How to stop a ship from making a Planetary Assault (SOLVED)

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

How to stop a ship from making a Planetary Assault (SOLVED)

Post by Peter1981 »

A ship with weapons technology requirement set to 0 (zero) will be unable to make a planetary assault unless it is joined in a fleet with a ship with planetary assault capability (i.e. weapon technology requirement greater than zero.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code: Select all

ID FUNCTION  COST/MNT SHLDS HULL BEAMS B. RANGE    TORPS T. RANGE    ACCURACY DEF AGI RANGE SPEED SCAN CLOAK PROD REQUIRED TECH 
22 Destroyer 420  32   1(0) 143  1 x 5 5.0 - 450.0 2 x 5 5.0 - 540.0 100/100  0   0.0 Short 1     0    None  -     0 0 0 0 0 0
This ship can not make planetary assalts anyone know why? is it because the weapons tech is zero?
Last edited by Peter1981 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

if weapons tech is used as a multiplicator then you got your answer
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

That would be a good assumption Krazee. I would set weapons to 1 and see what you get.

Also, SHLDS = 1 recharge, 0 points? Or the other way around?

Could also be that Scan is 0, might interfere with ability to scan current sector? Ive never tested a Scan value of 0, what are you trying to do with that?
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

the intresting thing is you don't get the option with this ship to make a planetary assault:-

a bit of testing and it is the value for required weapons tech that make the difference here

setting Weapon tech to 0 means that a ships can not on it own attack a system (the option is not avaliable in the command menu.) However teaming a ship that can't plentary bombard within a fleet that can does allow it to participate in planetary assalts.

Anyone got any sugestions how to exploit this?

I might make it so that scout and destroyer class ships can't attack a system on their own this would make command cruiser and strike more important to the game. any thoughts?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

If u can find the value u could try to replace those class (cruiser, destroyer, etc) -> allow attack system and replace with the code for tech 0, but thats a stretch of imagination right there lol
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Another way around this would be to keep all Destroyer/Scout class weapons at 0 until perhaps later in the game when they might be 'able' to coordinate small attacks on worlds/for support, by then u should have already many cruisers and strikes
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Peter1981 wrote:I might make it so that scout and destroyer class ships can't attack a system on their own this would make command cruiser and strike more important to the game. any thoughts?
not a good idea imo.

Just remembered "Once More Unto the Breach"

So, I don't see the point to forbid scouts and dd's the attack of systems on their own tbh.

ok perhaps in the case if they aren't constructed for suborbital flights like f.e. the Jem-Hadar fighters.

But this shouldn't prevent them from orbital assaults either.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

maybe just for the minors so new members don't give a expantionist a definitive advantage?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

but its somehow unlogical. I could assault a planet even with a shuttle if I wanted to ;)

the problematic with the minors is on the other side understandable. they unsettle the balance of the game in a big way. ok I like their special buildings. but to get a fully operational system with tech which is much more developed compared to the own homesystem...

it's kinda unfair. I personally would like to see that changed. As it now is f.e. in UDM3... you have to pump much more credits into minors which is a solution but only a near-sighted one (no offence).

As boni to major races are enhanced. So its in not relation any more what the feds have to invest into a minor and what now the klings have to invest in one.

If you ask me. This whole minor growing thing with the buildings bug and whatnot is messed up. And it needs a fix. More then any other things which might sound nice (at least in the beginning).
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

@Krazee

Yes I agree starting on tech 1 and membering a tech 7 race is very good for the lucky player but very unbalancing over all. I agree that making something more costly is a simple solution to the issue and doesn't really solve the problem. On the other hand starting on a tech 5 game and only being able to member tech 1 or 2 level minors would be a pain.

I believe it is possible to alter the evolution of the minors tech. I myself have cap them all at T5 (i.e. level 8) in my mod

I agree you could (espesially the Klingons or Borg) assault a planet with just a shuttle craft, but, in BotF planetary assault is there to either destroy buildings, kill population, liberate captured territory or conquor new territory.

IMHO the suppression of a world should (at least early on) require a few cruisers not just destroyers and scouts (who can join in the attack with the cruisers if they wish.)

Further it was not my intention to suggest that ALL destroyers and scout should not have the ability to make planetary assaults on their own, my initial point of view was that light (early T1/2) craft should require the support of heavier starships i.e. cruisers and strike ships. to make an assault.

As a seperate thought this could be a way of making the Command Ships have a real meaning if and only if all planetary assaulting craft are require to work in combination with a Command ship? i.e. command ship are the only ships with weapons tech greater than zero.
EnPhreg
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: How to stop a ship from making a Planetary Assault (SOLVED)

Post by EnPhreg »

could not repeat this result.
tested it with different federation ship types with weapon tech level set to 0.
tested it also with actual technology level itself set to 0 for federation.
every time it was possible to make planetary assaults with the ships.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: How to stop a ship from making a Planetary Assault (SOLVED)

Post by thunderchero »

did you test with vanilla un-edited?

my first test I had same results assault button not displayed.

ship tech 1,1,1,1,1,1
1.jpg
1.jpg (219.83 KiB) Viewed 6773 times
ship tech 0,0,0,0,0,0
0.jpg
0.jpg (225.4 KiB) Viewed 6773 times

Return to “Modding Information Archive”