Biggest/best mods?

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

josquius
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Biggest/best mods?

Post by josquius »

I've recently decided I'd like to play Botf again. However....its a bit of a old game.
The remake projects don't seem to have to come to anything yet so the original is all I've got. I'm wondering- are there any big mods for this which really add a lot? Any really great must use mods?
Transwarp
Commander
Commander

Post by Transwarp »

Welcome!

Before you install any mod, get the multi installer version of botf here from the download section, which allows you to run multiple mods simultaneously,
so you can try out things without overwriting the vanilla.
I prefer "Ultimate Dominion Mod 3" and "Uncivil War". (They are also the biggest I I think)
You will find everything in the Download section. Just have a look!

Transwarp
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

UDM3 is immense, huge maps, lots of new content. Very good, almost like a total conversion to STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE; Fight for the Federation.

LOL.

:)
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Welcome to the forums, josquius!

Probably the two most popular mods are Balance of Power and Ultimate Dominion Mod 3, which incidentally are my favorite and second-favorite mods, respectively.

As mentioned, UDM3 takes place in the DS9 era, and has a tone of new content -- ships, buildings, minor races, etc.

In contrast, the BOP mod makes a number of significant gameplay improvements -- especially with regards to minor race progression, building upgrades, and overall balance (hence the mod's name) -- while still retaining the feel of the original game. In addition, BOP incorporates many of the bug fixes discovered in the last couple years. Balance of Power is often defined as "BOTF as it should've been".

However, there are a number of other excellent mods that are worth trying out: Ultimate Mod 4, Error Correction Mod, All the Ages, and (as Transwarp mentioned) Uncivil Wars are all highly regarded as well. Tethys has also been developing his Galaxies mod, which is pretty damn fun despite still being a work in progress.

You really can't go wrong with any of these mods, josquius. They're all different, but they all improve on the original game in various ways. I've not played vanilla BOTF in a few years now, thanks to them (and the wonderful folks who made them)! :D
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

I found BOP unplayable on high tech - way WAYYYY too easy to build a massive fleet - on low tech was pretty good though...

And Martok, you fixed so much but yet didn't fix the "Unknown ship" bug when you hover over it to get it's reg number.. you can still see the card scout and avoid!
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

RSE_Dissy wrote:I found BOP unplayable on high tech - way WAYYYY too easy to build a massive fleet - on low tech was pretty good though...

Really? I've not really noticed that problem myself.

Of course, I do admittedly start most of my games on the lowest tech level, so that may have something to do with it. However, even once I reach the upper tech levels later in the game, I still don't usually have a huge fleet -- a decent-sized fleet, yes, but by no means a "massive" one.

RSE_Dissy wrote:And Martok, you fixed so much but yet didn't fix the "Unknown ship" bug when you hover over it to get it's reg number.. you can still see the card scout and avoid!

Thanks Dissy, but *I* didn't fix anything. You've got the wrong Klingon, my friend. :lol:

Let's give credit where credit is due -- to our great chancellor Gowron! He's the gentleman to whom we owe the existence of the marvelous BOP mod (to say nothing of guys like DCER and SCT, who -- along with Gowron -- have done a lot of the code-work and found many of the bug fixes that the mod *does* include). Other than being an enthusiastic fan (and promoter) of BOP, I can't say I've had anything to do with it. :wink:

That being said, I certainly look forward to the next version of Balance of Power. I too hope it will include yet more of the bug fixes (including the "Unknown ship" bug). :D
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Badbru
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Badbru »

I spent most of last weekend playing BoP, and for the first time ever (I think) I had a fleet of over 150 ships and was building more, whislt still earning 18000 per turn circa turn 375. That was playing Cardassians on Hard setting, traditional map sizes, Large map.
Perhaps Martok, you, RSE_Dissy, and I have differing understandings of the term "Massive Fleet".
Sela
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Sela »

for me a massive fleet is over 20 ships, and I recommend the flagship mod.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”