Weird bug - Dominion Attack Ship model problems

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Weird bug - Dominion Attack Ship model problems

Post by Darth_Windu »

Hi all,

I've created my own mod with ECM2 as a basis - it's a general Dominion mod but in this case it's a what-if scenario, with the Dominion allied to the Ferengi. I still wanted the Ferengi in-game, plus it kinda makes sense for the Ferengi to join the Dominion in that they get military muscle and can continue ripping people off.

Anyway I added the Dominion Attack Ship (the small ones, the first and most numerous of the Dominion ship types seen) from the UDM3 ship pack. However when I went to fight them in tactical, the game kept crashing. I've now replaced it with the model from the UCW2 ship pack but yet again have a problem - ships and stations will fire their phasers at the Attack Ship, but will NOT fire torpedoes. Any idea why?

EDIT: I actually replaced it with the one in 'ship pack 1', not UCW2. Also I've replaced almost every model in the game, this is the only one causing problems
Last edited by Darth_Windu on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xDx
Commander
Commander

Re: Weird bug - Dominion Attack Ship model problems

Post by xDx »

Hello Darth_Windu,

Can you post a crash log of the CTD if one is available?
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

stbof.ini? -- 3D=SOFTWARE ?

EDIT:
sorry for the shor reply earlier, I've reread your post and it isn't the 3d issue. Could you flesh out what other changes you made to the imported ship; did you replace an existing model or add a new model? what stats does it have?
Last edited by Peter1981 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Darth_Windu wrote: I've now replaced it with the model from the UCW2 ship pack but yet again have a problem - ships and stations will fire their phasers at the Attack Ship, but will NOT fire torpedoes. Any idea why?

EDIT: I actually replaced it with the one in 'ship pack 1', not UCW2. Also I've replaced almost every model in the game, this is the only one causing problems
ship scale/combat distance/torpedo min/max range any or all of these could be causing ships/stations not to fire torpedoes at the dominion ship.

thunderchero
Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Darth_Windu »

Hi all,

Well I've replaced all of the stock ships with Thunderchero's ships, in this case the Dominion Attack Ship has replaced the Ferengi Raider. I haven't changed anything about how weapons work etc, I actually don't even know how to, and this is the only ship it happens with. I even tried auto-resolve with 16 Attack Ships vs 18 Miranda's - all of my ships were destroyed, none of theirs were.

I've also changed quite a bit of text and swapped around texture files, but as I said the torpedoes fire at everything except the Dominion Attack Ship. I've tried loading up Dr Breen's attack ship, I'll see how that goes in-game.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

if you've only made cosmetic (eye-candy) changes then I can't understand why there is a problem. -- does this problem show up with the vanilla ship models?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

take a screen shot before battle begins. so I can see scale and combat distance.

also if you have been swapping around textures did you set them to correct palette?

thunderchero
Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Darth_Windu »

Well I tried Dr Breens model - the game crashed again. I can't take any screenshots with two of the models because the game crashes whilst trying to load the model. I can try again with the other model, though I'm trying to play around with Breens model scale and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll take a screenie of the one that doesn't crash the game.

I honestly can't say if it happens with vanilla models as I've replaced them all. I can try putting the vanilla model back in and see what happen though. Would it matter that I've reused the old Ferengi Raider model as the new Ferengi Explorer model?

EDIT: okay I've fixed the problem. Initially I tried putting the vanilla model back and changing the Explorer model so they weren't the same - didn't work. I tried using a different new model - didn't work. Then I thought 'well this new test includes a Ferengi transport, maybe that's the problem?' I'd replaced the stock Ferengi transport with the stock Marauder model. So I changed that to a new Marauder model, and now everything works perfectly fine.

It seems to be that the game reallllly doesn't like it if you use a stock model in a position other than where that stock model was supposed to go. So me using the Raider model for the Explorer caused crashes, and using the stock Marauder model for the Troop Transport caused crashes. Fingers crossed there won't be any more problems :)
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

that makes no sense, :? but glad you are happy

thunderchero
Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Darth_Windu »

I know! It's bizarre, but it seems to have fixed the problem. I'm using the same model that previously caused the game to crash, and now it works fine after I removed the two stock Ferengi models and replaced them with new models. It doesn't make sense to me either, but it works.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Darth_Windu wrote:I know! It's bizarre,
not after I thought about it, no troop transport can fire any weapons except klingons unless other changes are made.

And you stated you made no ship stat changes.

thunderchero
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

:) happy it resolved DW good work TC

Return to “Modding Information Archive”