Windows 8 problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Windows 8 COMPLETE FIX - Vanilla Game

Post by Flocke »

for testing OF COURSE I had no mpr++ applied, and reading up on http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html (link from credits.txt) it's even mentioned to load slow:
"Cons: Slower game startup and difficulty switching between windows." which is no surprise considering it maps everything to opengl
it works, that is already great

why should I apply multiple fixes for rendering, that makes no sense
if I'd apply mpr++ it wouldn't use the wine ddraw dlls anyway as mpr++ is not DirectDraw based but uses directx 9
Azhdeen
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Azhdeen »

Nemo1701 wrote:Updated instructions:
Insert the 3 files below from the zip into the c:\botf folder with no addons. Start the game up and it will appear frozen, with a icon showing in the title bar, press alt tab once or click 2 or 3 times in the open space of the desktop. and the game should load up full screen.

Update: I have also noticed that the game crashes or fails to load much more when in compatibility mode, when starting the game it works better with no compatibility tab settings on.

Here is a link to the files.

Direct link to zip
http://tore.cnc-comm.com/TS_Win8fix.zip

ddraw.dll
libwine.dll
wined3d.dll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post

Yesterday I accidentally stumbled on a complete fix for the direct draw issues present in windows 8 with the original game. I was trying to get the main menu of C&C Tiberian sun working when I found this youtube video with links in the description to a fix. On the site there is a zip folder called TS_win8fix.zip which as far as I can tell the direct draw files from the Wine project. Place these files in the c:/botf folder, and the game no longer as any graphical, sound issues or mouse lag, also the game is finding the original game cd without a no cd patch.
So, adding those three files on my default multi-installer copy loads up just the same as before and appears to fix the latency issues within the game (have not played very many turns yet). This is pretty awesome.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Azhdeen wrote:So, adding those three files on my default multi-installer copy loads up just the same as before and appears to fix the latency issues within the game (have not played very many turns yet). This is pretty awesome.
so what is your CPU? still trying to figure out why my load time is so long.

thunderchero
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

Flocke wrote:for testing OF COURSE I had no mpr++ applied, and reading up on http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html (link from credits.txt) it's even mentioned to load slow:
"Cons: Slower game startup and difficulty switching between windows." which is no surprise considering it maps everything to opengl
it works, that is already great

why should I apply multiple fixes for rendering, that makes no sense
if I'd apply mpr++ it wouldn't use the wine ddraw dlls anyway as mpr++ is not DirectDraw based but uses directx 9
This sounded to me like " bla bla bla I know what i am doing bla bla bla of course i wouldn't use mpr++ and the dlls bla bla bla" :); but i got your point.
I tried again on mine just by clicking the mouse once i started the game; and it did just as you described; first no reaction then some flashing then white(grey) screen then win said trek.exe has stooped then a few seconds later the movie intro started.
So i guess even for me it takes a while to load, sometimes enough for win to declare trek.exe MIA. But for me it is several seconds, then it runs; and i got no crashes so far. I play UDM3d so that was a stable base for the fix.
I guess for those that have to wait a bit for the start just go fix yourself a sandwich in the mean time; you know you'll be playing for a while so you'll need it eventually.

P.S. even if this works, Flocke, you're not off the hook; you showed us crisp ships graphics with mpr++, you can not let us hanging; we still want an mpr++ that will handle large battles ;)
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

adi wrote:This sounded to me like " bla bla bla I know what i am doing bla bla bla of course i wouldn't use mpr++ and the dlls bla bla bla" :); but i got your point.
what ya thinking? of course I know what I'm doin'! :lol:
your assumption on having mpr++ applied was somewhat idiotic and insulting

But no harm taken, thx you encourage my work, I'm currently working on it again like I said. Last days I made it work with multi monitor setups and right now I'm working on better scenery management and new torpedo effects. And as mentioned before you always can pm me to enlist for alpha testing. Might open a topic for that in a while too.
But I know mpr++ is not ready to solve all issues and so I'm happy for the win8 patch Nemo posted. :)

