Need help with mem leak issue?

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Lukas2409
Ensign
Ensign

Need help with mem leak issue?

Post by Lukas2409 »

Ok so the basic story is I love this game as much as everyone else, and I've got a game going that's up to something crazy like turn 2000 (yes I used the MUDD cheat) or close to that, my laptop is only about 4 years old and running windows 7. I've heard of memory leaks but not 100% sure if this is what's causing the game to constantly crash now. It won't let me progress past the turn I'm at regardless of what I do, whether I select auto for battles, change my ship movements etc. Basically I just want to know is there anyway to keep the game going for me or not?

Also take into account the disc has seen better days. Any help would be greatly appreciated because quite frankly STO sucks and I wanna play a real ST game again.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Need help with mem leak issue?

Post by Flocke »

Lukas2409 wrote:Any help would be greatly appreciated because quite frankly STO sucks and I wanna play a real ST game again.
1up to that comment :lol:
Welcome aboard!

Turn 2000 is impressive, I never even reached 500 turns. 8O
Only on very large map I can imagine to play that long. Any mod you play or is it vanilla?
I myself never experienced much of a memory leak. What people rather complain is slow down with turn process and to my experience this is mainly due to AI ship movement calculation. Best thing you can do about is reduce your enemies fleet.
Eventually we get some faster calculation work in some time, will see.

To your crashes, that might be due to a corrupt savegame. Sometimes other movements help like you tried, sometimes an older savegame helps. If you have no other savegame but auto.sav try rename last.sav in your botf folder which was the auto.sav the turn before.
If that doesn't help either you can try load your savegame with UE if that finds any issues, or you can try modify it to e.g. prevent AI battles which might help.
But before you try anything about, make a copy of your save.

Is there anything in Crash.log in BotF installation folder eventually?

Good Luck!
Lukas2409
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lukas2409 »

Ok so there's nothing useful I can see in the crash document. Also like I said I've tried other movements, I've also tried other save games. I'm considering restarting all over again tbh.
Can you elaborate on what you meant by renaming my last.sav file? What should I rename it to? I'm not entirely clear. Thanks. And also what's UE?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

in windows explorer, either rename last.sav to auto.sav or one of the gamexx.sav files to load it from the game
it's just an automatic backup of the previous auto.sav and so sometimes does help on corrupt saves
UE you find here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22
Lukas2409
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lukas2409 »

Well it semi worked switching the save names. Instead of crashing to desktop it stops responding, that though I believe is due to the bad condition of my disk, so I thank you for all your help and when I have the money I will buy another copy of the game off EBay :)
Lukas2409
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lukas2409 »

Actually if you know of a reliable crack/patch combo so I can play without the cd that would probably solve my issue!
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

sry, I'm not the site index ;)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Lukas2409 wrote:Actually if you know of a reliable crack/patch combo so I can play without the cd that would probably solve my issue!
use the multi installer.

thunderchero
Lukas2409
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lukas2409 »

Yeah it'll have to be the multi installer when I get home, can't do it now due to my gf's dodgy wi-fi. I tried patching and cracking but it didn't work. Even though I went to 1.02. I think it's got something to do with the game version, I'm in Australia and I'm not sure which version we got here at release. But the U.S cracks ain't working.
Lukas2409
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lukas2409 »

Used the multi installer as suggested, game was still crashing to a black screen and sending me back to desktop. I managed to scrape up a few more turns, I hit about 2065 I think. Then it continued crash. A new issue I've encountered is random starships of mine popping out of nowhere. Like ghost ships appearing in random systems, I can order them to move, raid etc. But when I actually click on them there's no ship icon in say the redeployment screen for example. It's weird. Could it be that the game's just gone on too long and it's starting to go nuts for lack of a better term lol? Because I started a new game and it was running fine.

I just can't be bothered with all that grind. Unless there's a mod someone can suggest that takes away a lot of the grind and makes constructing ships and structures a lot easier and more streamlined? Thanks in advance.
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

Have you tried using MPR++ 0.2.5a? It could be found here: https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf ... it&lid=196
I have used this on two systems; one improved it such that there's no crashes for a few hundred turns, the other made it crash every 10 or so turns. So your mileage may vary. :???:

P.S. - Use it on top of the Multi Installer
Lukas2409
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lukas2409 »

I read up on it that mod looks like all it'll do is improve graphics and such? I don't see how it helps with what I'm seeking to do unless you could explain further.
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

Unfortunately it's my home-brewed solution as I have no reason to be poking around in the mod files. I've used MPR++ 0.2.5a together with Core Affinity Resident (to restrict use to only 1 cpu) coupled with a batch file to disable explorer.exe upon botf.exe launch. It improved my stability 500% and I haven't had a crash since (compared to 1 CTD every 20 turns or so).
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Interesting, I may have to give this a try sometime. ;)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

Tethys wrote:Interesting, I may have to give this a try sometime. ;)
Now now...don't blame me when your computer goes supernova.

(Thought I'd put in a disclaimer before anything bad happens) :lol:

P.S. - I really do not know why stability improves after doing said things above. Since you guys have been poking around in the engine for a while you might be able to tell me why.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”