Who do you play as and why?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Which BOTF Civilization do you play as?

Romulan Star Empire
24%
United Federation of Planets
41%
Klingon Empire
15%
Cardassian Union
15%
Ferengi Alliance
5%

Total votes: 41

Elim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Elim »

New though I am, I have definitely noticed that there is something to be said of each of the empires represented in the game (with the possible exception of the Romulans, with whom I have a great and quite perplexing degree of difficulty playing).

That said, I do tend to enjoy playing the Cardassian Union. Economically weak, outmatched to varying degrees by the ships of other empires, distrusted by major and minor races alike, the Cardassians seem perfectly structured to force the player to adopt strategies befitting those employed by Cardassians in the series in which they appear. Pitting neighboring powers against each other, keeping them off balance with sabotage, ambushing fleets, breaking treaties, grabbing poorly defended systems and consolidating your holdings with exhaustive defenses and brutally repressive means of keeping the populace docile and productive. You cannot afford to play nice as the Cardassians and no one is better able to fight dirty.
Just plain, simple, Garak.
ElimGarak
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by ElimGarak »

I'm always partial to the Federation: their ships rock, all around their capacities are excellent (except for that invasion/subjugation morale penalty: really, weren't they asking for it in the first place? I gave them a treaty chance...), and I usually like being the 'good guy'.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

I find it interesting that in my poll from August of last year, the Romulans were the second-biggest vote-getter (although admittedly still far behind the Federation), yet now are only in third place and trailing the Klingons. I wonder what's changed since then.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

we've all become older and needed some action
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Who wants to play loosers who've lost their homeplanet?

guess I will say this again in some years about the feds... better don't ask me y...
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Martok wrote:I find it interesting that in my poll from August of last year, the Romulans were the second-biggest vote-getter (although admittedly still far behind the Federation), yet now are only in third place and trailing the Klingons. I wonder what's changed since then.
Because I havent voted :P

Rommies unite!
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by ZeroChance »

Tethys wrote:
Martok wrote:I find it interesting that in my poll from August of last year, the Romulans were the second-biggest vote-getter (although admittedly still far behind the Federation), yet now are only in third place and trailing the Klingons. I wonder what's changed since then.
Because I havent voted :P

Rommies unite!
Same.

I tend to spend time playing every race, but I enjoy playing as Roms the most.
carcher
Commander
Commander

Post by carcher »

in sp vanilla i almost always play as the feds because when i think of star trek i think of kirk and picard .and,after all, they are humans like us :)

Great ships,research and diplomacy but piss poor intel , which i can live with in sp,but its a real headache in mp ( cheers mickar,chris, dissy,chaos,ruthless and jonboy :roll: :lol: )

fed morale is a bit iffy but there are ways to get around those probs,so you can bomb the crap out of another empire if you need to

in mp i like the klings simply because you can do what you like with no worries and you have the cloaked 'vorts to rampage around the galaxy :)

if kling morale goes down ...just blow something up .... problem solved :D ....simples
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky....and one day mickar.....one day.....one sweet day......HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY DAYS :D
Elim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Elim »

KrazeeXXL wrote:Who wants to play loosers who've lost their homeplanet?

guess I will say this again in some years about the feds... better don't ask me y...
The Cardassians do not end up in such great shape either.
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

I think its the Cardassians for me, I love the sneakyness and superiority complex. I also like the UI design and the shipdesigns, plus they are usualy more of a challange to play.

Saying that though the Romulans are a close second, and the race I decided to start off with playing the new UDM scenario maps (I will be doing the Cardys next).

Probaly the race I play least would be the klingons... never liked the UI or voice overs.

C.
Sela
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Sela »

I Play a lot like a romulan would play (sit in the corner and mind my own business) But I enjoy ramming the enemy so I almost always play the cardies. It would be nice to have a mod that includes the Cardassian dreadnaught missile as a ship :)

Return to “General Chat Archive”