Interesting I'd find performance in large battles with wine patch if you like to try. But should perfrom ok I guess.

cheers
Nemo1701
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Nemo1701 »

Hey guys :D

Am glad to hear its working for everybody, over the last few days I have been trying to find a fix for the slow window focus. I have been mostly looking at older windows ddraw.dll files, I tried them all from 95 to win7, all caused crashes in trek.exe :(. (Mostly because ddraw.dll calls kernel32.dll api's causing "sunmapls_ip_ebp_20 could not be located in ddraw.dll" error.)

I then tried to cross compile the wine latest wine dll's from source on Ubuntu, as the ones in the fix are from the windows on wine project last built in 2010, sadly the cross compiled dll's crashed but botf does work on the latest wine.

Would anyone else be able to have a go at cross compiling the wine dll's for windows?, I mite have messed it up. At the moment am going to take a look at starting botf in another program that forces trek.exe into focus.

This is just a fix for the moment really, flockes mpr++ is the future of this game. :)

Nemo
Smoothgrandmama
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: Windows 8 problems/solutions please post them here

Post by Smoothgrandmama »

thunderchero wrote:
Smoothgrandmama wrote:The program is crashing every 7 or 8 turns...using mpr++
Are you using any 1024 patch? if so uninstall then reinstall without 1024.

thunderchero

I'm pretty sure I wasn't. None the less I uninstalled Mpr++ and am using the the Fix in the other thread.
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

installed the fix on win8 comp, lag time disappeared in sp. in mp, crash on 1st turn. this was udm. too bad...:(

edit: shud I have same files installed on non-win8 comp when playing mp?
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

ruthlessferengi wrote:edit: shud I have same files installed on non-win8 comp when playing mp?
I doubt any testing of this fix has been done in MP, but yes that would be my first suggestion (to have same files on all system if 1 system uses files)

thunderchero
ruthlessferengi

Post by ruthlessferengi »

hm... curious... i did that (placed those files in udml folder) on win 7 computer... it took 15 sec to load but mp game was stable on dummy 15 turn run... i suppose I'll need to remove the files if I play with other player on non-win 8 unpatched computer ... at least can play mp at home then:)
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
downeaster59
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by downeaster59 »

I've had BOTF for years, but I'm fairly new here. I just bought a Surface Pro, and I'm trying to see if BOTF will work on it.

When I tried installing and running it (before discovering this possible fix), the game ran, but I only saw the upper left hand corner of the screen. That wasn't good. So, I fooled around with the compatibility settings. I found that when I checked "disable display scaling on high DPI settings", I could see the whole screen, but it was smallish. I've been looking to see if I could come up with a "just right" size.

When I added the three files from this thread to my botf folder, I get the little "Trek.exe has stopped working" window, with the icon on the taskbar. If I do alt-tab, or click my mouse, I get a black screen and then a white one, but no game. Am I missing something?
DarExc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by DarExc »

thunderchero wrote:Hi DarExc,

You do realize you have to install mpr++ to each install path?

thunderchero
Darn, I didn't and it seems All the Ages isn't supported :(
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

DarExc wrote:Darn, I didn't and it seems All the Ages isn't supported :(
Yep, there are no replacement ships available for now.
DarExc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by DarExc »

Oh well, it is pretty awesome even in vanilla, nochmals ich danke dir! :D
Sisiutl
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Sisiutl »

Hi I'm new to this site. I'm trying to get the vanilla game to run correctly on Win8. I see posts saying MPR++ fixes the mouse lag issue, which is making my game unplayable, but I don't see where to get that mod or what I need to do to install it.

Sorry if this is repetitive, as I said I'm brand new to the site and have gone through this thread but I haven't had a chance to read many other ones.

Thanks

Return to “Support Archive”