BOTF Win7 16:9 and Windowed Mode?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

BOTF Win7 16:9 and Windowed Mode?

Post by jonesie85two »

BOTF Windowed Mode?

Question 1: im running Windows 7 x64. i'm using a monitor with the 16:9 Aspect Ratio.
Would that Distort the visuals?

Question 2: The screen seems stretched. I have tried using 'D3DWindower' and DxWnd'
but those programs don't seem to be working. does anybody know of a way to run it
windowed mode.

Thank you for your time and patience.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: BOTF Win7 16:9 and Windowed Mode?

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I just used the search function @"windowed-mode" and the third entry should lead you to the right track. (post of Flocke about "pseudo windowed mode") - some hexediting required...
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

Thank you for your help.

To be honest, im not "experienced" at hex editing. Ive not used it for a while.

So, i went back to the drawing board.

- I set my Desktop Resolution to a non-native resolution (1024 x 768) and the screen obviously stretched.

- I went into ATI Catalyst Control Centre.
- I Enabled 'GPU Image Scaling'.
- I then Selected the 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' option.

On my Windows 7 x64 system with a ATI HD6970 Graphics Card, the game displayed exceptionally on a LCD 27" 16:9 Monitor.

Works ok. But it obviously leave rather broad black bars either side of the screen and does throw your desktop icons everywhere.

EDIT: when you pop back into your native resolution win7 places all of your icons into its original positions.

Thank you for your time and patience.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

well, the game is in 800x600 and I can imagine that it looks kinda weird on a 27" monitor ;)
I got a massive shock as I seen BotF on my new 24" monitor for the very first time ;)
My first impression was like: WTF?! and the GUI looked like giant Legos for me, too xD

But that's always the case if I didn't play old games for a long time. The first hour I'm like wtf@graphics and think: no way! but then I get used to it. :lol:

I don't know much about "GPU image scaling" option as I don't use CCC at all. Sounds like it'd stretch things out a bit. Atm it's running in fullscreen for me and I got (kinda) accustomed to it.

As for the icon-cluttering... I use ati tray tools. There you can store icon positions for every resolution and set up much other things as well. Don't know how it's working with the 6000 series of ATI/AMD cards as I use a much older gen but this little tool got a heck load of options. Some are risky to use if you have no clue about them - advanced d3d tweaks f.e.
But I have to add that there isn't a way to force your drivers to run BotF in another resolution. At least no one found a way yet.

But modders are working on a 1024x768 version. check out the modding section for progress on this topic. It's pretty exciting and I'm sure we'll see a lot of rly cool updates in many ways in the not so distant future.

So stay tuned :)
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

just played a botf game after playing battlefield 3 in 1600 x 1200 mode. it really is weird for a few moments
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Yeah it's an exciting time for BotF modding. I'm actually working on the 1024x768 version right now. Eventually we'll make other higher-res versions too, depending on demand. I think we'll have to have at least 1 widescreen version.
Gh0st
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Gh0st »

Good news QD
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

yeah, i have to admit. your work looks like one of those corner stone BOTF developments like UE, adding ship models and Extending Galaxy Map just to mention a few.
Haleth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Haleth »

Solved by Flocke

Try the mpr++ (alpha phase just ask in the threat)

Standard functions

- New Engine (much better graphics)
- runs in a Window (changeable per key)
- and it safes the ratio (whit a ini adjusting)

mfg
Haleth
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

Return to “General Chat Archive”