adding type 10-15 main structures?

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

borgpow
Ensign
Ensign

adding type 10-15 main structures?

Post by borgpow »

ok i know now that we can use UE to add structures and ships over tech 9 so now the question is can we have more main structures maybe make botf go fully to tech 15

well idk i dont know enough to do anything advanced even though i always try i have added main buildings type 10 for all 5 types but i cant get 9 to upgrade to 10 sometimes they never even appear in the build list i read somewhere that all main structures need to be put together in the structure list but i did that i tried everything i could using UE and any knowledge i had from the old hex editor and i cant get new main structures can anyone help i might b missing something but i doubt it unless its assebly or something
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I remember this not yet being possible as the building tech requirements are stored somewhere different than the ship and research tech requirements, perhaps in edifice.bst, but location (if at all) in trek.exe is still unknown :(
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
borgpow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by borgpow »

if u change UE settings u can make buildings require tech high then 9 cuz i have type 10 buildings at tech 10 but they dont upgrade from the older ones it is its own building and u have to scrape all old ones and build the type 10 then u can use type 10 as normal main building same with type 11-15 but u still need to scrape the older ones to use the new ones
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

while I have not attempted adding tech levels, You might have to;

manually add all tech levels to the racetech.tec, tecfield.tec

or

manually set each upgrade in edifice.bst

also don't forget to set new buildings to main industry, main food, main energy, main intel, main research.

but this is only a guess

thunderchero
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

AFAIK UE will support building up to tech level ten (and beyond) (take a look at the edifice.bst topic for why)

however DCER did allow me to place building at techs above tech ten but but again due to edifice.bst format and how trek.exe read that file Type XI Farms, type XII Farms etc, will become avaliable at level 10 biotech.

To implement what you are proposing would require a understanding of how trek.exe read stores and handles the edifice.bst file.
borgpow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by borgpow »

i forgot that all buildings higher then tech10 can be build at tech10 so the 11 to 15 main buildings could all be built at tech10 even if it should be tech11 or something but what if u could get buildings built at the right tech maybe make techs 11 to 15 or i know its extreme but 11 to 20 act the same as 1 to 5 or 1 to 10

i tried editing the edifice.bst and up to 10 works fine but i need to scrape all 9 buildings still b4 i build the 10s cuz the game crashes wit no log if u scrape them too late

and one final thought b4 i go to bed its crazy but now that we understand the little more we know about trek.exe is it possible to do a kind of rearrange of file we could take out the stuff not used and stuff we have been able to work out and change like maybe since we can make a phaser slot be used for 3 ships if done right maybe we can keep trek the same size just edit how the piece to be smaller to make room

sorry its crazy i know and everyone will tell me its impossible or whatever else but i just thought and typed lol well good night ppl as u can see i need sleep
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

borgpow wrote:...but now that we understand the little more we know about trek.exe is it possible to do a kind of rearrange of file we could take out the stuff not used and stuff we have been able to work out and change...
There are many dynamic key variables that need to be understood in order to fully understand/rewrite the trek.exe file. As such many weeks/months/years more of testing may need to be done to accomplish this
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

@borgpow the latest version or UE will allow you to add new buildings so this is the best way as it updates trek.ex et al at the same time. You'll need to understand how edifice.bdt is formated and how trek.exe uses this to make progress -- however just because you get these upgrades at level ten doesn't mean you'll go straight from tech9 to tech 15 buildings you'll still need to upgrade and new colonies still start with tech1 solve the colony tech1 first i think :)

Return to “Modding Information Archive”