Question about ship groupings

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

flyboy4165
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Question about ship groupings

Post by flyboy4165 »

Hi everybody! I'm fairly new to this message board. Is it possible to change the maximum amount of ships that can be grouped in a task force? There are times when I'd rather group my ships is fleets of 15-25 instead of just 9. Thanks!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

flyboy4165,

I wish there was a way to make larger groups, but no one has figured that one out yet. And I too hope someone figures out how to do that :wink:

thunderchero
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Even if it was set to a nice even number like 10, I would be happy. They must have wanted to keep it at 1 character.
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

trevtones wrote:They must have wanted to keep it at 1 character.
Improbably because hex-values are used.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

It'd make moving your fleets around the galaxy easier if you could make larger groups than 9 ...if you have 200 ships it takes 5 mintues to go through telling them where to go, and then i usually end up missing a group of two :Lol:
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

stardust wrote:It'd make moving your fleets around the galaxy easier if you could make larger groups than 9 ...if you have 200 ships it takes 5 mintues to go through telling them where to go, and then i usually end up missing a group of two :Lol:

Agreed. I've always wished task forces could be comprised of 20 ships or so. It would certainly make life a lot easier.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

It'd also be nice because then you could do what they did on DS9 and and have the 'Third Fleet' and 'Seventh Fleet' and so on comprising of dozens of ships :lol:
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Pertinent to this topic some intersting quotes of trek.exe:

Offsets:
0x176940 \source \game\ship
Tried to add a ship to a full taskforce
MAX_SHIPS_PER_TASKFORCE

I've tried to manipulate some of the usual suspects (09s and 0As) no luck. :(
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Pertinent to this topic some intersting quotes of trek.exe:

Offsets:
0x176940 \source \game\ship
Tried to add a ship to a full taskforce
MAX_SHIPS_PER_TASKFORCE

I've tried to manipulate some of the usual suspects (09s and 0As) no luck. :(
The corresponding value "09" is stored at position 0x486FA, but changing it doesn't seem to have any effect.

I guess the problem ist that the interface does not have space for more than 9 ships per task force, anyway.
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Changing that value would only change the error check (for saved games most likely). You'd also need to find the code that actually enables/disables adding ships to the group.
flyboy4165
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by flyboy4165 »

Thanks for all the responses! Perhaps someday we'll find a way around this issue...but I agree w Stardust. It'd be nice to have dozens, even hundreds of ships grouped into different "fleets".
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

flyboy4165 wrote:It'd be nice to have dozens, even hundreds of ships grouped into different "fleets".
This could be unfavorable for map range/speed.
Gowron wrote:I guess the problem ist that the interface does not have space for more than 9 ships per task force, anyway.
Tactical combat screen can't often times display the whole ships into the group (only scroll).

The building energy screen can't display more then seven buildings per line. Still it's possible to add.
DCER wrote:You'd also need to find the code that actually enables/disables adding ships to the group.
What's it like with GENERIC9.FNT (or GENERIC.CUR), is there a relation to taskforces ?

Suspicious values at the beginning of both files.

Trek.exe refers:
0x17EF35 \source \iu\maingal\mapsys
generic9.fnt***.%d..result == TRUE

0x17F0F9 \source \iu\maingal\mapobject
generic9.fnt***.result == TRUE

0x 17F22D \source \iu\maingal\mapai
generic9.fnt***.result == TRUE
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

The fnt files are fonts - specially packed tga files. The cur files are mouse cursors - also packed tga files, but different from fonts. You can view cur files with UE.

Return to “Modding Information Archive”