BOTF Mac issues

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

obbiie
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

BOTF Mac issues

Post by obbiie »

Hi all,

I've searched every way I can think of on here and the googles to try and solve this but I'm pulling my hair out now.

I have an 2011 iMac (27") and am trying to get BOTF working without using bootcamp (my mac is the household media server so booting into windows is not ideal) I have tried the following:

VMWare Fusion 4 / Windows 7 Prof Virtual Machine - BOTF Multi-Mod Installs but I get the Mouse ghosting/trail issue which renders the game un-playble. The VM has 4 gig ram & 4 cores, I've tried with 3D acceleration on or off and tried Win 98, 2000 & XP compatibility modes but no change. My assumption here is that the virtualised graphics of VMware is the issue.

CrossoverGames/PlayonMac - As wine variants I tried both of these, installing the main multi mod & UDM III into one bottle. It runs fine, there is no mouse ghosting. BUT the mouse pointer vanishes a lot, on many screens, which makes it tough to deal with.

Are there any other methods I can try or tricks that fix the above mouse/graphics issues? Would regular old Wine work better than the two variants? I'm assuming I'd be wasting my time creating an XP VM since it's likely the VMware app itself causing the issue? If the Linux wine experience is better then maybe an Ubuntu VM, on my Mac with wine emulating windows?? (Now that is crazy)

I have every great 4X game released in the last 10 years yet I ALWAYS want to come back to a game of BOTF :-)

Kevin
Lathon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: BOTF Mac issues

Post by Lathon »

Not sure if this applies, but I know that running BOTF on linux through wine works just fine. So perhaps try that. I do know that it goes a bit slower than the windows variant.

Return to “General Chat”