The 1024x768 Project

Increasing Game Resolution + patchtool; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: The 1024x768 Project

Post by thunderchero »

very nice :D

I did just some quick tests and when saving to different folder it will not save until you type the wdf file name. Could it auto add the current wdf file name that is loaded once a new folder is selected? It would be bad to get error due to misspelled wdf file name.

also when I overwrote the wdf it asked to overwrite older file. it would be nice to know if it is over writting the tga files so if a different size is used by a different screen you would see size differance. (I had no different tga file but I still expected warning)

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Thanks for your feedback.
thunderchero wrote:Could it auto add the current wdf file name that is loaded once a new folder is selected?
I've partially fixed it. It adds the current wdf name, but if you change directory the file name disappears. I'll have to root through some documentation to see if I can fully fix it.
thunderchero wrote:it would be nice to know if it is over writting the tga files so if a different size is used by a different screen you would see size differance.
Yeah, I can make it say something like this:

Code: Select all

The following files will be overwritten:
    hmaingal.wdf, hm_scrn.tga

Do you want to overwrite?
[Overwrite] [Save Copy] [Cancel]
I'm also working on a neat unlimited Undo/Redo feature. Other features I was thinking of:
  • fullscreen editing mode
  • a toolbar below the menu
  • a settings file, so it saves things like window size, recently used files, etc.
Any more feature requests for the next release?

P.S. I rewrote the resolution patchtool. It reads in the WDF files to compute how Trek.exe should be patched. It also has a nice GUI. I'll release it soon.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

i have a question, the software does it have some kind of Ctrl+Z ????
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

No not yet. I'm working on that now.
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

New releases of WDF Editor and Resolution Patchtool!

WDF Editor:
New Features:
  • Multi-level Undo/Redo
  • Zoom control in case you don't have mousewheel
  • Scrollbars in case you don't have keyboard :wink:
  • Fullscreen edit mode
  • Warnings when overwriting TGAs
  • Various bugfixes

Resolution Patch Tool:
This version of the patch uses the WDFs to figure out exactly how to patch. It will automatically fix things like the galaxy grid multipliers. You need to specify the location of Trek.exe and the location of all the WDF files (WDFs should be in a folder, not a ZIP). Note for empire WDFs, the patchtool only looks at the Federation files, like hmaingal.wdf.

(Of course, don't forget to copy any new WDF's into STBOF.RES before running your new high-res Trek.exe!)

I've also made these tools standalone EXEs, meaning no DLLs are needed.

Finally, if you spot any bugs, or would like any new features, please let me know.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

great work QD

just a quick question, can i set the reselution (in theory) to anything -- I would like to do a hi def (1920x1080) wide screen version, havn't got time before christmas but in principle would your patching tool be able to help with this?
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Peter1981 wrote:just a quick question, can i set the reselution (in theory) to anything -- I would like to do a hi def (1920x1080) wide screen version, havn't got time before christmas but in principle would your patching tool be able to help with this?
1920x1080 8O Well the patchtool will work at any resolution, it doesn't restrict you. But my computer only supports 1024x768 so I can't test it myself. So if anyone would test that out...

For a quick test, just extract STBOF.RES to a folder. Then run the patchtool, setting the location of Trek.exe and the extracted STBOF.RES files (I plan on adding ZIP support to the patchtool later). Then hit "Patch", and run Trek.exe. If it runs, it means the patch will work at that resolution.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

so any eta on HQ tga editor/resizer?

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

thunderchero wrote:so any eta on HQ tga editor/resizer?
Elaborate.

If you mean the original proposal of resizing all the TGA's up to high res, I gave up on that line. I think time is better spent working on the tools that can be reused. And I had some trouble with buttons turning black when hovered, etc. Though I have worked out the problems with nasty resampling artifacts. Catmull-Rom resampling filter works pretty nicely with resizing the TGA's.

IIRC I got the 640x480 version working nicely (but we still need to size down the GIFs). I can revive this if people want. I've mostly been spending my time working on the tools.

If it would be useful, I can provide you with a high-speed TGA converter. I don't think it's needed now since the WDF Editor has that built-in. My next plans are to make all the other properties for the WDF's editable, such as button images, etc. And to add ZIP support to the patchtool.

But I'm taking a break from everything for a few days, maybe a week.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

QuasarDonkey wrote:
thunderchero wrote:so any eta on HQ tga editor/resizer?
Elaborate.

If you mean the original proposal of resizing all the TGA's up to high res, I gave up on that line. I think time is better spent working on the tools that can be reused. And I had some trouble with buttons turning black when hovered, etc. Though I have worked out the problems with nasty resampling artifacts. Catmull-Rom resampling filter works pretty nicely with resizing the TGA's.
I do understand this would not be a popular tool, I was thinking it could be used on older mods that would not get the major repostion editing. And I would be most likely only one to use it. So if you make It, it should be a side project. :wink:

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Well the way I see is that all modern system still support 800x600, so those mods would still work as-is. Upscaling the graphics will not really result much improvement. In fact it might introduce visual errors. I'm still hesitant about this as I haven't really written an easy-to-use point-and-click tool. I rigged up a Perl script using the ImageMagick library, along with a command-line TGA converter I wrote to do all the processing. It's a bit.. hackerish. It works on my system, but I'd need to clean it up a bit to make it work on other systems.

The case for downsampling to 640x480 is a legitimate reason for wanting this, since users could BotF run on some embedded platforms -- if they're crazy enough :D

If I have time, I'll take a look at this again, but my priorities are elsewhere at the moment.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I have a wdfedit suggestion.

is it possible to load a second wdf within an already loaded wdf (see exsample below)

when cmaingal.wdf is loaded it has many picture boxes the one I have highlighted uses c_zoom.wdf. So could an option be added in properties be made to load the wdf to adjust only the postion of the box?

thunderchero
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

@TC & QD -- I agree seperating Dimentions into size and position would be very helpful ;) thanks again for the hard work on this project.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

3 things I have noticed,

1. new wdfedit crashes when loading movie.wdf
2. new resedit centers movie left right but moves it to top
3. *_load.tga when displayed image is cutoff at 800x600

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

thunderchero wrote:is it possible to load a second wdf within an already loaded wdf (see exsample below)
Not right now. I had thought of that, but it would be little complicated. There is the right-click option "Set size from...", where you can choose to set the size of the placeholder from another WDF or TGA. But it doesn't adjust position.
thunderchero wrote:3 things I have noticed,
1. new wdfedit crashes when loading movie.wdf
2. new resedit centers movie left right but moves it to top
3. *_load.tga when displayed image is cutoff at 800x600
Thanks for the info thunder.
1. There's a problem with movie.wdf (the reason wdfedit crashes is because I made it a debug release; I'll fix that). I'm not sure if movie.wdf is even really used by Trek.exe when positioning/resizing the video anyway.
2. I'm not sure why the patch positions the video wrong. I can't test it out since the videos never play on my machine.
3. I'll look at that. The load screen isn't really a regular screen tied to a WDF. At the moment, the patch tool adjusts the Trek.exe constants based mostly on what it finds in the WDFs. I'm not sure which WDF the load screen is associated with. I'll make some changes to the patch tool so some constants are maxed to the resolution, but others are based on the WDFs.

Return to “Increasing Game Resolution + patchtool”