Save files not working

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Save files not working

Post by Darth_Windu »

Hi all,

Okay so I had my changes to stbof all worked out, then like an idiot decided to try to add a new ship (as in add one, not replace one) and then load up a saved game. It didn't work so well, as the ship types had become corrupted - things such as all of my Colony ships had become science ships etc.

Therefore I swapped out the stbof with a backup stbof I'd made. But then the game would constantly crash, because the trek.exe wanted the longer shiplist. I've now replaced the trek.exe with a clean version, but it isn't accepting any of the changes I've made to the stbof, and I can't load any of my saves - nothing comes up, all 'load game' slots are blank.

Any way to salvage this? I'm on turn about 750, so I'd rather not have that all wasted.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Save files not working

Post by Peter1981 »

well in a nut shell you need a corresponding backup of trek.exe to go with the stbof.res backup the two go hand in hand together. try adding and removing a ship from the ship list; but usuall your stuffed. sorry mate.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

well, if you still have stbof.res + trek.exe with extended shiplist you can try removing that ship with ue again.
think the fresh trek.exe doesn't work cause you already applied some changes with ue that also adjusted trek.exe before, so if you know exactly what you did, you might reassemble a working trek.exe for your stbof.res backup
trek.exe and stof.res always have to match.
If you continued your game with added ship or replaced but not matching backup/trek.exe, it's now probably corrupted, but maybe you've a working older one left.

gl
Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Darth_Windu »

Yeah I thought that might be the case, and no I don't have a backup trek.exe.

Ah well, I guess it gives me a chance to expand the shiplist etc completely clean, and I can just extract the important files from my current stbof file and import into a fresh stbof + trek.exe combo. At least now I know I need to backup both of them!

Return to “Modding Information Archive”