Online MP for dummies?

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

radorage
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Online MP for dummies?

Post by radorage »

Hello everyone, I'm a new member to the website, but Ive been playing BoTF ever since it came out. When I was at home we had a 4 computer LAN system setup to play some great multi-player matches, and I finally dusted off the old disk and installed it on my Vista laptop.

So after I installed the game, I came here to download and install Jokers 1.2v Patch and the game seems to be running fine.

So, now my issue is how do I setup a game with my buddy back home over the internet? I know from reading several different posts here that there are multiple ways of going about it, but I wanted to know the EASIEST and most stable way of doing this. I have read several posts and I'm kind of lost, Im not a big tech guy so sadly I need pretty basic setup directions.

Anyone that could help me out, it would be Greatly appreciated so we can enjoy this great game again!

-Pete
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

easiest way is to
1.install SELF-installer version of the game
2. set up a static ip address and sort out ports
3. get on WZ
you are done

if you can't set up static ip or sort out ports, then direct ip (i.e. no routers) or HAMACHI interface is the solution.

join the tourney
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
ruthlessferengi

radorage
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by radorage »

I took a look into the Hamachi Interface and like the idea of this setup. My question is after I setup the interface where both computers are in the room, do I need to complete any additional steps such as opening ports/ips/etc in order to setup the game? Or does that setup create on online LAN just like a local LAN setup?

I know when I launch to host a multi-player in the game, I get the options of: Network, Modem, and Serial. Which of these items do I choose and what information do I populate with the Hamachi interface running.

Again, not crazy techy here so opening ports and creating IPs are a little out of my knowledge range. Thank you soo much for helping me out here.

-Pete
ruthlessferengi

hamachi creates a private ip connection. it assigns a new ip to your comptuter. no need to alter ports.

When you and your partner are in one room, then start both of you botf.

for hosting computer, go to:
host, network, tcp/ip (don't enter there anything), enter the name of the game you like and your name. enter next screen - chose setting. next screen - wait for your opponent to join you.

for joining party: go to mp, chose join, network, tcp/ip - enter hosting ip (it is on top of your hamachi network), enter your name, not necessary to enter game, next screen should take you to a screen where the game of you host is highlighted...

now, in hamachi, one party may crash and the other not know anything about it - i.e. the other guy will keep playing with the ghost, so check your pm frequently...

WZ is FAR superior connection imho...

ruthlessferengi

btw opening ports is VERY easy as is getting static ip... not many players play hamachi too..

radorage
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by radorage »

Awesome! Thanks again for the info, maybe after I start getting back into the norm of the game I can see a few of you out on WarZone :)

-Pete
ruthlessferengi

hey Pete, swimming is practiced better in a real waters so join us at the upcoming mp fest:)

radorage
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by radorage »

So I went through all the steps finally, but the person that is joining cant seem to detect the hosting game. The host (we both tried hosting) would setup the game and everything, and would wait at the species select screen, and the person that would try to join would enter TCP/IP name of the host and player name...but when he would get to the next screen, it couldnt detect any current game.

What are we doing wrong?
radorage
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by radorage »

After alittle help from another player in WZ, we finally got everything talking back and forth. I was able to connect to my friend through WarZone, we launched the game, and was able to set everything up. I could even see his gamer-name in the Species select menu right before you can launch the game.

...Then we ran into one HUGE problem. Whoever was hosting could select their race, but the joiner couldnt select any of them! tried clicking, arrow keys, enter, headsmashing the keyboard...nada. So we are litterally at the last step before being able to launch the game, and it wont let us pick a race.

Any thoughts?
ruthlessferengi

well, you have bypass turned on... that's c0mmon trouble... bypass does not work well. you either try to reload the game (about 5-100 times) to punch through or give up and get static ip and open ports... or hamachi...

ruthlessferengi

i've been using hamachi over a week now (travelling etc) - it wors fine but sometimes you need to switch host in orrder for this to work... i am able to see Carcher when we play but if i host - no go...

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

You both need to enable DMZ on your routers. For Linksys routers type in your web bar 192.168.1.1 username and password should be default admin > admin

Look for Applications and Gaming and then click DMZ and set it to Enable. Then go back to WZ turn off the Bypass and try again.

Not sure on other routers, but DMZ needs to be enabled.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
ruthlessferengi

yes, at home it is enabled... I am having a hard time trying tohack into hotel's router :) any ideas? :))

ruthlessferengi

yes, at home it is enabled... I am having a hard time trying tohack into hotel's router :) any ideas? :))

Return to “Multiplayer Games”