Multiple Mods Installation Question (BoP and UDM)

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Grifman
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Multiple Mods Installation Question (BoP and UDM)

Post by Grifman »

Ok, I've got something strange going on here. I wanted to try both Balance of Power and the Ultimate Dominion mod. So I installed the game, calling it "Birth of the Federation" and then installed Balance of Power. Played that some, everything was fine. Then I installed the game again, this time calling it BOTF (in a different directory), and then installed the UDM. I was wondering what the install would do, but when I started up BOTF, UDM was there and everything looked ok. It did not give me a choice as to where to install UDM.

However, I just tried starting up "Birth of the Federation" (BoP) and instead, got some things that looked like BoP and others than looked like UDM. The game set up screens looked like UDM, and the game interface looked like UDM, but the ships were BoP. And I got the UDM voice for alien race descriptions. Weird stuff going on there.

Is there a problem trying to have two different mods on your machine? Is there anyway to direct either mod where to install so I can have both at the same time? Thanks.
Last edited by Grifman on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

LOL,

error, crash, error, crash this is all you will get. This is a bad idea. Now if you were to do this it would take editing each file one at a time depending on what part of each mod you wanted but to blend them and keep them working without crashes would be very hard to do.

thunderchero
Grifman
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Grifman »

Sorry but you misunderstand. I am not trying to combine two different mods. I am trying to have two different installs of BOTF, each running a different mod. Please go back and reread my post. However, I have gone back and tried to clarify things since you didn't understand - I have two different installs of BOTF in different directories so I could have two different mods on my machine at one time. Or that is what I am trying to do.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Yeah I did misunderstand, but If that is what you want, read this post. but I have never tried it.

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=164

thunderchero
Badbru
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Badbru »

I do it the same way Sean_West does it. I have three versions and on my comp whatever version I'm currently playing is called Botf. And the others get renamed Botf_BoP or Botf_UDM or Botf_Clean. When I want to swap I just rename what I'm playing and add the _extension and then rename what I want to play by removing the _extension. It works for me without anymore crashes than I would usually expect from Botf.

So if you have UDM3 installed and want to try Balence of Power (I recommend it) Rename your Botf file Botf_UDM. Reinstall Botf. Download and install BoP which will install over your fresh Botf file not the Botf_UDM file. Don't forget to use jokers patch on your fresh install ofcourse.
Grifman
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Grifman »

Ah, great, that sounds like it will work. Thanks for the suggestion.
Joker
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Joker »

I've already made an autoinstall Balance of Power edition
???

http://botf.4shared.com
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

I don't think it's a good idea to have more than 1 installation of Botf on the same partition. I tried it out a few times with UDM3 and Vanilla and it caused a lot of strange glitches.

Those auto-installers are great and they work really fast, so it's easy to swap between the different mods. All you would have to do is backup your saved games for each mod in a folder.
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

I can't say i've had any problems so far, i'm using UDM III a lot right now, but while i was in the tourney i needed Vanilla with hades added to it.

So i had my BOTF folder with UDM III. i cut everything in the folder and paste it into a folder on my other hard drive. then grab my vanilla/hades 9copy and paste) into the botf folder. When i'm done i reverse it :d

it's worked so far...i bet there's easier ways of doing this, but i'm an idiot :lol:
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
Joker
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Joker »

Renaming folders won't harm the game itslef
but don't expect autinstallers will act the same way
They depend on InstallPath and Version under this key

Code: Select all

reg.exe query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microprose\Star Trek: BOTF"
Turner
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Turner »

Hmm,
I am very surprised about what I read here.

My first action after the installation of UDM3 was solving this problem, because i wanted still be able to play vanilla botf.

So, now the solution:

Trek.exe needs the information, where the game files are. So its checking the path storaged in the registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microprose\Star Trek: BOTF.
So you just have to say to your modded trek.exe, it should use another registry key for this.

For that open your modded trek.exe with a hexeditor and search for SOFTWARE\Microprose\Star Trek: BOTF, you should find this two times. Now change both entrys for example to SOFTWARE\Microprose\Star Trek: UDM3.
Important: Do not change the length of the entry.

To the end just create the new key in the registry with the new values.

I hope i ve made your life a little bit easier^^

Return to “Modding Information Archive”