Linux problems/solutions please post them here

The latest information on how to install the game (All in one Installer) and mods.

Moderator: thunderchero

QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Linux problems/solutions please post them here

Post by QuasarDonkey »

For any Linux users who run BotF through wine: the latest version of wine (Wine 1.3.31) runs BotF incredibly smoothly!!! Way faster than previous versions. FASTER THAN WINDOWS!!! :o :D :lol: :P

Specifically, there's now zero lag when moving the mouse around even a large map (on my old 733 MHz CPU).

So upgrade now!
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Good news for Linux users!

Post by anjel »

it's really good news !!! so, with the latest wine, anyone with ubuntu could play it too, goooood
Shasthri
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Shasthri »

anjel wrote:it's really good news !!! so, with the latest wine, anyone with ubuntu could play it too, goooood
It depends on if the graphics on your computer/laptop/tablet can handle it. Sometimes Wine gives me problems. Thankfully, I have multiple devices, two on which it works well. I guess just try it and see if it will work with your device. Good, informative post Quasar. Thumbs up. :)
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Yeah, there are sometimes problems. For me, the mouse cursor flashes when moving the mouse -- but you get used to it :)
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Intro Videos Fix

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Here's how to get the intro videos to work in wine:

First, launch winecfg, go to the Libraries tab, and add an override for iccvid:

Where it says "New override for library", just type iccvid, and hit add. Now the version of iccvid.dll included with BotF will be used, and the videos will play :grin:

This also applies to running wine on Mac OS X and other systems.

Note: If the videos still don't play, make sure you didn't disable them in stbof.ini!
DarthDavid
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: Linux problems/solutions please post them here

Post by DarthDavid »

No problems running 1.0.0 under wine, but when I try and run the joker mod install "BOTF_1.0.2_English_German_e.exe" in the botf dir, it won't read stbof.ini.

Code: Select all

wine Botf-102-W2K-XP-9x-English-German.exe . 

C:\users\david\Temp\7zS3124.tmp>BREAK OFF 
Can't recognise 'BREAK OFF' as an internal or external command, or batch script.

C:\users\david\Temp\7zS3124.tmp>KIX32.EXE update.kix 
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Update Birth of the Federation to 1.0.2
using patch from 2008.05.19
   get botf install-path
   complete
   read infos from stbof.ini
      can`t read infos from stbof.ini
      is botf installed?
Any suggestions or steps that others followed for linux (ubuntu)?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

if you are using "BOTF_1.0.2_English_German_e.exe" there is no need to install jokers patch. it is already preinstalled.

thunderchero
DarthDavid
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by DarthDavid »

Sorry, late at night, my mistake, I pasted that filename thinking it was the same as the one I used. The one I am trying to run is actually Botf-102-W2K-XP-9x-English-German.exe. I'm trying to run it and getting the above error. Perhaps thats the wrong file and a link to the other is what I need, or some prepatched alternative.
roarke
Ensign
Ensign

Post by roarke »

Anyone tried playing in multiplayer (lan/wirelles-lan) between a windows 7 and Edubuntu ?
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

roarke wrote:Anyone tried playing in multiplayer (lan/wirelles-lan) between a windows 7 and Edubuntu ?
I've played games over wireless with two Windows 7 machines and my Slackware Linux system with no problems. And contrary to what you might have read online, Linux can both host and join BotF games.

:!: First, disable UPnP on the wireless router (this is not Linux- or BotF-specific: no DirectPlay games work with UPnP enabled).

On the Linux machine:
  • Install wine if it is not already installed.
  • Install winetricks and cabextract if they are not already installed.
  • Open a terminal, and type:

winetricks directplay
    You don't need all of DirectX, just DirectPlay. Note you should now be able to join LAN games.
  • In order to host games, you'll also need to enter the following commands:

wine regsvr32 dplayx.dll
    wine regsvr32 dpnet.dll
    wine regsvr32 dpnhpast.dll
    Run winecfg, and add these four DLLs to the DLL overrides list: dplayx, dpnet, dpnhpast, dpwsockx.
    Also add iccvid so that the intro and race videos play.
  • Run the BotF main multi-mod installer as usual if you haven't already done so, plus any mods.
  • Have fun!
drokmed
Ensign
Ensign

Post by drokmed »

Works great on Debian testing, having fun over here.

ALT-TAB doesn't always let you switch back to the desktop. It's a problem with the desktop manager, not botf. If this happens to you, you can always use the desktop manager to start/switch to another login session.

I'm on KDE. I Press ctrl-alt-ins to pull up the session manager, click on start new session, login, and I'm in a new KDE session. To get back to the game, in KDE, I press ctrl-alt-ins again to pull up the session manager, and select the previous session. It will show the screen lock splash screen, and ask you to enter password to unlock screen. Enter the password, and it takes you back into the game, in full screen mode.

NOTE: When you switch login session, the original session is still running in the background. You will still hear the game music playing.
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

drokmed wrote:I'm on KDE. I Press ctrl-alt-ins to pull up the session manager, click on start new session, login, and I'm in a new KDE session. To get back to the game, in KDE, I press ctrl-alt-ins again to pull up the session manager, and select the previous session. It will show the screen lock splash screen, and ask you to enter password to unlock screen. Enter the password, and it takes you back into the game, in full screen mode.
That sounds a bit nasty. Assuming your screen size isn't massive, you might be able to get away with playing in windowed mode (especially if playing 1024x768 mods or greater).

There's an option in winecfg for "emulate a virtual desktop", though this will put all wine programs in the same virtual desktop, which is annoying if you want to run multiple windows programs at the same time.

If you want to run BotF in its own window without changing the wine default settings, you can run BotF using this shell script, which you can place anywhere:

#!/bin/sh
cd `winepath C:\\botf`
wine explorer /desktop=botf trek.exe
Just make sure to make it executable:

chmod +x botf.sh
This suits my needs as I always do everything from the command line.

You may also be able to do something similar without shell scripts with your desktop environment's launcher icons. Just set the program to

wine explorer /desktop=botf trek.exe
and make sure it starts in the BOTF directory.
obbiie
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by obbiie »

I'm having trouble getting the UDML mod to play in 1024x768 in Wine on Linux Mint. It installs fine, I set wine to emulate a desktop and set the size to 1024x768 but when it launches it reverts to 800x600, am I missing some steps? I installed the main game and the the latest version of UDM and am launching the trek.exe from the UDML sub folder. Is there some other patch I need to pay with the extended view?

Cheers

Kevin
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

You've installed both UDM and UDM1024 mods?
obbiie
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by obbiie »

During the UDM install I chose both the regular and large installs and I selected the 'extended view' option. Is the UDM1024 a separate install file?

Return to “Game Installation, Technical Support, & Tutorials”