CTD with modded UDMIII.

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

xDx
Commander
Commander

CTD with modded UDMIII.

Post by xDx »

I have been working recently on tweaking my personal copy of UDMIII using hex editor Neo in conjunction with UE and I have not been very successful as of yet. I have gotten some tweaks to work (eg terraform fix, galaxy size correction for AI) but I am trying to implement many more including some of my own little tweaks changing percentages here and there.
The game starts up normally once I have all changes made that I want but on T4 or T5 games it will CTD somewhere between turn 25-35. Lower tech games seem to be fine at least up to around turn 150 which are what my tests usually ran. Once the game crashes I try to hit continue and the game freezes but does not crash.
Unfortunately there is no crash log report and running integrity check in UE for both trek.exe and STbof.res yield no errors. So my question is what do I seem to be doing wrong? Any code I came across that was already altered for UDM I don't rewrite and move on to another tweak.
I have tried this now half a dozen times with different tweaks to see if I could find the culprit that crashes my game. If anyone would be willing to help me I would appreciate it. I can upload my latest trek.exe and stbof.res if it is needed. Thanks in advance. :)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

xdarktrooperx,

sorry to hear you are having problems hex editing.

But unless you know the exact code location that is causing your problem Help would not be easy.

I suggest you start over (fresh install) and test after every change. this way if any change does not work you can go back to before that change. (if you backup your work)

good luck

thunderchero
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

I was afraid you were going to say something like that (sigh). I guess a lot of testing in between every change is the only way to go. Off the top of your head do you know any compatibility problems with SCTs tweaks list for UDM though? Thanks again for the fast response TC.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

xdarktrooperx wrote:Off the top of your head do you know any compatibility problems with SCTs tweaks list for UDM though?
nope, I would just watch for already edited code this may cause conflicts if not edited correctly. Many of SCT code is already used by UDM.

thunderchero
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

OK I have finally found a good mix of code fixes to help my SP game along without crashing of course. Now I have one more question concerning AI expansion. I have implemented SCTs AI map scan fix for the 52 edge of large map and I also tweaked the AI build ship stats so they build plenty of colony ships. Now I am playing with colony values but most of the colony ships still sit in the AI home systems. What else do I need to change in order for them to expand? Example: colony values for each category are set to the same value (0.5) except prime industry and dil (0.7). Any insights would be appreciated. :)

Return to “Modding Information Archive”