Windows 7 problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Are you running the vacuum or the blender? Lol, sorry that just reminds me of the interference you'd get on the tv back in air reception days when an appliance was turned on.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

dang I have the feeling that I'v encountered this bug as well but don't remember how I solved it... :/ (there's so much bugs...)

one good advice is always to get the latest updates of all and everything.

the last thing I'd try would be a virtual machine. but only if nothing else works.
(worked everytime!)

Thunderchero's multi installers saved my life. Regarding BotF ;). W/O them I wasn't even able to install the game anymore (original cd, iso...whatever)

The multi installers always worked fine for me and for most ppl, too. Lots of ppl can play Botf with "Crap7"

Atm your problem is a bit beyond me. If you've deinstalled everything and reinstalled tc's multiinstallers... everything should be fine. No matter what OS you're using.
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

This reminds me of my flickering screen problem I had trying to use BotF on Win7 32bit. The only solution for me was to set up XP SP3 again. Nothing worked. Updated drivers for my Radeon HD 3850, changing all possible video settings in stbof.ini, game was unplayable. I hope you'll get around this. Good luck from me.
krazyk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by krazyk »

These lines?

I am in the vanilla 1.0.2 with win7 x64. Didn't have this issue with the computer I built before this one. Have latest nVidia drivers, 258.96.
krazyk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by krazyk »

Still nothing. Uninstall, restart and a reinstall of 1.0.2.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

try multi installers! they've got lots of patches included which aren't in the plain vanilla (f.e. Joker's patch which makes this game playable under XP->Vista and even 7).

nice sig btw ;)
Lathon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Lathon »

I'm curious, do you have more than one GPU set up on your system? Cuz i'm having the same problem with mine until I go onto my laptop which only has one, and works fine...
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

what about the refresh rate settings? could be possible that there are some strange settings on this low 800x600. Most up-to-date hardware works with 60hz but I dunno what'll happen if the graphics card is setup to 75 or 85 or even more like in the old CRT times.
I mean it could be an old win95 heritage that there might be an automatic setting which is=the lower the resolution the higher the refresh rate which then causes trouble.

had some problems with BotF and my old LCD which claimed "not to know this resolution". had to set it up for 800x600 and then it worked.

I just use ATI tray tools as I have an ATI graphics card but there I can setup different profiles which include f.e. the frequency for each resolution+program. Or I set it up to use the same refresh rate like the desktop uses (usually 60hz).

another thing that went through my mind is that you could disable "write combining". or for testing purposes you could disable the hardware acceleration step by step (not entirely at the beginning).

perhaps hades 1.1 or 2.0 will do the trick (try out 3DFX and DIRECT3D in stbotf.ini). I'd also try what would happen if you run BotF with VSYNC=ON or OFF. I haven't used Geforce cards for years so I can't help you with their settings but you should check out your drivers and the available options a bit. There's lots of interesting stuff to find out f.e. about the many tiling modes. [unlikely]

Can't tell you much about quad-core systems but perhaps the cores are the problem. [unlikely]

As you can see, there are so many things which could be responsible for this error..
my best guess is that it's the monitor and it's modes.

I could speculate much longer but at the end you have to figure it out ;)

But would be nice if you'd keep us updated when you find something out.
krazyk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by krazyk »

I have a single GTX 470 running at 1920x1080 at 60 hz. I've tried 59hz, and 1650x1080. Nothing. I would put money that it is a video driver or setting issue, but as to which one is anyone's guess. I"ll keep fiddling, and let you know if I find anything.
goodone
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by goodone »

u should install it in the following order:

1. botf original,
2. botf 1.02 joker patch [autoinstall ok],
3. hades 2.2 [autoinstall ok, will copy disc files on hard],
4. set 3D=DIRECT3D in stbof.ini file.

waiting 4 ur feedback.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

goodone wrote:u should install it in the following order:

1. botf original,
2. botf 1.02 joker patch [autoinstall ok],
3. hades 2.2 [autoinstall ok, will copy disc files on hard],
4. set 3D=DIRECT3D in stbof.ini file.

waiting 4 ur feedback.
I do not understand who this is directed at. But I and other people have nothing but trouble when 3D is set to anything but software mode.

Not sure if that applies to what you are talking about.
Lathon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Lathon »

krazyk, is there anyway you could put your screen resolution down to say 1280X1024? Or something smaller? Probably won't work, but couldn't hurt to try
goodone
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by goodone »

HsojVvad wrote:I do not understand who this is directed at. But I and other people have nothing but trouble when 3D is set to anything but software mode.
hades will not work properly in cases of:
1. generic graphic drivers [aka ms ones],
2. crossfire, sli, or cards that have more than one gpu [multi-gpu support should be turned off while using botf - includes motherboards and laptops with hybrid graphics],
3. gpu's that do not support 800x600 [resolution the game is using],
4. drivers with custom set dx options [like forced antialiasing, vsync...],
5. drivers with disabled legacy dx7 functions [haven't seen any, but not impossible],
6. incomplete or incorrect installs [overlapping dlls, gifs, hobs],
7. 3d=software [vanilla has much better 3d=software support].
krazyk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by krazyk »

She goes to 1024x768, but it didn't help. Nothing under the properties>compatibility tab worked either.
goodone
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by goodone »

u mean there's no 800x600?
iNqUIrY: whO ArE yOU?! Image
Image a cYbErnEtIc LifEfOrm,
LingErIng On hUmAnItY. Image

Return to “Support Archive”