Single Player Chatbox

Ingame Notepad (Single Player Chatbox); support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Single Player Chatbox

Post by Tethys »

I was playing GALM today on a Med map, when it sprung to my mind that: Wouldnt it be useful to have the MP chatbox in SP? If you think about it, when you encounter an anomaly such as a Cosmic Fragment or a Quantum Filament (both which cause destroyed ships, the latter of which is barely visible on the map), it sure would be nice to be able to log their locations somewhere. Also, multiple wormholes start/endpoints could be logged as well to eliminate the confusion of which wormhole leads to where?

This would probably be for QD, Im only assuming since QD was the one who fixed the enter button to send messages in MP, he may have some knowledge that could prove beneficial. But any of you are more than welcome to share any info you might have. I think it might be worth it to all the BotF roleplayers out there. ;)

(Also QD if you haven't the time I understand, I know your quite busy and this is a most insignificant request, so no worries, its here if you want it!)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Re: Single Player Chatbox

Post by QuasarDonkey »

I already have a patch for bringing up the chat window in SP, but there are a few kinks to work out. I'll check it now.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I love you. <3 (not in a gay way)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

You do realize that when you load the saved game those messages would be gone. It sounds like you want a ingame notepad.

thunderchero
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Precisely. I wonder if the chat log can be saved to a .txt that would be able to reload (or at least copy/paste, which would do the job in the meanwhile). But that would probably be more work then its worth. Im fine with copy/paste, unless QD WANTS to ;)
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Tethys wrote:I love you. <3 (not in a gay way)
That's okay.

Anyway, to enable chat in single player, you just need to replace two conditional jumps (6 bytes each) to load up the chat window and to activate the multiplayer icon in the main galactic screen. Here are the patches in hex notation:

Code: Select all

0xB89BE:  E9 BB 00 00 00 90
0xD932F:  90 90 90 90 90 90
Tethys wrote:I'm fine with copy/paste, unless QD WANTS to ;)
Can you copy/paste to BotF? It wouldn't be an easy task to keep a log, but it might be possible.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Copy/paste does not work. So much for that, but the chatbox comes up fine. I can always play around and see how it goes. Thank you.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I <3 the usable Enter-key for chats :)

thx for this QD! :D

@Tethys: use a pen and paper or a secondary screen with npp opened like the rest of us ;) or run BotF in windowed mode with npp beside that. Possibilities are endless :P

@wormhole coordinates. would be cool to see the coordinates where a wormhole leeds to.

like this f.e.:

this is how it looks atm:
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Would require a new function wouldnt it? Or maybe 2? One to designate the endpoint and one to designate a broken wormhole (no endpoint)?
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

IIRC wormholes have a flag for destination sector (can be set by UE .sav files) --> Further a wormhole IIRC can lead to other endpoints (blackholes etc?) so to put this infomation on screen would require code that test for endpoint flag a duplication of the wormhold text with the co-ordinates retrieved from the endpoint in formation. the hard part of this is finding enough space to put the code in.
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Peter1981 wrote:the hard part of this is finding enough space to put the code in.
Not so. Using IDA, you'll find plenty of subroutines in Trek.exe that are never called (i.e. with no cross-references). You can also overwrite subroutines like the one for the CD check.
Peter1981 wrote:Further a wormhole IIRC can lead to other endpoints (blackholes etc?) so to put this infomation on screen would require code that test for endpoint flag a duplication of the wormhold text with the co-ordinates retrieved from the endpoint in formation.
Writing the code for this will be the hard part. And we need to find the exact code to print the wormhole info.

That's interesting about setting an endpoint to a blackhole. Wouldn't that make it a one-way wormhole?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I suppose it would ;)
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

years ago i set in UE in a save game a wormhole endpoint as something else but i can't remember what happend (maybe CTD maybe very little improvement so didn't do much investigation) but a one way wormwhole could lead to a nebula or balck hole, neuton star or x-ray pulsar (and with sutiable graphics exit apature for a borg transwarp hub!! ;) hay tethys -> something maybe for the Galaxy mod??)
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

It could only currently work for save games. Until it is discovered how to edit save state info?
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

The one way wormhole actually works fine, it has been set up that way for the Barzan wormhole, in the Dominion Wars canon map that I had made for UDM3. It leaves exploring ships stranded in a nebula, that destroys them after a few turns. The only way out is to send a few transports through the wormhole to errect an outpost, with sufficient shield recharging to avoid destruction and allow the stranded ships to find shelter outside of the nebula. IIRC it was my intention to allow the Federation(human player) to quickly get in contact with the Zakdorn, as soon as the Ferengi had been made affiliates.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !

Return to “Ingame Notepad (Single Player Chatbox)”