Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
Nevernamed69
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: All Ages Mod

Post by Nevernamed69 »

Playing with Feringi started at Level 3 extra large map. Have 35 systems feds have 16 and larger fleet Klingons have only 7 and at war with me there "larger" fleet of 49 ships was barely wiped out by an outpost 2 and 15 feringi destroyer 2 and strike cruiser 2's. When I finally launched an offesnive it wouldn't let me take a klingon planet and hold it without them immideately declaring idependence (in the same turn!). I know I am playing on impossible but that is a little crazy 8O . I have played with all races except klingon and I enjoy the game quite a bit...Hadn't tried capturing an enemy planet before... don't know if it is a bug.... I have noticed that AI will concentrate more on building a large fleet rather than expand and that the borg are really really strong :( ....I enjoy the game immensly I hope that the bug is limited to the Feringi and Klingons :| ... Thanks for all the awsome work!
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Nevernamed69 wrote:When I finally launched an offesnive it wouldn't let me take a klingon planet and hold it without them immideately declaring idependence (in the same turn!). I know I am playing on impossible but that is a little crazy 8O
The moral of the system you're trying to invade is extremely low hence it's instant rebelling.

you could:

- wait some turns until the point the Klingon's moral has somehow stabilized / meanwhile stop attacks on other Klingon facilities/fleets/affiliates/allies
- wipe the system out
- edit savegame
Nevernamed69
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Nevernamed69 »

Thanks I probably will wipe them out, rule 1045 from the rules of acquisition if you can't make a customer happy, get new customers!
Kojote
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kojote »

A review, hm?
Well... Since I played this mod most that'd be fair.

All the Ages has indeed a different feel. The early ships from ENT and TOS make the early days of the Federation feelable and add to the general flair.
The mod runs stable (fewest number of ctd's and the like) and the speed of changing turns stays at a bearable rate until very late game (which means a starbase fence and between hundred and two hundred systems for my empire; a huge fleet for everybody and around 15 to 40 systems for each ai power).
The Feds have gotten by far the most attention imo. They have several different (and sometimes redundant) ship classes. The other powers are not that well off. Somehow it wasn't that much fun to play my beloved Romulans with this mod. I feel they lack ship classes and maybe some buildings also.
What I really like (besides the many Fed ships) are the sizes of the star systems. They are huge compared with vanilla and other mods. Sometimes above 800 for Minors. Imagine the building speed of ships...

I also like that you can build some rather powerful Minors ships. Yridian scouts and Xindi warships - which can both cloak - Are a really cool addition to Federation fleets. And Tamarian defenders outclass nearly any other ship in hull strength and make a great addition to the cloaked but otherwise fragile Romulan fleets.
Some of the other Minors ships are more or less crap, though. A Nausicaan Raider gets outclassed by any Destroyer II and crouches with speed one even at maximum tech. But in the early game this aggressive bastards can be a real pain in the ass for the slow moving and weak starting ships.

There is some difference between the major powers. I can't really remember if it was this way in vanilla, too.
Most memorably the Feds gather most Minors, the Ferengi cumulate gigantic fleets and the Cardies are sneaky and always try to dominate or befriend you (depending on how strong you are) and coax you into warring somebody else. Klingons and Romulans pale a little in comparison and behave 'normal'.

The things I dislike are mostly the things I disliked in vanilla, too. Combat tends to evolve into clashes of whole empires fleets butting heads since the ai gathers everything it has and tries to get the better of you. More minor clashes would be great. But why should the ai use less than full power?
I modified the speed of most starships (from all races) to speed up the movement of fleets a bit for I almost exclusively play large maps. But that's just personal flavor.

There are things I like from other mods that I'd love to see in AAM. Like the Dreadnoughts from UDM p. e.
And there sure is potential for another version of this mod.
But apart of this it is very playable and stable and more complex than vanilla. It's fun to try and I spent hours with it.

Its great work and I want to say thank you for this cool mod!
Nameless573
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Nameless573 »

Hey everyone,

I am new here and from germany. if my english is sometimes not correct do not mind it :D

I was excited to find this website with all the mods for Botf. I play the AAM mod now over month but i think there is a problem with the Cardassian Heavy Cruiser. So far i read a lot about botf and maybe for many others the Command ships are not that important but i have read that command ships gives you a bonus in the tactical battle but the cardassian heavy cruiser are useless. The split up the formation of all other ships so that there is even more room between all ships and this causes that ships can't use all of their firepower. Also they don't use all of their firepower as well (the heavy cruiser). When i attack a starbase with a heavy cruiser in my fleet i lose much more ships as I put in a fleet that only consists out of strike cruisers. That makes the heavy cruiser really useless. Actually i came here to ask anyone if he can help me to resize the ship so that the ship is not splitting up the formation anymore.. but maybe my review on this leads to an other solution.. The Cardassians are my favourite race because of their intelligence and the re-education centers :D I like the moral boost but i definitly hate the heavy cruisers.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

Nameless573 wrote:Hey everyone,

I am new here and from germany. if my english is sometimes not correct do not mind it :D

