C++ Course, Signup!

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

C++ Course, Signup!

Post by Flocke »

Course started with C++ Lesson1: Preparations :!: :!:

Interest in C++ recently raised alot with the Yet Another BotF Clone project.

While I'm still in doubt this project will succeed others like Supremacy (which admittedly isn't it's goal right off) and I fear it will take years to become comparable complete to good old BotF, I feel this is the right time to get modders into C++.
Noone is too dumb for C++, it's just a mighty topic to get into, specially when you're on your own.
You all can help in getting that project done, and for BotF modding C++ will become increasingly more important, too, so we should not miss the current enthusiasm. Without motivation, forget about learning C++.

To get this course started, I want at least 5 people sign, forum members known to be interested in botf.
Nonetheless, every botf fan is welcome to participate!
Last edited by Flocke on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: C++ Course, Signup!

Post by anjel »

you know that i´ll be glad to join, to expand my knowledge where a few has gone before, lol. So i´m in :)
Live long and propser
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

I am familiar with Java already. I'm in. i guess the logic is the same but the syntax isn't. there's also a few thing like memory management which you don't have to deal with in Java i'd like to become familiar with.

I'd like to remember that we still have a TS3 server running which can be used by afc.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Lathon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Lathon »

Dr_Breen wrote:I am familiar with Java already. I'm in. i guess the logic is the same but the syntax isn't. there's also a few thing like memory management which you don't have to deal with in Java i'd like to become familiar with.

I'd like to remember that we still have a TS3 server running which can be used by afc.
C++ and Java are very similar, and you'll get a hang of it really quickly. The only problems you'll run into are really pointers, and the rest of memory management for C++.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

There are much more differences than memory management.
Take template programming for reference, or the std library, you can almost call it to be part of the languague by now, especially with C++11.
Java comes with a huge range of Core-Library functions right of the box, with C++ you rather use external libraries if not contained in std library.

But it's true, having learned Java you already know most of the basics and template programming is an advanced topic you can leave apart.
However I don't want to limit on newbs in programming. If you already know on C++, help teaching, or if you're interested in advanced topics, ask. I know the languague to quite an extend by now. ;)

First thing we'll gotta talk on is compilers, IDEs, general C++ concepts and a simple HelloWorld application to give people an overview and a smooth start. Later we'll go on with basics and decide on interest.

So I see two (and a half) signups so far, and I already read of AT LEAST two more interested people in the BotF-Clone thread.
I'm looking forward to the next three signups! :D
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I would like to sign up, however you all already know my schedule is not a set one, and I am unable to make this serious of a commitment at this time. I will follow the thread/read along if the course is publicized (on the forums), so you could say this is the other half of the signup ;)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

"HelloWorld" no..............

anything but that. Any way you should know by now I am too old (you can't teach an old dog new tricks) I doubt I would ever be of any coding help to QD's project. I will be lucky to understand just enough to get me in trouble. for adjusting values and compiling.

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote:I will be lucky to understand just enough to get me in trouble.
I take that as signup number 3.75 :)
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

I am definitely interested in learning new tricks so you can sign me up completely. Of course I do have two main reservations... 1.) I know nothing of coding except the hex edit I taught myself once I started modding BotF and I can read ASM a very little... I know what Java is, C++ etc but if I were to join you would need to start very VERY basic for my Pakled brain to comprehend. So with that said I am willing to learn and I'm not exactly a slouch to learning things quickly so I leave it your decision if you want my brain=go to tag along in this endeavor. And 2.) as tethys said, my schedule as well is very varied between work and availability of free time plus we have two sides of the world to contend with as well and we saw how the tourney ended partially due to constrained times schedule. I, tethys (and Angel I believe) are GMT-5, TC I think is central (GMT-6) and Flocke, Breen (GMT+1) Lathon I'm not sure. So we should try and find a time (say 5 pm eastern time my time) that all will be awake and conscious to participate in this class. If we can ease through that then I think we can get this class started as soon as someone else signs up :)
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I count on you xDx!
There is no pre-requirement to participate, even if you have very few time.
This course is not going to be the classic way of setting up meetings. Instead we'll use this forum to do some talk on different topics with everyone interested participating as time permits.
I'll give you an introduction, we'll do some excercises and everyone can talk/help on questiones or whatever C++ related interest.
When there's use for ts3 or chat, you can try set up a meeting and I'll see if I can join.
But the forum has the one benefit of being time-independent and available to everyone.

The main idea of this course is to bundle your interests in C++, coordinate efforts, support each other and keep you on the right track of the endless jumble in the world of programming.

Now, who's the last 0.25 signup? :)
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

nice project Flocke. :)

I needed this 2 years ago :|
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

KrazeeXXL wrote:nice project Flocke. :)

I needed this 2 years ago :|
I'm sorry, but better late than never, so are you with us? :D
P.S. and please change your sig, I can't watch it anymore :lol:
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Flocke wrote: I'm sorry, but better late than never, so are you with us? :D
P.S. and please change your sig, I can't watch it anymore :lol:

Code: Select all

10 CLS
20 PRINT "nope"
30 GOTO 10
:P
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

KrazeeXXL wrote:

Code: Select all

10 CLS
20 PRINT "nope"
30 GOTO 10
Ah, come-on!
Someone else maybe? Else I've to count one twice I think. :mrgreen:
we'll start tomorrow
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

the nope was about the sig.
I'd love to have one where schwarenegger shows up at the end and beats the crap out of the predator.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55

Return to “General Chat”