I personally killed 13 Cubes myself this way (didn't even dent the Borg forces of the galaxy though. I won by finishing off the Klingons and being the only non-Borg still alive lol.

Question: I've notice the Borg in UDM are far less fearsome (and that saddens me). I've only ever see spheres, but never Cubes. Also Spheres aren't as strong (rightfully) as Cubes were. In vanilla, if your system died to Borg everything turned J class (a cool special looking J class) and a 2nd cube spawned! I just absolutely loved that and I miss it immensely. Is there a way to have old skool Borg in UDM?

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”