I was excited to find this website with all the mods for Botf. I play the AAM mod now over month but i think there is a problem with the Cardassian Heavy Cruiser. So far i read a lot about botf and maybe for many others the Command ships are not that important but i have read that command ships gives you a bonus in the tactical battle but the cardassian heavy cruiser are useless. The split up the formation of all other ships so that there is even more room between all ships and this causes that ships can't use all of their firepower. Also they don't use all of their firepower as well (the heavy cruiser). When i attack a starbase with a heavy cruiser in my fleet i lose much more ships as I put in a fleet that only consists out of strike cruisers. That makes the heavy cruiser really useless. Actually i came here to ask anyone if he can help me to resize the ship so that the ship is not splitting up the formation anymore.. but maybe my review on this leads to an other solution.. The Cardassians are my favourite race because of their intelligence and the re-education centers :D I like the moral boost but i definitly hate the heavy cruisers.
Welcome to the forum Nameless573 !!, glad you are enjoying the mods and all the stuff there´s around :wink:
Well, about your problem i would just recommend use UE (Ultima Editor) to modify the cardassian heavy cruiser stats at your will.
Take a look at modding forum, there you´ll find "Ultima Editor" post, read it and re read it again, and you´ll find it´s easy to modify what you need :D
Nameless573
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Nameless573 »

anjel wrote:Welcome to the forum Nameless573 !!, glad you are enjoying the mods and all the stuff there´s around :wink:
Well, about your problem i would just recommend use UE (Ultima Editor) to modify the cardassian heavy cruiser stats at your will.
Take a look at modding forum, there you´ll find "Ultima Editor" post, read it and re read it again, and you´ll find it´s easy to modify what you need :D
Hey again and thx for the welcome,

Can i resize ships and/or hit boxes with the UE? If i can I am going to read the whole topic. I just asking because you only talked about stats and stats sounds for me i can modify speed, torp and phaser damage, hull und shield strenght but not the size or the maybe more important hit box of the ship.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

That would be the scale of the model which can be found Edit > Graphics > Add/Remove ship models in UE
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Nameless573
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Nameless573 »

Tethys wrote:That would be the scale of the model which can be found Edit > Graphics > Add/Remove ship models in UE
Thanks for your help i will give it a try :)
joeld1212
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by joeld1212 »

I've been playing this mod a lot lately, and I have to say I love it. The ships look great and I really like the large system sizes.
The best thing for me though, Is the AI. Somehow, it seems to have been improved. In my games, the AI builds large fleets and uses them better. They will conduct large scale attacks, conquer my planets and are generally quite a bit more aggressive.

Now, I'm not saying the AI is any kind of genius, but in the vanilla game or any other mod I've played, the AI fleets, big or small, generally just sit in their capital system and let you conquer their other systems at will. Even if they declare war on you they only half heartedly attack, if at all.
In the All the Ages mod, the AI will attack in force, often respond to my incursions, and usually builds their best ships and groups them better than the other mods.

I don't recall anyone else posting similiar comments about this mod. Is it just me experiencing this improvement?

I just wanted to give a shout out to the person who made this mod. Now if we could just get the Dominion in it!
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

I have played this mod almost exclusively but I use the extra large map. I do have a few gripes. I mostly play the Federation so my comments will be directed there but they likely apply elsewhere.

First off is the automatic upgrading of ships. When I build early, I try to make as many light cruisers as possible because they will eventually become light cruiser IVs automatically, same goes for the destroyers. To be realistic, I don't think they should upgrade more than once. I just can't see older ships in the "real" world going through more than one major refit.

I also don't like the change that only allows one kind of outpost. I think the vanilla manner of construction was much better where your first transport makes an outpost and the second a starbase. Outposts should be weak and easily overwhelmed such as the original series having several outposts destroyed by a single Romulan warbird. The current strength of the Starbase is much more appropriate and they should be fairly difficult to destroy. (One big "hate" is to have a fleet heading to attack an outpost and it happens to upgrade to the next level. Doesn't happen often but it's done damage to my fleet a couple times.)

Another gripe is the overlay pictures in the galaxy view. Something with a little color in it would help distinguish between explored and unexplored sectors. The Federation's overlay is okay, it's mainly the other races.

Last gripe is with the minor races' ships. They are overall okay but I would suggest some tweaking. The Xindi, for example, should be much stronger and faster than they are. I mean they took the NX-01 INSIDE them to make sure it could keep up. While I like the Yridian's power, I think they're a little too much as we never really saw that strong of a ship in the series. A switch between the two would be ideal. Furthermore, I think all the ships should have at least one newer version over time and very few races, such as the Angosians, should stay at speed 1. Ships from the Tellerites and Nausicans get to be useless after a short time.

Beyond that, I love the mod. If I didn't, I would play it so much so kudos for just about everything else.
SunWuKong
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by SunWuKong »

This is a new lease of life on BotF!

I've had goes on all races and the balance is good.

Regarding minor race ships that upgrade: do all space faring races have five starship levels or does it vary?

For instance I think Vulcans go to IV, but Zakdorn only to level II and Tellerites seem to be stuck at Level I for 300 turns!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

SunWuKong wrote:do all space faring races have five starship levels or does it vary?
yes it does vary, if you want more info open the readme file in start menu or in install path.
SunWuKong wrote:For instance I think Vulcans go to IV, but Zakdorn only to level II and Tellerites seem to be stuck at Level I for 300 turns!
once you member a minor I think in this version they no longer advance. so yes they will be stuck at the ship you membered them at.

thunderchero
SunWuKong
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by SunWuKong »

cheers TC

Return to “All The Ages Mod”