Question about AI in UDMIII?

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

xDx
Commander
Commander

Question about AI in UDMIII?

Post by xDx »

Hello,
First off I want to thank everyone involved for making this site and keeping such a wonderful game alive for 12 years now. I have been a fan ever since it came out and now I am enjoying some of the wonderful mods that have been made.
Currently I am playing UDMIII on impossible as the Federation. I am playing on a med size galaxy in the large version and expected to encounter the comp foes with huge empires for a better challenge. I am on like turn 200+ and the closest empire (the Klingons) is about half my size. I start my games on T1 if that matters.
I read a couple of posts saying the AI is more aggressive in this mod so I am wondering if I am missing something? Is there a way I can make the AI stronger? Please any help or insight would be of great help and I thank you in advance. Of course no AI can take the place of a human player so if anyone is interested in playing someone new I am down anytime. :)

Thank you,
xdarktrooperx
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Thanks Peter1981 for the thread link. I have looked through it but unfortunately I am not very skilled in rewriting code. I guess I will have to just play someone online for a true test. Any idea when the next tournament will be?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Question about AI in UDMIII?

Post by thunderchero »

xdarktrooperx wrote:UDMIII on impossible as the Federation. I am playing on a med size galaxy in the large version
As I have posted before large galaxy will never have as good as AI as normal. I don't even think with new code changes it helps to over come the space problems for AI to advance correctly.

thunderchero
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Thanks Thunderchero. That does explain why some empires don't grow and why some are twice as big. I have tried to play against the AI on T2 while I start on T1 and that makes things a little more interesting. But I will stick to the game on normal galaxy. Thanks again.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

TC wrote:
I don't even think with new code changes it helps to over come the space problems for AI to advance correctly.
have you tried SCT's AI trraforming bonus? It's quite frightening to be last after 100 turns on normal :!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Peter1981 wrote:TC wrote:
I don't even think with new code changes it helps to over come the space problems for AI to advance correctly.
have you tried SCT's AI trraforming bonus? It's quite frightening to be last after 100 turns on normal :!
Nope :wink:

I have not done any coding in almost a year now.

thunderchero
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

combining that with the biotech terraforming make for quite difficult AI if you start on Beginning/Early and they are on Expanded/Advanced!
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Peter1981 wrote:TC wrote:
At the same starting level or you on Beginning/Early and AI on Expanded/Advanced?

I just had a look at your code changes list (looks like with more modifications than a space-shuttle, btw.) and can't see the AI minimum terraform limit, which is strongly recommended when using the speed-up(expansion a bit slower, but more sustainable development of AI empires).

If there is a demand for, then I'll rewrite my code for AI terraforming speed with more adjustment possibilities, but it's a bit work, since I made the terraform options fully independent. So this would mean that I can't look into some nice ideas w.r.t. random events.

But I fear thunderchero is correct, there appear to be hard coded and still unknown limitations, which lead the AI to just to sitting down and pulling beans, at some point. :?
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

At the same starting level or you on Beginning/Early and AI on Expanded/Advanced?
Player lower than AI SCT :) works beautifully on impossible ;)
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

xdarktrooperx,
pm me, we'll arrange a game... far more fun than playind dumb ai...:)
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Just sent you a PM ruthless. I am looking forward to a game in MP with an actual living and breathing human!

@Peter1981:

Yes I agree starting on T1 while AI is T2 or T3 makes for more interesting game. UDMIII large version as Feds at turn 300 Klingons were ahead of me in research by like 5%. Not much I know but still the Klingons? I can't imagine on a normal large galaxy human T1 and AI T4 or 5?
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Oh I forgot to mention AI in my game were all at T2. Btw, (':idea:')maybe Mentat can do that with his Dominion War scenarios? Force the Feds to start at least one tech level lower than other empires given their early advantage?

Thanks,
xdarktrooperx

Return to “Modding Information Archive”