Windows 8 problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Windows 8 problems/solutions please post them here

Post by thunderchero »

adi wrote: imagine my disappointment on finding out that Win8 does not run botf properly.
it sucks I know.

thunderchero
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

it does but every cloud has a silver lining; i wanted to check for a while if I can port my changes by re installing a brand new UDMd and just copying over stbof.res and trek.exe. It worked! Well, i did not play it, but i went to the research screen and view the ship list; all the shiny new ones were there and apart from the awful delay when clicking worked fine.

@TC: I think this piece of information can be useful to others that do not build installers and want to port there changes. If you also think so, please copy it to SCT's HowTo section or something. I'll do it myself but i am not sure where to put it.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

had a strange issue with it today, cleaned botf, reinstalled vanilla and it would not run anymore, even with admin rights
then I enabled win98/95 compability mode, it worked, disabled the compability mode again and it continued to work :shock:

whatever, but mouse still sucks in vanilla...
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

I am glad mpr++ exists; recently i ported botf to a windows8 computer and the mouse lag was terrible enough to make the game not playable. Once i installed mpr++ everything is fine; and it might be just my impression but the ships in the research page looked very crisp. Thanks Floke!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

From time to time since I am running windows 8, I will play with different thing to attempt to get rid of the mouse problem (shutter, lag) what ever you want to call it.

Well I found a temporary solution for the problem on windows 8. This problem looks like a windows resolution problem. desktop being 1024 x 768 (or what ever) while game is 800 x 600 it is like it causes mouse to be out of sync.

So what I have done is added Flocke pseudo windowed mode code and set the trek.exe to use "reduced color mode" 16-bit (65536) color in compatibility setting. Screen will be located in upper left corner but game runs great and mouse has no lag.

I made a patch file for QD's patcher to make editing easier.

Make a backup before editing..... :wink:
pseudo_windowed_mode.patch
(804 Bytes) Downloaded 115 times
Hope it works for everyone

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

interesting, might be just setting 16bit mode then. Further, did you try applying just part of pseudo windowed code?
On my system sadly neither windows nor ati vision driver does allow me to set 16bit mode for the desktop.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke wrote:On my system sadly neither windows nor ati vision driver does allow me to set 16bit mode for the desktop.
correct windows 8 will not allow this, you must right click the trek.exe and select compatability tab and click box for"reduced color mode" and change to 16-bit (65536) color.
Flocke wrote:did you try applying just part of pseudo windowed code?
I did test this today and if at 0x001127F3 01 -> 00 is changed, that is only code change needed to fix mouse problem (compatibility is still needed). but it is full screen (what ever your desktop resolusion is set to) and game is in upper left in 800 x 600 with black on right and bottom.

thunderchero
irishlaura
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by irishlaura »

Thank you so much! I just got a new laptop with Windows 8 and installed BotF and the mouse lag was horrible.
But I found this site and your MPR++ and all is right in the world again. :)
Thanks again xx
trek4life
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by trek4life »

I cannot get it to work on windows 8. It loads the game but I only see a part of the full image kinda like the first post of this thread describes it...

I tried changing resolution and compatibility mode but it does not work...

What does mpr++ mean??? Is it some kind of mod????
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

MPR++ is a graphic engine; it replaces the one from Botf; it will make your game work in Win8 and it also makes the ships look damn' good; the only drawback is that if you have too many ships in a battle it will slow down the battle; Floke is working on that.
I am not sure where i install the last version from; better ask Floke
Smoothgrandmama
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Smoothgrandmama »

Mpr++ Is a life saver!
Nemo1701
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Windows 8 COMPLETE FIX - Vanilla Game

Post by Nemo1701 »

Updated instructions:
Insert the 3 files below from the zip into the c:\botf folder with no addons. Start the game up and it will appear frozen, with a icon showing in the title bar, press alt tab once or click 2 or 3 times in the open space of the desktop. and the game should load up full screen.

Update: I have also noticed that the game crashes or fails to load much more when in compatibility mode, when starting the game it works better with no compatibility tab settings on.

Here is a link to the files.

Direct link to zip
http://tore.cnc-comm.com/TS_Win8fix.zip

ddraw.dll
libwine.dll
wined3d.dll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post

Yesterday I accidentally stumbled on a complete fix for the direct draw issues present in windows 8 with the original game. I was trying to get the main menu of C&C Tiberian sun working when I found this youtube video with links in the description to a fix. On the site there is a zip folder called TS_win8fix.zip which as far as I can tell the direct draw files from the Wine project. Place these files in the c:/botf folder, and the game no longer as any graphical, sound issues or mouse lag, also the game is finding the original game cd without a no cd patch.
Last edited by Nemo1701 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Windows 8 COMPLETE FIX - Vanilla Game

Post by Flocke »

very cool if that works! :up:
thank you and welcome aboard the forum
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

Well, it's a bit late for April fools so i'll give it a try as soon as i get home.
thanks!
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Does this also work with mods or just with plain vanilla game?

Return to “Support Archive”