T1 openers in sp

BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

T1 openers in sp

Post by ruthlessferengi »

How do you like to start your first 50 turns? How much extra research structures you build from the start? What do you build on colony worlds? Do you go for tt/colony upgrade/scrap?[/img]
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

depend on the system each is individual but if possible a power plant (e.g. wind turbines) and a shipyard to expand the ship map ranges. then industry and farms specail buildings and energy, the research and finally intel
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

ruthlessferengi wrote:How do you like to start your first 50 turns?
depends on the mo(o)d and the race tbh.

Now with large maps it's all quite a bit more relaxing to play.

But I don't have a specified way to start a game. So I can't tell you how much buildings of what type I build and when. I try to adapt to the environment and decide spontaneously. As I play with randoms I also try not to focus too much into one single direction.

But as the maps are now huge I need lots of ships. Like A or two hundred CS for all occuring possibilities. But this is more a >50 turns question and not <50 ;)
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

I buy a colony ship as soon as I can and colonise the nearest two systems.

I get the food and industry sorted out (20 industrial units if the colony size is 350 or thereabouts) and then shove anything spare into research. Enery is not needed yet because you don't have anything to power save for a ship yard and the industry isn't there to build.

While that's going on, I get the infrastructure on my home world sorted out, though I will confess, most mods if I start at t1, I open UE and mod all the empires so they have a full compliment of buildings at the start seeing as the AI seems unhindered by building up industry and so on and immediately start pumping scout ships out.

Basically I start slow and keep my head down until I've got a few tech's researched ... any minors within easy reach don't go amiss either ...
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
ruthlessferengi

Post by ruthlessferengi »

i started playing more t1 lately and am getting to the point where i can start enjoing this thing. Having played most games in t5 and t4 early tech is a challenge...

if playing with minors, just staying put and maximizing pop efficiency - upgrading food/production capability is all that's needed... Pick up a minor at turn 50 - get yourself level 5-6 tech, do a colony ship upgrade, then tt upgrade - more cash - get some minors at turn 100 - tech 6-7 - develop tech and you are set.

without minors - major pain in the butt with microdev = bringing up colonies from ground up is slow and painful:) vs AI is not as much fun - but MP at level 1 is very much like SP for the first 70-100 turns (unless you are smack next to each other)...

i found - from the outset getting a few extra research structures - upgrading food factories would free up man power to get a reasonlable output to start making some shipts for colonization/scrap for minor recruitement....

but it is fun:)
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

pretty well summarized except the (s)crap-exploit perhaps but lets not argue about this again ;) It's easier to play and win this game this way. So much for ruling galactic scrapyards than well - micromanaged empires :P

an important goal in the beginning for me is ofc any building with moral-plus like f.e. the Federation Council. So it is obviously to get every tech asap to Level 3. Colonies can help a bit to get there but I often have not more then 2-3 of them.

But all of this changes pretty easily with a major within spitting distance. Then scrapyard or shall I call it Pakled-empire-tactic becomes an option very quickly. :lol:
Last edited by KrazeeXXL on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

ruthlessferengi wrote:without minors - major pain in the butt with microdev = bringing up colonies from ground up is slow and painful:) vs AI is not as much fun
Try to play t1 on impossible without minors and let the ai start at t2, than you'll have some good fun with the ai. ;)
usane
Ensign
Ensign

Re: T1 openers in sp

Post by usane »

:D I tried. It is a suicide, i can tell. I could win only once because of the map. I encountered other major nearly turn 200.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

usane wrote::D I tried. It is a suicide, i can tell. I could win only once because of the map. I encountered other major nearly turn 200.
when you know the ai well, you have a chance, even on early meet and when ai declares war :lol:

war with an overpowered ai only is a real trouble if it manages to attack your home system. To prevent this you need some fodder colonies you conquer back and if possible do some distraction by flying through your enemy's space or try to destroy their troop transports.
Important also is to build/buy a few ships early, a few scouts, a few destroyers and at best also two or three cruisers, then you're able to operate and ai is less agressive.
Additionally you should keep care on optimal micromanagement and work on your research to catch up soon.

It's like a cat & mouse play you've to do in the beginning.
With some practice, you can win most of these games cause ai is just too dumb. 8)

GL & HF
usane
Ensign
Ensign

Post by usane »

Flocke wrote: when you know the ai well, you have a chance, even on early meet and when ai declares war :lol:
It was few years ago when i played a lot with botf, i loved it. Recently i didnt reach that level when i know the ai well, but im on it. :)
The enemy TTs always primary targets for me. I try to destroy them, and sometimes when the ai stay above my colony and try to bring more TTs i try to block the way. Against the Fed is easy to block, but Fer and Kling TTs are more difficult to catch. And forgot to mention in T1 vs T2 game i mostly play Rom. It could be similar easy as Fed too, and maybe with Ferengi, but what about Cardassia without minors ? They are slow researcher and afaik not good manufacturer either, not to mention the income. Kling is weak from T1 too, but they have better prod.

As for the distraction, i never thought about it, but if the ai is soooo stupid it is a good strategy . Thanks for the advice. i will try if will have a little time.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

usane wrote: It could be similar easy as Fed too, and maybe with Ferengi, but what about Cardassia without minors ? They are slow researcher and afaik not good manufacturer either, not to mention the income. Kling is weak from T1 too, but they have better prod.
Yeah, Cardassians are the hardest here, pretty tough to win. :roll:

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”