Problem loading UE on Windows 7?

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

xDx
Commander
Commander

Problem loading UE on Windows 7?

Post by xDx »

Hello everyone,

I cannot seem to get UE to load on my computer. I followed the steps described on installing JRE 6 (update 24 is the newest one I guess) then I downloaded UE 0.7.0 b from the downloads page. I goto open UE.jar and the only thing that happens is what looks like a command prompt appear for half a second and disappear. From what I see before it closes, it looks like some error pops up and says java will now close but I'm not sure. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my computer. I have tried installing 32bit and 64 bit versions on Java and the same thing keeps happening. I know this seems like a dumb question and I'm sure it is something of a simple fix so please forgive my simple mind! Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

xdarktrooperx
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

try download ing the lates version from

http://www.4shared.com/dir/142297/a6d6d62d/Public.html

It that doesn't work try reading through this thread

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi ... sc&start=0
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

After setting up a new system I faced the same problem again although I'm running XP 32bit. Even with the latest version. Either I faced this command window or an error message: "Could not find the main class. Program will exit."

DCER told me a solution.

@captaindusk

sorry to hear you're having problems, not sure what's causing this. Older versions of java (below 1.6) would throw this error when faced with java apps compile with 1.6. You could try running it from the command line. In the folder where UE is create a text file, open it and write "java -jar UE.jar" without the quotes and save. Rename the text file to run.bat (you need to tell windows to show file extensions or it'll be named run.bat.txt nstead), double click it and it should run the editor.

Works for me. But I'm wondering what's causing this anyway.
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

@Captaindusk

Thanks that did solve the problem. You guys are great always with the fast responses! I just recently got addicted to BotF again and am playing some of the mods out there. So I'm trying the UE now so I apologize if my question was answered in a previous post (there are so many to read through). Thanks again.
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

that's what I do under win 7, use the command prompt and then type the java -jar ue.jar in the ue folder and have not encountered any problem since then. At first I had to use the instructions that I copied and pasted on my desktop but now them know it by heart lol

Return to “Modding Information Archive”