Empire/Race map Colors

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Xcathdra
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Empire/Race map Colors

Post by Xcathdra »

Hey all.. I've spent about an hour trying to locate this info, and so far no luck so I thought I would just ask.

Is it possible to change the empire control color? I like playing the Romulans but the green map control color just seems to light and difficult to see at times.

How would I go about making this a bit darker if possible?

Or if someone could point me to a link with the answers if its out there. Please keep in mind im a noob when it comes to editing.

Thanks
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

The files are a little differently named than you would expect. First, you need Photoshop or something that can edit 16 bit tga files! Now on with the information:

Using DCER's Ultimate Editor (Im assuming you already know how to use it, if not please refer to tutorials), extract the tga files c_check, f_check, h_check, k_check, and r_check (all filenames ending in .tga) to a folder and open them with Photoshop or .tga editing program. Edit them as you want. REMEMBER TO SAVE THEM AS 16 BIT TGA! Or it will not work!

Any other questions you have should be answered by others, since Im off to work this morning ;)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Xcathdra
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Xcathdra »

Awesome... Thank you very much for the help.
Xcathdra
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Xcathdra »

Ok so apparently I am stupid lol. I've tried a few times now to change the color of the Romulans, but have messed it up every time.

I am using corel paintshop photo pro x3. File loads fine, 2 layers detected (grey scale). Ive tried to edit the color to a brighter green on both layers, and each layer individualy.

I save the file uncompressed 16 bit tga, and then reincorperate it back into the res file.

Any thoughts?
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

check with UE as you can convert it to 16bit if it isn't 16bit but the .fnt files are only used for brightness colour is assigned in trek.exe IIRC.

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=687
Xcathdra
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Xcathdra »

Peter1981 wrote:check with UE as you can convert it to 16bit if it isn't 16bit but the .fnt files are only used for brightness colour is assigned in trek.exe IIRC.

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=687
Unless I did something wrong they were 16 bit. The link you provided was also tried and I am still not doing it correctly. I have tried several different things, resulting in an almost invisable sector control color.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

soory i'll try and be clearer:-

IIRC trek.exe controles the GUI map text colour i.e. green, blue, red et al. The .ftn files control the brightness -- try making the .ftn file letters more bright (i.e whiter) for brigher letter and darker (i.e. blacker) for darker leters on the GUI map.

I thought that the code for the colour in trek.exe had been found but I couldn't find it yesterday on this sight -- anyone got any thoughts on this?
Xcathdra
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Xcathdra »

Peter1981 wrote:soory i'll try and be clearer:-

IIRC trek.exe controles the GUI map text colour i.e. green, blue, red et al. The .ftn files control the brightness -- try making the .ftn file letters more bright (i.e whiter) for brigher letter and darker (i.e. blacker) for darker leters on the GUI map.

I thought that the code for the colour in trek.exe had been found but I couldn't find it yesterday on this sight -- anyone got any thoughts on this?
Not real sure what I was doing wrong, but in the end managed to edit the brightness, although the effect is barely noticable. As far a changing empire colors around people were talking about just renaming the *_check files, allowing a quick swap of empire colors.

I would liek to know if its possible to edit outside the standard color for the empires.

Thanks for all the help!
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Is this what you are trying to do?

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=18114#18114

If so, proceed with the r_check.tga file (Romulan checkerboard tga).

First, import image into your editor.

Second, desaturate the image. Now you have a black/white copy of Romulan checkerboard.

Next, replace checkerboard color with color of choice from available color palettes and save as 16 bit tga file of same name (r_check.tga).

Import into stbof.res using UE and save. Update trek.exe if asked to do so.

Should work fine. :)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

I think tethys he's trying to change the font (.ftn) colour -- IIRC they are hard coded in trek.exe.
Xcathdra
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Xcathdra »

That was it.. Thanks guys. Now I can actually see the Romulan Empire sphere of control.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

glad to help ><

Return to “Modding Information Archive”